VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by djsubtronic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know the name of this old media player? The UI mimicked a real Hi-Fi system with a different deck that allowed CD playback, a "tape deck" that allowed to play local media files (iirc you the tape also spun while music was playing). I can't for the life of me remember what it was called nor find anything using my vague searches on Google.

Reply 1 of 18, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had something like that for win 3.x but don't remember if it came with a soundcard or an optical drive or was a coverdisk freebie (Not something I was likely to go out and buy or put much effort into finding to download)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 18, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AudioStation?

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 3 of 18, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote on 2021-12-01, 19:49:

AudioStation?

That's the one I had for sure. Voyetra branded most likely.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 18, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess AudioStation was made by Voyetra, and sold with various cards with OEM branding.
With ESS cards, there was AudioRack - probably ESS's own work.
And there was similar software provided with GUS, not sure what exactly... Sound Impression?

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 5 of 18, by djsubtronic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies - it's definitely AudioStation or AudioRack - it was on a Compaq PC so I'm leaning towards AudioRack as Compaqs tended to have ESS cards a lot.

Edit: Ok so it was the AudioStation (1.0) after all, got it working (attached) thanks again guys.

Attachments

• 20211202_001800.jpg
    Filename
    20211202_001800.jpg
    File size
    181.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 18, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember using either Audiostation or Media Rack in my Windows 3.1 (ane early Windosw 95) days, but couldn't remember which.

pg90tjlwp3tf.jpg
Audiostation.

poix8a5d16an.jpg
Media Rack.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 18, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grzyb wrote on 2021-12-01, 22:56:

I guess AudioStation was made by Voyetra, and sold with various cards with OEM branding.
With ESS cards, there was AudioRack - probably ESS's own work.
And there was similar software provided with GUS, not sure what exactly... Sound Impression?

For the GUS PnP there was WinDecks. Don't know if there was a GUS GF1 version.

YouTube

Reply 10 of 18, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rawit wrote on 2021-12-02, 07:58:

OK, found it - that stuff provided with GF1 GUSes was Sound Impression by Midisoft.

sifw.png
Filename
sifw.png
File size
141.05 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 18, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grzyb wrote on 2021-12-02, 09:08:
Rawit wrote on 2021-12-02, 07:58:

OK, found it - that stuff provided with GF1 GUSes was Sound Impression by Midisoft.

sifw.png

Awesome, I'm going to find and install this 😁 .

YouTube

Reply 12 of 18, by mikedebian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been looking for this since 1998. Thank you! I've tried asking others about it, on other forums, but I think my english capabilities is keeping people from understanding what I was asking about because I could not describe the program good enough.

Now, I have been able to run it in Wine under Linux (Willow pond version). I only wish that people still made these types of audio rack players with this design today, preferably open source so it could be ported to non-dos/windows operating systems!

Now, if anybody has a copy of WittyScanner 72 paint software, that'd make my decade. I've been looking for that since 1995..

Included is a picture of it running under wine. No dependencies, all good. Doesn't connect to system mixer though 😀

I love this forum! Thank you again!

Attachments

Reply 13 of 18, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mikedebian wrote on 2021-12-05, 00:33:

Now, if anybody has a copy of WittyScanner 72 paint software, that'd make my decade. I've been looking for that since 1995..

If you mean "Image 72", then it's easy to find - it was commonly bundled with some scanners.
With some luck, you can even find a boxed set, and it won't even be expensive - old scanners don't get much love...

wscanc_000.png
Filename
wscanc_000.png
File size
22.23 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 15 of 18, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to add to the confusion, my Media Vision MV2200 multimedia package included "Sound Impression for Media Vision." It's similar, but not identical to Grzyb's image above.

Reply 17 of 18, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mikedebian wrote on 2021-12-05, 13:25:

Where can I get it/purchase? Image 72 gives back so many different results!

Obviously it was bundled with various products, I've also found an A4Tech branded version, probably from one of their mice.
If you want more details, create a separate thread - hopefully somebody recalls which exactly products it came with...

pmtc_000.png
Filename
pmtc_000.png
File size
28.25 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 18 of 18, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2021-12-05, 17:35:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/audio-rack-media-player/

Someone ported the damn thing, so you can use it with today's systems.

Haha, that's awesome! 😁

According to the website, it's by the original author.
https://www.audiostation.org/

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto