VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I just can't win - I got this from Fedex (seems legit) - it seems a bit ridiculous and a cash grab, I've been sending PCs to the US for two decades and this has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've seen to date:

Good Evening, […]
Show full quote

Good Evening,

Since this computer has a CD-ROM drive it would need to be cleared through the US Food & Drug Administration as the laser is considered a radiation emitting device. My next question would be who would be the responsible party for entry fees?

If it is you the next question would be: do you have a U.S. Broker?

If not FedEx Trade Networks can clear this on your behalf but they would require for you to have U.S. Customs bond. Since the item is FDA regulated and needs to come through linked to a bond, normally for person to person shipments FedEx Trade Networks would use their bond but, unfortunately we can not for FDA regulated shipments as Fedex Ground is not a bonded carrier. The bond insures that all duties, taxes and liabilities fall on the bond holder.

If you wish for FedEx Trade Networks to clear I would need the attached service agreement to be filled out and returned to me. I will then forward that to our bond department and they will email you the form to get the bond in place. The fee for this service starts at $45.00

Thank you,

Is this a scam, or is there a way around it? I recently received a PC from eBay with the CDROM removed, and I couldn't figure out why. Maybe this?

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 1 of 27, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it might be legit. The FDA does have import codes for optical drives. I guess you should read up at the FDA about import regulations and prices.

Imho whether it's legit or not, it's a scam. Only it's worse if it's a legal scam.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 6 of 27, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't let that CD-ROM bite you. You might turn into https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3K_ldNFFjc

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 27, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is usually cheaper to use a different broker than Fedex or UPS, and there's such a thing as "self clearance" but that may require attendance at port of entry.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 27, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it's more a consumer safety when it's in the country than the radiation hazards in transit thing.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 27, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-09, 15:15:

I think it's more a consumer safety when it's in the country than the radiation hazards in transit thing.

Safety from what ..sharpened optical disks ?

a Rogue Optical drive axe murderer ?

or perhaps a mad scientist that has found a way to use blue lasers as a weapon ?

I have never known an Optical drive to be dangerous, so its a confusing rule when applied in this manner. Not so confusing for high powered laser device that can actually cause harm, like green laser pointers.

Reply 11 of 27, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The funny thing is, I had shipped dozens of PCs to the US already, mostly through CanadaPost. I just got tired of having my West coast parcels smashed and then CanadaPost putting me through a 5 month back and fourth to get my funds back.

I think the right answer next time is to not put the word Computer on the commercial invoice, just 486 or whatever it is that's going out. In this case, the bill will be footed to the customer, unfortunately.

I wonder if this applies to optical mice?

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 13 of 27, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2021-12-09, 15:18:

I have never known an Optical drive to be dangerous, so its a confusing rule when applied in this manner. Not so confusing for high powered laser device that can actually cause harm, like green laser pointers.

Optical drives aren't dangerous because there are principles of sound construction that make them not dangerous. The FDA would be concerned about making sure that drives that enter the country comply with those principles, so for example they don't leave the laser at full power and pointed at your eyes when you take a disc out.

Reply 15 of 27, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-09, 16:09:
TrashPanda wrote on 2021-12-09, 15:18:

Optical drives aren't dangerous because there are principles of sound construction that make them not dangerous. The FDA would be concerned about making sure that drives that enter the country comply with those principles, so for example they don't leave the laser at full power and pointed at your eyes when you take a disc out.

So its essentially enforcing a standard for construction of laser devices and their importation.

Reply 16 of 27, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right, so you gotta sign paper work to the effect of "I pinkie swear that this thing complies with relevant safety regulations"

Reply 18 of 27, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-09, 16:22:

Right, so you gotta sign paper work to the effect of "I pinkie swear that this thing complies with relevant safety regulations"

well .. I mean that doesnt always work 🤣 unless the fines are stupidly huge.

and even then . .some idiots are more than willing to game the system.

Reply 19 of 27, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
spiroyster wrote on 2021-12-09, 16:22:

Laser classification probably has something to do with it. Not al lasers are born equal.

Like Moon Lasers ?

I always wondered how Dr Evil managed to import the parts for his Laser.