VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 1ST1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I want to fill the harddisk of my 80386-33 with amaizing Scene demos. Which ones would you sugest?

The machine has 80386-33 (in fact a Cyrix/TI 486DLC with FPU), Soundblaster Pro, 8 MB RAM and a 1 MB VGA card (Trident 8900C).

An important issue is that aspi4dos/aspidisk needs to be loaded to access the SCSI harddisks where is the space for games and demos. Some demos only run with only himem.sys installed, but as the adaptec driver is required, there is not enough memory to load some large demos that way. So the machine usually boots with activated QEMM386 and has 632000 bytes conventional memory free.

The following demos are running in that config

- abyss
- cd1-trn
- inferno
- nothinon
- parity
- timeless
- untreal

I tryed the following and they only run with himem
- ai_mutha
- alien
- appeal
- cd2-trn
- elements
- gpu (final)
- jungly
- second reality
- the_jrny
- untidled

Which ones you would sugest for QEMM386 configurations?

Reply 1 of 3, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmmm… second reality does run with emm386, is that not an option? Also, I thought it needed ems memory when you use soundblaster as the music card, do you have sound with only himem?
Panic and fishtro (also of Future Crew) should also run on a 386-33.

Reply 3 of 3, by 1ST1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2021-12-13, 08:45:

there is a really good list of early demos from trixter.
http://www.oldskool.org/demos/explained/demo_reviews.html

Thank you, this list looks really like a lot of work for me...

But it does not mention which memory config is required. Unfortunatelly that particular machine needs QEMM to load everything in UMB to have a lot of free memory and access to that SCSI-harddisk. I think I have to prepare another machine with just IDE drive to enjoy all of these demos.