VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 41320 of 52723, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This weird little card - sound + gameport + VGA to composite video - seller's pics.

card.jpg
Filename
card.jpg
File size
306.06 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
ports.jpg
Filename
ports.jpg
File size
136.96 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
card_and_cables.jpg
Filename
card_and_cables.jpg
File size
191 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I don't think it actually needs a driver.
Looks to me like the VGA to RCA will always be active. One end of the cable goes to the video card, one to this weird little card, and the other to a monitor.

Has OPL2 for FM, but I am guessing it also supports Sound Blaster as there are IRQ jumpers and one other jumper.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 41321 of 52723, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ I don't see anything on that card that would indicate SB support - not enough chips 🤣
the vga->cvbs converter is a cool addition I guess for back then... still on the weird side though

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 41322 of 52723, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-12-04, 07:24:
This weird little card - sound + gameport + VGA to composite video - seller's pics. card.jpg ports.jpg card_and_cables.jpg […]
Show full quote

This weird little card - sound + gameport + VGA to composite video - seller's pics.
card.jpg
ports.jpg
card_and_cables.jpg

Looks to me like the VGA to RCA will always be active. One end of the cable goes to the video card, one to this weird little card, and the other to a monitor.

Has OPL2 for FM, but I am guessing it also supports Sound Blaster as there are IRQ jumpers and one other jumper.

Oddware card.

Whoever made that probably wanted to make an AIO card so that you don't have to use 2 slots and only use 1 slot.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 41323 of 52723, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote on 2021-12-04, 00:05:

I remember making folders in win9x dos mode using ALT+255. Windows 9x couldn't handle it in the GUI, but had no problems in CLI. Teachers shit bricks when they tried to open the "test answers" folder that had nothing in it.

The entire school district admins knew who I was and was seriously tired of my shit.

If it wasn't for hardware upgrades (and personnel upgrades) , I'd be absolutely sure there is still a cracked copy of StarCraft Broodwar floating about the district server pool. ^.^

ALT+255 was my goto "hidden" folder name as well. Surprised to note that ALT+255 and ALT+0255 are not the same thing 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 41324 of 52723, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2021-12-04, 07:10:

They all appear to be working, so now I just have to figure out what to do with 8 Dualhead G450s

Well now you only need 16x 50" panels and an airtime expired helicopter for the cockpit.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 41325 of 52723, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-04, 14:35:
TrashPanda wrote on 2021-12-04, 07:10:

They all appear to be working, so now I just have to figure out what to do with 8 Dualhead G450s

Well now you only need 16x 50" panels and an airtime expired helicopter for the cockpit.

Oh Shit

Now you done it

BRB checking prices, I gotta build my own flight simulator with retro parts!

Reply 41326 of 52723, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2021-12-04, 08:59:

Whoever made that probably wanted to make an AIO card so that you don't have to use 2 slots and only use 1 slot.

You still need two slots - one for soundcard and one for VGA. This one is just vga to composite + adlib compatibility. I like how odd it is.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 41327 of 52723, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Needs to be installed alongside two Voodoo2, the actual VGA card and an MPEG-1 card for maximum splitter and passthrough chaos.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 41328 of 52723, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some more trashy motherboards I just got from a local electro-trash supplier met at electronics flee market here. Of course none of these are tested but the price was adequate... hopefully some of them work.

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 41329 of 52723, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-04, 20:08:

Needs to be installed alongside two Voodoo2, the actual VGA card and an MPEG-1 card for maximum splitter and passthrough chaos.

Ewww... I can only imagine the video quality reduction. I might have to do that.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 41330 of 52723, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@cyclone3d

Thats NEAT!! I love one-off cards like that.

I thought at first it just injected adlib audio into the same svga cable to a special monitor like those Apple AudioVision monitors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_AudioVision_14_Display I really want to get one or two of those monitors. I remember looking at those with pre-teen envy, as they came out with the original PPC macs.

with a cursory google search, there exists(ed) a chip called the AD724 https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-doc … heets/AD724.pdf it looks very simple, and only requires a few passives. I don't know WHY you need this, unless you wanted a cheap and crappy way to record your computer screen to VHS.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 41331 of 52723, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-12-04, 07:24:
This weird little card - sound + gameport + VGA to composite video - seller's pics. card.jpg ports.jpg card_and_cables.jpg […]
Show full quote

card.jpg
ports.jpg
card_and_cables.jpg

Having thought about this odd card .. is it possible its a form of capture card that is outputting both Audio and Video to external capture hardware ?

Reply 41332 of 52723, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well it hasn't got the RAM for a single frame capture and if you paused the source it would have to do it with the host CPU bitbanging, and it doesn't have as much as an op amp for a ramp generator for a crude ADC, so max depth of 1 bit per pixel? ... so it's either an extremely crappy capture card.. the kind of thing you'd do for robot vision experiments in 1968... or it's not one.

Reply 41334 of 52723, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought this gorgeous Pentium IV era fully transparent acrylic case. Incl. transparent ATX PSU with -5V rail and decent +5V power...

I don't usually work with 2000+ era retro hardware. But this case made me think about doing a Socket 423 build.

However, I have another plan for a very special rare build using the case (more to come).

DSC_1085-scaled.jpeg
DSC_1086-scaled.jpeg

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 41337 of 52723, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's an Apevia OEM'd PSU. Recap it (the caps are downright atrocious on these) and it should live another century.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 41338 of 52723, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mpe wrote on 2021-12-05, 11:41:
I bought this gorgeous Pentium IV era fully transparent acrylic case. Incl. transparent ATX PSU with -5V rail and decent +5V pow […]
Show full quote

I bought this gorgeous Pentium IV era fully transparent acrylic case. Incl. transparent ATX PSU with -5V rail and decent +5V power...

I don't usually work with 2000+ era retro hardware. But this case made me think about doing a Socket 423 build.

However, I have another plan for a very special rare build using the case (more to come).

DSC_1085-scaled.jpeg
DSC_1086-scaled.jpeg

I hope you're at least going to have a couple of Barracudas in your fish tank 🤣

Reply 41339 of 52723, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Brickpad wrote on 2021-11-24, 17:40:

Bought this pair of Wyse Winterm wt8440xl thin clients (socket 7). One boots according to the seller, and the other just beeps. Both come with their respective power supply. I'm hoping I can get two fully working units out of this.

Any luck getting these working?