VOGONS

Reply 800 of 1061, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
EmperorStorky wrote on 2021-11-28, 10:30:

Yesterday I filled in the form. What will be the next step? And how long it can take from filling up the form -> payment -> receiving the card?
I am very hyped to get my card.

Can I connect the MT-32 and SC-55 mkII simultaneous and use one or the other depending on the game?

Hi!
You now have to wait a bit for our contact. It will be soon.
About connecting both MT32 and SC55MK2 , you can do it.
You use our provided cable and you need to get a midi cable to connect on Joystick port of Orpheus sound card. Just set the jumpers correctly. You also need a mixer so you can select your audio output.
You can get these cables on Ebay or make your own.

Cheers!

Reply 801 of 1061, by EmperorStorky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Marmes wrote on 2021-11-28, 15:23:
Hi! You now have to wait a bit for our contact. It will be soon. About connecting both MT32 and SC55MK2 , you can do it. You use […]
Show full quote

Yesterday I filled in the form. What will be the next step? And how long it can take from filling up the form -> payment -> receiving the card?

Can I connect the MT-32 and SC-55 mkII simultaneous and use one or the other depending on the game?

Hi!
You now have to wait a bit for our contact. It will be soon.
About connecting both MT32 and SC55MK2 , you can do it.
You use our provided cable and you need to get a midi cable to connect on Joystick port of Orpheus sound card. Just set the jumpers correctly. You also need a mixer so you can select your audio output.
You can get these cables on Ebay or make your own.

Cheers!

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to receive it 😀

Reply 802 of 1061, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

this is also a great solution to get 2xOUT midi from the gameport if you don't need a joystick: https://www.serdashop.com/DB15MIDI

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 803 of 1061, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2021-11-28, 18:56:

this is also a great solution to get 2xOUT midi from the gameport if you don't need a joystick: https://www.serdashop.com/DB15MIDI

I remember asking Serge if he would be interested in making such a product but a DB-15 with a gameport would be such a fantastic device.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 804 of 1061, by micpp42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi - I just wanted to check, I filled out the interest form back in July but haven't heard anything. It's totally fine if you're not up to there yet but I just wanted to check I hadn't been missed out

Reply 805 of 1061, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
micpp42 wrote on 2021-12-02, 05:47:

Hi - I just wanted to check, I filled out the interest form back in July but haven't heard anything. It's totally fine if you're not up to there yet but I just wanted to check I hadn't been missed out

that's more or less where things are at the moment... the component shortages (andnot just chips one, passive components are also affected) slowed things somewhat too...
send me an email at the dallas..... address and I will check things for you 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 806 of 1061, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It takes a while due to the acquisition of parts and hand assembly. It's also expensive but is worth it. I also got the MIDI accessory which makes this a killer card in a small form factor or when paired with a board that has only one or two ISA slots.

My Orpheus lives in a tiny case with an micro ATX board that I can quickly pull off of a shelf with an absolute minimum of fuss. This is my use case and I love it.

I'm very happy with my purchase. 😀

Reply 807 of 1061, by DieKatzchen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just got mine today and it's beautiful. Hope to get a chance to try it out in-game tomorrow. I have a question, though. I have a sketchy, cheapo usb-to-midi cable that I was gonna use with munt on a laptop in order to test it out. Are the outputs optoisolated? Because I don't know if the cable is and given what I paid for it I sort of doubt it. I don't want to fry my beautiful new board.

[Edit] Wait, I'm dumb, the opto goes on midi INPUTS, this is a midi output. I'll have to open it up and check. [/Edit]

Reply 808 of 1061, by Shcookius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick question that I think I may already know the answer to:

Does the Orpheus require -5 volts on the ISA slot like some Soundblaster cards? I dont think I saw anything on the website about it. Thanks!

Reply 809 of 1061, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shcookius wrote on 2021-12-16, 00:30:

Does the Orpheus require -5 volts on the ISA slot like some Soundblaster cards? I dont think I saw anything on the website about it. Thanks!

Fortunately, that was discussed in this thread; look here for the answer directly from keropi.

Reply 811 of 1061, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think a couple of months ... Depending on how many do not get back at us and the dreaded chip and parts availability...

Reply 813 of 1061, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CPLD, the nichicon gold caps, the opamp, this month is a couple of resistor values the next is some cap values... The market is really not stable atm

Reply 814 of 1061, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see how that can be a problem.

I just stocked up on a lot of parts just in case and things seem to be getting more expensive and the shipping delays can bad pretty bad even on basic components.

I usually order in bulk from AliExpress I've been seeing a visible shift in the market there.

Reply 815 of 1061, by Dusko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I just wanted to share with you the best way I found to set up several midi modules on a retro PC:
-Connect your Sound card midi out to a MOTU Micro Express midi in (this is a midi interface with 4 inputs, 6 outputs)
(I use a HardMPU with Intelligent mode midi out since my current sound card is a SB Pro 2)
-Connect the MOTU midi outs to the midi modules ins
-Connect your midi modules audio outs to a small mixer, I use a Fifine N5 mixer
-Connect the mixer out to the line in of the sound card
-Connect the sound card line out to your speakers
-OR connect your sound card and modules audio outs to the mixer and from there to the speakers
More info here: Share your retro gaming 486 Audio / Midi set up!

Back to topic, question for the Orpheus creators, I filled up the form for one Orpheus around a year ago or so. If I remember correctly, I asked a few questions but haven't hear back. Should I fill it up again or just wait until they're back in stock?

https://www.youtube.com/@myoldpc9458

Reply 817 of 1061, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dusko wrote on 2021-12-27, 07:00:

[...]
Back to topic, question for the Orpheus creators, I filled up the form for one Orpheus around a year ago or so. If I remember correctly, I asked a few questions but haven't hear back. Should I fill it up again or just wait until they're back in stock?

send me a PM or email with your info so I can look it up

Reply 819 of 1061, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bestemor wrote on 2022-01-01, 16:10:

Just now stumbled over this awesome project !
And got curious, as to how many such cards (both versions) are actually made/planned made for now ?
In total that is.

It's not my project, but I wouldn't be divulging actual numbers produced. As a potential customer, it's not relevant anyhow. I suspect that the plan is to keep producing the cards as long as the parts remain available and there is interest from the community.

The way it works for now is that the cards are assembled and tested in response to people expressing interest via the Web site or direct contact with keropi or Marmes. When you are close to the top of the list, one of them will contact you to ask if you're still interested and arrange payment. Although they have mentioned difficulty sourcing some parts, they are still getting the cards to those who are interested, so there is no immediate need to worry about them running out of cards. If you want one, you'll get your turn.