VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 240 of 1005, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Claris wrote:

or for a grossly inflated price. That is the worst kind of hoarding, IMO.

Welcome to capitalism! Your first time here?

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 241 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-12-06, 11:58:
Claris wrote:

Perhaps they reside in a uhm non capitalist country and the entire concept is foreign to them.

Im not sure what the rules are here about political stuff so ill side on the side of caution.

They do have a point about the prices however, the last two years has seen grossly inflated prices become ...even more insane, shortages and demand will do that.

Reply 242 of 1005, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My view is this... If you don't want to pay eBay prices, then you will usually need to shop elsewhere. However, there are still good/great deals to be found on eBay, it is just not as common as it used to be.

The government giving out "free" money doesn't help.

If you are selling and ascribe to the "sell it for what I think this should go for" and not the "sell it for th going price" method, if you price it too low, then somebody is very likely to buy it and resell it for the inflated eBay price that it normally goes for.

As for inflation... here in the USA, some things such as food, fuel, vehicles, housing, etc. have seen a 25-50% + increase in price over the last year or so.

That's what happens when the government prints money and hands it out like it is going out of style.

People are literally getting into bidding wars for houses and are paying upwards of 20% over the asking price which is already crazily inflated.

And it is only going to get worse until it all comes crashing down... which is entirely by design.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 243 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-12-06, 14:53:
My view is this... If you don't want to pay eBay prices, then you will usually need to shop elsewhere. However, there are still […]
Show full quote

My view is this... If you don't want to pay eBay prices, then you will usually need to shop elsewhere. However, there are still good/great deals to be found on eBay, it is just not as common as it used to be.

The government giving out "free" money doesn't help.

If you are selling and ascribe to the "sell it for what I think this should go for" and not the "sell it for th going price" method, if you price it too low, then somebody is very likely to buy it and resell it for the inflated eBay price that it normally goes for.

As for inflation... here in the USA, some things such as food, fuel, vehicles, housing, etc. have seen a 25-50% + increase in price over the last year or so.

That's what happens when the government prints money and hands it out like it is going out of style.

People are literally getting into bidding wars for houses and are paying upwards of 20% over the asking price which is already crazily inflated.

And it is only going to get worse until it all comes crashing down... which is entirely by design.

God .. here in Australia House prices are absurd, like even millionaires have trouble buying houses here because both Sydney and Melbourne are seeing houses that normally sell for sub 1 million sell for nearly twice that (Some for a lot more, three to four times isnt weird) now. Im not looking foward to the coming crash when the market bursts from the weight of massive inflation.

Ebay does have some great deals if you are willing to have a little patience and not just buy at the first price being displayed, a lot of people selling the hardware are collectors also and are usually open to reasonable offers as they understand that Ebay prices are not actual realistic selling prices.

Point here is dont be afraid to talk to the seller and find out if they are open to reasonable offers, some are more than willing to haggle with a fellow collector over prices.

Reply 244 of 1005, by Claris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Claris wrote:

Nah, iv lived in it my entire life. The Canadian dollar being shite 90% of the time doesn't help things be less expensive either. Still doesn't mean i have to approve people hoarding piles of limited new GPUs or Xbox or whatever else is fresh and hot to sell. Especially during the shortage.

Its not *illegal* so your more then welcome to do it. Business is business. But you'll also be an asshole in my book, and i personally won't be buying from you. If someone else wants too, hey its their money. You do as you please.

My comment to that one guy selling earlier was said as a joke.

Reply 245 of 1005, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding retro stuff, I usually prefer trading items of similar value with people who I know will appreciate what they're getting, instead of risking it getting sold to a speculator which will probably list it on eBay at 500% of the original price. I try to avoid buying things from sellers that don't have any interest in the scene other than making a profit (unless they have reasonable prices of course), and instead try to use my money to support community projects that build alternative options to rare hardware.

