VOGONS

Reply 21 of 24, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's that one game that i740 looks nice in, but personally I'd rather run a SiS6326, or an early Rage, heck even early Virge sounds good... I don't know much about the windows drivers for them though, my one i740 is usually not even used in DOS, it's the scratch monkey for firing up unknown AGP boards in case they fry the AGP card. So far it's luck holds...

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 22 of 24, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also have an i740 AGP (labeled "Fastware" on the BIOS sticker) that has the exact symptoms, on an Athlon XP 2000+ based system with VIA KT266 Chipset and Win98SE.

P.S.
Desktop seems to work ok when booting in XP with the windows preinstalled drivers; but no DirectX application is able to run.
Was able to run Artefact Locator, and Video Mem Tester, and the card checks out ok 😐

Last edited by B24Fox on 2021-12-14, 21:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 24, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I find the i740 to be interesting for how unique it is.
However using one on a PC Chips socket 7 board and Windows 98 FE.....is playing with fire.
Good luck though!

Reply 24 of 24, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After tinkering in the BIOS, I found the solution to the problem described by OP with the i740:
Changed AGP mode (from Auto) to 1x, and reinstalled the drivers (v4.0), and now it work perfectly!

Ran 3dMark 99 'till the end without any problems 👍