VOGONS

First post, by zago27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First published somewhere in April 2020, first started getting user contributions in late December 2020, better late than never!
I'm proudly announcing my own spin on hardware information repositories with The Retro Web.
Enter a growing library of user-submitted motherboards, spanning from the earliest PC-compatible specimens to the latest and greatest in computer tech. Because Ryzen will be retro at some point in the future... right?
Oh, and we have something that resembles a blog as well!
And if you really feel like it, it's available in both HTTP and HTTPS. We've also gone crazy worked hard to make it compatible with older browsers, but beware of spotty feature support... It seems almost fully compatible with IE6 and somewhat usable with IE4. No dice for Netscape or early Firefox, sorry.

Feel free to get in touch with our international team of contributors and enthusiasts on Discord at https://discord.gg/npehtTcYFw or via email at info@theretroweb.com

Below, I've collected some of the questions which I think would be the most asked around, but feel free to chime in with your own!

Q: Yet another Total Hardware 1999 clone?!
A: No, actually.
I've started this project from scratch, almost as fun programming exercise during lockdown boredom. For some reason, I've never heard of TH99 (or haven't paid enough attention, I guess), so I didn't use it as a starting data set.
I had occasionally and probably unknowingly used Stason, because of good Google rankings, with its... uhm... pros and cons, but none of the currently online TH99 clones had all the information I needed. So here we are, after a webdev blood bath, with a new say in the matter of board info!

Q: But there's Ultimate Retro already, what's going on?
A: I'm very glad to say that we're having a very productive collaboration between the two projects: I've worked on the Italian translation and contributed with some entries for UR; Deksor helped with some behind-the-scenes programming; computerguy08 helped with some UI elements and still contributes with his own hardware entries. In fact, we both went online at about the same time without knowing each other!
I'm sure you already noticed the difference in the sheer amount of entries UR has accumulated, which definitely is an advantage of starting from a pre-existing data set. But you will also notice that starting from scratch means I had complete freedom for choosing what info to collect, without having to adapt someone else's material.

Q: Sounds great! How do I contribute?
A: Weeell... Since we're not exactly ready for direct user access, we're going through some less-than-ideal steps.
In our Discord server, we have a #submissions channel, where we collect some starting points for an entry. Someone with access to the administration panel will fill in the submission form for you, align the information so it matches everything else already on the site and then publish it for good.
Not a Discord fan? No worries, you can get in touch via good ol' reliable electronic mail!
I'm perfectly aware this method is clumsy and can lead to problems: I'm planning to have more free access, with full user profiles and other useful features. But that's coming next year... 😀

Q: Wow, no ads?
A: I hate them about as much as you do. Maybe. I'll do the best I can to avoid littering the place with annoying blinking banners and gratuitous useless third-party adverts.
Traffic is light enough that I don't need massive hosting power, bandwidth nor storage space, so private funding from me myself is still sustainable for the time being. But no worries, if you like the site and you want to support us financially, I left all the available options in a dedicated page.

Your friendly neighborhood hardware database and blog, The Retro Web

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting. One thing you might want to change: do not put the latest motherboards at the top. For some reason that does not appeal to an old fart. Better to put a direct link on the "motherboard database" words
(AKA: Hardware Entries) in bigger print and drop those latest boards down a bit... just my opinion. But wtf do I know 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 6, by zago27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, absolutely, we can work out a retouched layout. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Reply 6 of 6, by zago27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The project merged with Ultimate Retro, while maintaining its original name.
You can still find us at https://theretroweb.com.
Expect some old links to be broken, since not all boards have been migrated to the new database just yet.

This thread should be considered closed, use the official thread instead -> The Retro Web project - a better stason.org/TH99 alternative