In general, and not restricted to retro hardware, scalping in general has become a really annoying issue with almost any kind of non-essential items, not just with the really exclusive stuff as it used to be. For example, what happened (and is still happening) with the new generation consoles is bonkers, the component shortage is just a lame excuse IMO, I think scalping is affecting way more than they want to admit, and it wouldn't surprise me if Sony/Microsoft and large stores are even part of it, since they barely take any measures to prevent it. Same goes for new GPUs. Drip-feeding stock of technology that is already 1 year old is absurd on this day and age.

Reply 246 of 1005, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, shortages at least partially real, so manufacturers have decided to scalp themselves. For example, prices for new and shiny DDR5 are just ridiculous, even the stock ones. And prices for overclocked modules are just batshit crazy.

Reply 247 of 1005, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The new adopter premium has always been like that for RAM.

Prices should drop like a rock once there are more and better options out there.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 249 of 1005, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Claris wrote on 2021-12-06, 06:06:

But buying retro computer things to flip later, presumably for ugly inflated Ebay prices and then claiming "There are no wrong ways to go about the hobby as long as you're enjoying yourself and not making other people's enjoyment suffer". Idk man. Sounds like you enjoy seeing peoples wallet suffer. Truly your profiteering ways are the enemy to all trying to stay on a budget 😜

But you don't see a problem in putting (for example) a GUS in a showcase? (Just posted yesterday here on Vogons.)
There's plenty of people who actually would want to USE that card. Hardware is ment to be used, not to be put in a goddamn showcase. If you want to put something in a showcase, collect post stamps or something else that doesn't have any use.
If it doesn't work, I didn't say anything. Better put it in a showcase, then to melt it down. But there are plenty of people who put working hardware, which is in high demand, into showcases.

Or lets get more extreme:
There are roughly a hundred Voodoo 5 6000 in existence. A quarter of them is in the possession of just 3 people!
There's a handful of people who own 2. I understand those people. If I had a V6000, I wouldn't just trust some random guy to repair it. I would want the best of the best to repair my card, if it ever breaks. It might take a while till I get it back. What shall I do in the meantime? Use my other V6000 of course.
But owning TEN V6000's is beyond reason. (Yes, there is someone who owns that many.)

Yeah, if libby wouldn't snatch them up, someone else would. For example me.
If I see something for a quarter of the usual price (talking about bids, not about rediculous asking prices), I'll snatch it up to sell it after a year (to avoid taxes). I have to, if I ever want to be able to outbid Martin Smith (fictional name) who wants to get a 1337th GUS for his showcases.
You should be glad, if the bargains are snatched up by people who actually are interested in the hobby (and might buy your hardware for a high price) and not by people who want to use the profits to pay for coke, hookers and a Mercedes.

Reply 250 of 1005, by Claris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2021-12-06, 18:47:
But you don't see a problem in putting (for example) a GUS in a showcase? (Just posted yesterday here on Vogons.) There's plenty […]
Show full quote

But buying retro computer things to flip later, presumably for ugly inflated Ebay prices and then claiming "There are no wrong ways to go about the hobby as long as you're enjoying yourself and not making other people's enjoyment suffer". Idk man. Sounds like you enjoy seeing peoples wallet suffer. Truly your profiteering ways are the enemy to all trying to stay on a budget 😜

But you don't see a problem in putting (for example) a GUS in a showcase? (Just posted yesterday here on Vogons.)
There's plenty of people who actually would want to USE that card. Hardware is ment to be used, not to be put in a goddamn showcase. If you want to put something in a showcase, collect post stamps or something else that doesn't have any use.
If it doesn't work, I didn't say anything. Better put it in a showcase, then to melt it down. But there are plenty of people who put working hardware, which is in high demand, into showcases.

Or lets get more extreme:
There are roughly a hundred Voodoo 5 6000 in existence. A quarter of them is in the possession of just 3 people!
There's a handful of people who own 2. I understand those people. If I had a V6000, I wouldn't just trust some random guy to repair it. I would want the best of the best to repair my card, if it ever breaks. It might take a while till I get it back. What shall I do in the meantime? Use my other V6000 of course.
But owning TEN V6000's is beyond reason. (Yes, there is someone who owns that many.)

