What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 3600 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2021-12-07, 09:05:

Starting playing Bioforge (1995) on my Win95 PC. Oh the joys of mid 90s pre-hardware-accelerated 3D.

This is one of a handful of games remaining on my DOS playlist. I'm curious to read your thoughts on it as you get along with it. I will be (re)playing it myself someday. I did buy it when it was released but never got into it enough to spend more than a week or so with it.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3601 of 5944, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote on 2021-12-07, 11:32:
kolderman wrote on 2021-12-07, 09:05:

Starting playing Bioforge (1995) on my Win95 PC. Oh the joys of mid 90s pre-hardware-accelerated 3D.

This is one of a handful of games remaining on my DOS playlist. I'm curious to read your thoughts on it as you get along with it. I will be (re)playing it myself someday. I did buy it when it was released but never got into it enough to spend more than a week or so with it.

Initial thoughts -- it seems kind of groundbreaking for 1995. 3D, third person sci-fi action adventure. You can see the DNA of games like Deus Ex here. System Shock came out before it, but this is different genre. Being a CD game with cutscenes and digitized speech/sound but with MIDI music is also a rare combination for 1995, and nice to have as I like to make use of my midi stack wherever possible. And given it came out before Tomb Raider, it might be the first 3rd person action adventure in PC history for all I know. If there is a similar game that game out before it, I don't know what it is.

Reply 3602 of 5944, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2021-12-06, 07:58:

Command & Conquer will forever define FMV for me 😀

BLAM!

" Yes. Power shifts more quickly than some people think."

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3604 of 5944, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote on 2021-12-09, 08:43:
kolderman wrote on 2021-12-07, 18:30:

If there is a similar game that game out before it, I don't know what it is.

Alone in the Dark (1992)

Ečstatica (1994)

Reply 3605 of 5944, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got started on Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Happily playing a Lawful Evil Half-Elf noble Ecclesitheurge of Urgathoa who aspires to become undead and attain immortality, thereby outliving even her elven lineage whom she despises for never truly accepting her as one of their own. The first five hours are a somewhat cookie cutter RPG opener, but I think things will pick up considerably once I claim my barony and kingdom management kicks in. So far I like it, but it didn't grab me like Pillars of Eternity did, for example.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3606 of 5944, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote on 2021-12-09, 11:38:
leileilol wrote on 2021-12-09, 08:43:
kolderman wrote on 2021-12-07, 18:30:

If there is a similar game that game out before it, I don't know what it is.

Alone in the Dark (1992)

Ečstatica (1994)

You know, I've sporadically tried to hunt down a copy of Ecstatica, but all I can ever find are CDs of the sequel.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3608 of 5944, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finished some days before Sam and Max Hit the Road on Mac and PC. Yesterday i played Doom 2 on Mac where i am on Level 18 just like the PC version. I also played Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo on pc. Today i played Prisoner of Ice on Mac and Carmageddon 1 also on Mac.

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF
- Roland MT32, CM64, CM500, SC55, SC88, Yamaha MU50

Reply 3609 of 5944, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote on 2021-12-09, 14:20:

get the 640x480 version

Is that a thing??

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3612 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Realms of Arkania: Shadows over Riva

Just a quick update. I'm 32 hours in and have 314/1000 points. Despite the point total, I figure I'm closer to 50% through the game. I've just entered the Magician's Tower, which according to the couple of walkthroughs I'm referencing, puts me at 40-50% through the game. The main thing I wanted to talk about was leveling up characters. Since my characters were imported in at a higher level, it's taken this long for them to hit their next level up. So far, 5 out of my 6 characters have gotten their first level up in this game. I'd forgotten how satisfying the level up experience is in this series! You *can* choose to let the computer level up your character, OR you can manually do it yourself. If you do it yourself, it can take up to 20 minutes per character, if you care to really put the time into maximizing your characters. First, you choose one positive attribute to increase. Then you choose one negative attribute to reduce. See this guide for more details: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/564655-realm … tiny/faqs/64921
There is a chance, depending on how high the positive attribute or low the negative attribute already is, that your attempt will fail. Then, if your character has spell casting abilities, you choose how to divide your points into Life Points (HP) or Astral Points (magic points). Otherwise, you get a random increase in LP. If you're unhappy with what you get, and you have a recent save point, you can reload and try again. Then, you get 20 chances to add to your skill points. There are numerous skills you can increase, and the higher the skill points are, the more likely an attempt will fail. If your character has magic abilities, then you next do the same things with spell points. Spells are much different in this game than most RPGs. Simply put, each spell starts out with a score dependent on your character's starting stats (race, profession, etc). The value can be as low as -20 and as high as 10 (estimates). The higher each spell value, the more likely the caster can successfully cast that spell. So a value of zero has about a 50/50 chance of succeeding. It's a very complex system, and you must decide early on which spells you want to focus on because it takes many level ups to get a starting negative value to a value >0 which means it will be successful more often than not. There's a few things I'd have done differently in Blade of Destiny, knowing what I know now. But it is what it is, and good characters are good characters, so I'm not too worried. 😉 Soon, my last character (Nystul, my Magician) will level up and then it will be a long time before any of them level up again. It takes about 700-900 EXP to get to the next level and most combats only net you about ~20 EXP. Some significant game advancements also give you EXP in addition to game points, so there's that. I really do appreciate the uniqueness of this RPG...

edit: another neat, somewhat unique trait of this game is your party can be split up. You can jump back and forth between the the split members and control them independently. I was recently in a section that required one member to operate a winch that takes the other members down to the next level of a dungeon. As my party of five was exploring, we got into a couple of battles that weakened us pretty badly. The two main ways to replenish life points and astral points (magic) are with herbs/potions in your inventory, or by resting. But resting can only happen in designated areas (either an inn or a location the game has identified as a safe place to rest). So I happened to come across a safe resting place and decided rather than waste all my potions, I'll sleep back magic and life points over the course of several game days. In the process, I'd forgotten about my split member at the winch. When I remembered and jumped back to her, she was starving and dying of thirst! I can see how that would be annoying, but for me, the way it's presented is quite realistic and adds character and value to the game. I love it! So I ended up having to take control of the starving character, guide her to a part of the level she's on that I'd found water and food at, so that she could replenish. Then I jumped back to the party of five and continued. Oh, and I just found the magical bread basket in a sorcerer's quarters, so now my party won't have to worry about hunger or thirst anymore (at least the ones that are not split off from the member who's carrying the magic bread basket and water skin).

