VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What the title says; previously I was using DOSBox ECE but it would seem that Ant's pixel perfect patch is still broken. I'm aware of a couple options being DOSBox-X and DOSBox Staging but how do they compare in terms of feature set and stability and such? Which one has more active development and likely will have more longevity? I'm considering these kinds of things when trying to make my choice and would appreciate any insight that anyone can offer.

Reply 1 of 7, by FulValBot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With all games that support 320x200 resolution if i try to enable integer scaling option it scale 320x200 resolution to 1920x1440... (i have a 2k display); it's wrong because is not integer... only 1600x1200 is integer

so i prefer classic DOSBox version and i set manually that resolution (and i don't need any different version, until a real fix for this problem, that happen with all games that support/include that feature; i don't know if is a nvidia bug or not)

Reply 2 of 7, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox Staging is the best for DOS / Windows 3.11 and overall features (scaling, ...).

DOSBox-X is the best for emulating Windows 9X and can also work with PC-98 titles.

Reply 3 of 7, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox 0.74.3 and SVN should also be considered:
- 0.74.x is extensively tested and still drives many GoG releases to this day.
- SVN continues to be maintained with very careful updates (often to critical core emulation areas).
- SVN's sharp GLShader lets one dial in exact integer scaling by setting the output resolution.
- There's a lot of patches out there that continue to apply to 0.74.3 (or a range of SVN rev-numbers): so provides a basis for experimentation.

- SDL1 vs 2 - ultimately they're just a means end to abstract OS video/input/audio, and SDL1's proven itself to have extreme backward (and forward!) compatibility - measured in decades. So when it comes to tinkering with DOSBox on POSIX-ish variants (Solaris, BSDs, Haiku, etc..), SDL1 + DOSBox 0.74.3/SVN will have your back there, too.

Then there are the libretro forks, which offer their own advantages, especially when it comes to joystick standardization.

I see the ecosystem of forks as a Venn diagram - more slices of the DOSBox pie for everyone 😀

Reply 5 of 7, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are Staging and DOSBox-X still two of the stronger choices here? And forgive me if this was answered but I didn’t see it explicitly stated - do both of these have Ant’s pixel perfect patch?

Reply 7 of 7, by Rincewind42

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lukeman3000 wrote on 2023-06-23, 06:59:

Are Staging and DOSBox-X still two of the stronger choices here? And forgive me if this was answered but I didn’t see it explicitly stated - do both of these have Ant’s pixel perfect patch?

Current DOSBox Staging has the so-called "pixel-perfect" patch, but in the upcoming new release we're changing that to something better: integer scaling horizontally or vertically only so the correct aspect ratio is always maintained.

It's already there in the dev builds, so you can use it now if you want. It's great! 😎

See details here:
https://github.com/dosbox-staging/dosbox-staging/issues/2448

DOS: Soyo SY-5TF, MMX 200, 128MB, S3 Virge DX, ESS 1868F, AWE32, QWave, S2, McFly, SC-55, MU80, MP32L
Win98: Gigabyte K8VM800M, Athlon64 3200+, 512MB, Matrox G400, SB Live
WinXP: Gigabyte P31-DS3L, C2D 2.33 GHz, 2GB, GT 430, Audigy 4