Yeah, if libby wouldn't snatch them up, someone else would. For example me.
If I see something for a quarter of the usual price (talking about bids, not about rediculous asking prices), I'll snatch it up to sell it after a year (to avoid taxes). I have to, if I ever want to be able to outbid Martin Smith (fictional name) who wants to get a 1337th GUS for his showcases.
You should be glad, if the bargains are snatched up by people who actually are interested in the hobby (and might buy your hardware for a high price) and not by people who want to use the profits to pay for coke, hookers and a Mercedes.

I did not expect my friendly joke towards Libby to result in this deep a discussion haha.

Who said i don't have a problem with glass-case mentality? That is in fact my number one pet peeve with the retro gaming hobby. People who buy things just to shove them in a glass case to have sitting on a shelf. I'd rather people buy things because they actually want to USE said things, and enjoy them.

But maybe enjoying retro gaming to some people is just slabbing stuff and leaving them on the shelf. Either way im not personally a fan of it, but others are more then welcome to do what they will.

Last edited by Claris on 2021-12-06, 22:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 251 of 1005, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

People can do whatever they want with their personal property (within the law). It makes zero difference to me whether somebody puts an old sound card in a computer or in a display case. Anybody who gets worked up over that should probably reassess their priorities.

Reply 252 of 1005, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Plasma wrote on 2021-12-06, 22:16:

People can do whatever they want with their personal property (within the law). It makes zero difference to me whether somebody puts an old sound card in a computer or in a display case. Anybody who gets worked up over that should probably reassess their priorities.

+1

We’re talking about old computer hardware here, not medical supplies.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 253 of 1005, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Definitely a "first-world problem".

I don't love the environmental principle that 15 dead dinosaurs were burned to make each graphics card as a powerful productive tool, just so one of we Professor Frinks can get our jollies from sneaking admiring glances at it on the shelf every 20 seconds.

But (looks around room at wealth of entirely-voluntary belongings, mostly not in current usage) I can't talk, not at all.

And are those admiring glances really so much different than the ones we'd instead direct at the graphics they create?

Reply 254 of 1005, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:

The new adopter premium has always been like that for RAM.

Nah, I don't remember it being that BAD from recent memory. Was it that ludicrous with RDRAM prices?

Reply 255 of 1005, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DDR-3 and DDR-4 were pretty bad as far as early adopter prices go. Maybe not as bad as DDR-5, but some of that has to do with the stupid inflation that is being forced on everybody.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 256 of 1005, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

""Currently, you can find a 128MB PC800 for under $600 if you shop around, but if you compare this to $100 you can pick up a generic 128MB PC133 module for, that's still quite pricey. ""

https://www.anandtech.com/show/545/10

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 258 of 1005, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I owned all 100 Voodoo 5 6000s I would destroy 99 of them. This would make the final card literally priceless. I could charge anything I liked for it. Millions and millions of dollars. It would be glorious.

(However this only works if there are only 100 in the world. If there's an asshole out there with no. 101 then my whole strategy fails.)

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 259 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote on 2021-12-07, 15:58:

If I owned all 100 Voodoo 5 6000s I would destroy 99 of them. This would make the final card literally priceless. I could charge anything I liked for it. Millions and millions of dollars. It would be glorious.

(However this only works if there are only 100 in the world. If there's an asshole out there with no. 101 then my whole strategy fails.)

How about an asshole that produces new Voodoo5 6000 cards ?

Its not like the parts are hard to get hold of nor is producing a PCB for it ...I guess you could say but its not original but does that honestly matter to the person who just wants one to use ?

As for your price .. well you can charge what ever you want doesnt mean itll sell for that or that anyone would actually buy it, so you plan also only works if there is a market for that one card you have.