Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 3561 of 5847, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still slowly progressing through Jagged Alliance. After recovering my believed to be lost quicksave, I went on to take back about the 1/3 of the island? Finally found armor and better guns for almost everyone, and even hired a mechanic to begin keeping them in better repair to boot! My economy is roughly positive, although most of my mercs got raises, and my payout for tree sap got slashed. However I still have room to grow in my existing processing facilities, so I'm confident I can get solidly into the positive soon.

I'm debating replaying the last day though. I got inappropriately shellacked during what should have been a milk run, and the enemy invaded one of my sectors, and took out all 8 guards with only 5 attacking mercs, taking not a single loss. Also Brenda got kidnapped because of it. Also it's a super pain in the ass sector to have to retake. Absolutely hate it's terrain.

But who knows, maybe I'll try to make a go of retaking it with the mercs I have left in good health.

I'm enjoying the game. But I find myself feeling more confused than I aught to with the lack of feedback. Like for example, if I'm playing Battletech 2016, it gives me a breakdown of exactly why I have the to hit odds I have. Lets me know I'm at extreme range with the weapon, the enemy has cover, I have high ground, they enemy has evasion active, etc. Nothing is left to mystery, and it's instructive as to how to play better. Jagged Alliance doesn't even show me my odds, much less explain them. So I find myself not really having any clear notion of how to play better, and the RNG is just making me superstitious about what may or may not be "good play".

I'm also encountering more zones that have enemies locked in buildings I have no obvious way of accessing. All the doors are locked, none of the keys I have on me work, and I can't pick the locks. Once a room was small enough that I was able to shoot through the windows and get them. Other times I've just had to give up on the sector. Although lately I've been trying to loot things that do not look even remotely lootable and finding keys that open those frustratingly closed off area. Like broken vats of unidentifiable sludge. So go figure.

Setbacks and confusion aside, I'm still enjoying it, and as of now plan to try to go the distance with it.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3562 of 5847, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joakim wrote on 2021-11-28, 14:26:

Playing a bit of Lost Vikings. First time on PC, it's a SNES game for me. Sounds amazing though on my MP32L by Serdashop. 😁

I had the demo of that for the Amiga, but it came out I think just as the whole Amiga market was collapsing and I never found the full game. Then I got a PC version, which IIRC had modest hardware requirements and played quite well. Then there was an official free release packaged with DOSbox in the style of GoG that I got about 5 years ago and dip into on modern rigs, but I haven't really settled down to play it beyond a couple of levels in ages. Feels kinda clumsy with keyboard, better with a pad or stick.

edit: hmmm, that's probably one that's worth the bother of getting onto my Leapfrog handheld somehow. (This if you're curious https://hackaday.com/2013/11/08/linux-on-a-le … game-emulation/ )

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3563 of 5847, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-11-30, 01:38:
Joakim wrote on 2021-11-28, 14:26:

Playing a bit of Lost Vikings. First time on PC, it's a SNES game for me. Sounds amazing though on my MP32L by Serdashop. 😁

I had the demo of that for the Amiga, but it came out I think just as the whole Amiga market was collapsing and I never found the full game. Then I got a PC version, which IIRC had modest hardware requirements and played quite well. Then there was an official free release packaged with DOSbox in the style of GoG that I got about 5 years ago and dip into on modern rigs, but I haven't really settled down to play it beyond a couple of levels in ages. Feels kinda clumsy with keyboard, better with a pad or stick.

edit: hmmm, that's probably one that's worth the bother of getting onto my Leapfrog handheld somehow. (This if you're curious https://hackaday.com/2013/11/08/linux-on-a-le … game-emulation/ )

I agree that it plays better with a gamepad it is somewhat clunky. Should be possible on a DOS compatible gamepad I guess. Emulation is not really my thing these days..

Reply 3564 of 5847, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finished Deus Ex. Had a great time with the game, it absolutely holds up even after all these years. Excellent story, memorable characters, decent voice acting and fantastic gameplay.

It remains one of those few, timeless games that I can wholeheartedly recommend. In case there are people who still haven't played it, be sure to give it a try.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3565 of 5847, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Started playing a copy of Hades I bought months ago. This might be the only roguelike I've ever played where I honestly don't mind failing over and over because it means getting more dialogue with these fun characters. Favorite weapon so far is the shield for its sheer versatility, though the inexplicable ancient Greek railgun is also pretty fun to play around with. I will admit that I suck at it, so my progress has been slow and I'll probably be playing this for a while.

[Insert late-aughts overly-elaborate animated signature banner here]

Reply 3566 of 5847, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2021-11-14, 14:45:

That's awesome. Did you play Phantasie on original hardware? If so, tell me a little about your rig...

Hey cluless1, I was looking through the photo album on my phone, and found this photo I took when I first started playing Phantasie on my Apple II. I thought you might get a kick out of it!

Attachments

Reply 3567 of 5847, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Played some Grand Prix 4 mods on my M1 MBA through CrossOver. Some fun here and there.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 3568 of 5847, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am currently playing:

a) Pokemon Lets go Eevee -> because I'm just a sucker for cute pokemon games and given it's almost retro.
b) Final Fantasy 7 -> Replaying on a retro computer it while listening to all the music on my SC-55. It's a damn good experience!
c) Tales of Vesperia -> Just a middle of the road JRPG ... nothing special, but inoffensive and relaxing to play. Enjoyed Tales of Beseria much more.

Reply 3569 of 5847, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote on 2021-12-02, 03:53:
I am currently playing: […]
Show full quote

I am currently playing:

a) Pokemon Lets go Eevee -> because I'm just a sucker for cute pokemon games and given it's almost retro.
b) Final Fantasy 7 -> Replaying on a retro computer it while listening to all the music on my SC-55. It's a damn good experience!
c) Tales of Vesperia -> Just a middle of the road JRPG ... nothing special, but inoffensive and relaxing to play. Enjoyed Tales of Beseria much more.

Pokemon Lets Go may have been one of my favorite games that year.

I always bounce off Pokemon games. I get them because they are well loved, and I always think I'll enjoy the next one. But I might get through the first gym challenge when I just get profoundly bored. I can never entirely understand what it is about them that people love so much. I wish I knew what it was. I enjoy JRPGs from time to time. I like old school turn based combat. But mainline Pokemon games always feel extra tedious to me somehow.

Anyways, I completely clicked with the Lets Go spin off. With combat being peppered meaningfully throughout, but Pokemon catching and training being broken out into it's own minigame, I found myself finally vibing with the experience of Pokemon I always hear other people lovingly describe. The fantastic journey, the feeling of growth, the bonding with your meticulously captured and trained team. It finally happened for me.

Then I tried the next mainline game and I didn't like it again. Oh well!

Hope you are enjoying your journey through Lets Go as much as I did.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3570 of 5847, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Namrok wrote on 2021-12-02, 04:22:

Hope you are enjoying your journey through Lets Go as much as I did.

Yeah, I'm having fun. The biggest gripe I have is to do with the joycons. ... they get uncomfortable after extended play sessions.

Eevee is adorable though.

Reply 3571 of 5847, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The waiting game: featuring my POS laptop and my PS2 SCPH-50001 copying my PS2 titles to my 200GB Maxtor HDD (network sharing on my laptop with the Wi-Fi disabled since bridging the network fails or causes it to lock up).

Avg speed of 1.2MBps.

Played a bit of Stuntman and I'll play it once I get my other titles installed and get the memory card files set up.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 3572 of 5847, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-11-30, 21:05:

It remains one of those few, timeless games that I can wholeheartedly recommend. In case there are people who still haven't played it, be sure to give it a try.

Considering a playthrough but just vanilla DX + that recent Lady Denton project

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3574 of 5847, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2021-12-02, 08:16:

Considering a playthrough but just vanilla DX + that recent Lady Denton project

Oh nice! I didn't know that existed.

And yeah, I played the stock version of the game as well. Not a fan of those gameplay balance altering mods like Shifter and whatnot.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3575 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
newtmonkey wrote on 2021-12-01, 17:07:
clueless1 wrote on 2021-11-14, 14:45:

That's awesome. Did you play Phantasie on original hardware? If so, tell me a little about your rig...

Hey cluless1, I was looking through the photo album on my phone, and found this photo I took when I first started playing Phantasie on my Apple II. I thought you might get a kick out of it!

That's awesome...thank you. 😀

What is the doohicky in front of the keyboard with the ribbon connector?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3576 of 5847, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2021-12-02, 11:31:

What is the doohicky in front of the keyboard with the ribbon connector?

That's Floppy Emu, a floppy emulator so you can just load disk images from SD card. Very convenient!

Reply 3577 of 5847, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That feels like sacrilege on an 8 bit... should use an MP3 player on the cassette port 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3579 of 5847, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2021-12-04, 08:20:

Finished Gabriel Knight 2 under DOS. Quite an emotional ending. I am starting to become convinced the genre of FMV is criminally underrated.

There's some gold in there. Some "gold" as well like the greatly camp FMVs in Jedi Knight. Sadly most people remember the garbage that the SegaCD/MegaCD had dumped on to it so often.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png