Reply 3613 of 5944, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Decided to load up the Mega Everdrive last night and I played through a game of Bare Knuckle (Streets of Rage) on my Genesis. I must have been pretty good playing games as a kid, because I swear the kid me would beat the adult me now every time, 🤣. I made it to just outside the final boss door, then game over. The kid me would be laughing in shame.

Reply 3614 of 5944, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I finally found the time to beat Jagged Alliance

Trophy Screen
20211212_Jagged_Alliance_d.jpg
Filename
20211212_Jagged_Alliance_d.jpg
File size
963 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I ended up rolling back from when Brenda was captured, and instead mounting an amphibious assault on the sector the attack which took her had come from. Cleaned out the very heavily guarded sector, and then didn't have anymore issues with that.

I found myself really struggling in the mid game, to the point where I was constantly out of first aid kits or medical kits. When a merc finally bled out on the field, Grunty, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. He was a fairly mediocre merc, who'd grown into a slightly better than mediocre merc, demanding top choice pay. Having him die on me, and then being able to replace him with Magic was just the shot in the arm my playthrough needed.

After that I fired Gary and replaced him with Kelly, and then fired Bud and replaced him with Mike for the final fight in Sector 1. As for sector 1, I'd read enemy reinforcements will constantly spawn until Santino runs out of reserves. But I guess I'd taken such a slow, protracted road to him (took me nearly 40 days), I'd just about depleted them anyways. I encountered maybe 7 guards, and didn't particularly notice them seeming to appear from odd places.

All in all, I really enjoyed that. Had I the time, I think I might try again playing on medium difficulty, and perhaps save scumming a bit less. But it took me about a month to complete that playthrough, and I'm itching to try something different. Debating between some mindless fun with Heretic, some laughs with Zork Grand Inquisitor, or plunging into another strategy game with Panzer General.

Reply 3615 of 5944, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shard of Spring (Apple II)

I've been plugging away at this one here and there, and was able to make some good progress. I've got my characters all up to level 6 (nearly 7). Although the max level is 20, I think it would be impossible without hours and hours and hours of grinding to get even to level 9... so I think I am probably just over halfway done with the game.

It's a fun game, but the structure gets boring. This is a problem I've often had with console RPGs as well, as it gets far too predictable when the entire game is town>dungeon>boss>town 2>dungeon 2>boss 2, and so on. SoS is not quite as bad since you can explore much of the world right from the beginning, with only a slight jump in difficulty from the west and east halves of the island. The difficulty (so far) doesn't really increase that much from dungeon to dungeon, and even bosses can be killed in a single shot with a low level damage spell if you focus all your MPs in casting it. Having said that, I don't think you could really tackle stuff out of order too much.

I'd like to get this one finished by the end of the year, so we'll see!

Reply 3616 of 5944, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I wasn't expecting it to go that quickly.

Zork Grand Inquisitor Trophy
20211213_Zork_GI_c.jpg
Filename
20211213_Zork_GI_c.jpg
File size
1.51 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Took me about one and a half evenings. Turns out I remember absolutely every puzzle solution from the first and last time I played it back when it first came out. Kind of a let down. I got very nearly nothing out of this play through. No "ah hah" moments. No feeling clever. I got some good chuckles out of it at least. But I might as well have been playing off a walkthrough. I guess in a sense I was.

Actually now that I think about it, I could have sworn I did write a walkthrough for ZGI as a kid and submitted it... somewhere. Was Gamefaqs around in 1997? I have no idea. Seems gone, where ever it was. Maybe it had been a geocities page.

I suppose I just loved the game too thoroughly back in 1997 to leave anything left behind to enjoy now. It wasn't like playing Doom's Knee Deep in the Dead, where the action keeps it fresh, but it retains a sense of "going home". This was depressingly hollow and unfulfilling.

Time to try Panzer General. Read the manual last night, so we'll see how terrible I am.

Reply 3617 of 5944, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening remake on Nintendo Switch I bought for my kid last year. I like it, cute graphics, nice additional puzzles. Quite true to the original, which I have somewhere in a box. Just plain fun.

Reply 3618 of 5944, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not really playing this yet, but I just bought Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar for 99 cents on GOG's Winter Sale. I did install it and check it out and it looks like a full-on modern remake of Wizardry 7. I'm impressed and the reviews have been pretty good, so I look forward to playing this sometime in the near future. If you're a Wiz 7 fan, check it out:
https://www.gog.com/game/grimoire_heralds_of_ … winged_exemplar

Reply 3619 of 5944, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2021-12-14, 23:57:

Not really playing this yet, but I just bought Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar for 99 cents on GOG's Winter Sale. I did install it and check it out and it looks like a full-on modern remake of Wizardry 7. I'm impressed and the reviews have been pretty good, so I look forward to playing this sometime in the near future. If you're a Wiz 7 fan, check it out:
https://www.gog.com/game/grimoire_heralds_of_ … winged_exemplar

I bounced off that one after a few hours, too grueling, primative, and very low on direction or clues. See what you think though, I've tried to get into it twice.