VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by curvedline

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MODE CON: RATE=32 DELAY=1

is there a way to achieve this command in dosbox?

Reply 2 of 7, by curvedline

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOSBox-X didnt have the mode.com or mode.exe to take it out, they were only 21 bytes and all core dos programs were hidden.
i used mode.com from dos 6.22, it said incorrect version in dosbox
i used mode.com from dos 7.0 from win98, it also said incorrect version in dosbox
then i downloaded 500MB sized freeDOS. i extracted mode.com from freeDOS and it worked well in dosbox.

i included this lines in dosbox.conf
[autoexec]
mount d C:\
d:
cd d:\UTILITY\DOSBox
MODE CON: RATE=32 DELAY=1

when i looked at the freeDOS, i found these kinds of things like SHSUCDX.EXE CuteMouse inside, these were the last brightest DOS utilities before DOS died. CuteMouse memory usage was like 4k back then when MSmouse.sys did like 30k, i think these people were maybe the ones who invented cloacking memory at the end of DOS. i think they were maybe the ones who also invented the universal USB 2.0 DOS driver, because i have it and works well, EVEN when win98 didnt have the UNIVERSAL USB 2.0 drivers. it was good to see they are still alive somewhere.

thanks it was a big help.

Reply 3 of 7, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know what you did wrong, but it works just fine in dosbox-x.

command_000.png
Filename
command_000.png
File size
12.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And you CAN use the mode command from other DOS versions, you just need to set your reported DOS version to match. By default DOSBox pretends to be DOS 5.0, so use "ver set 6 22" to set version 6.22

Lastly, you don't need to download the whole of freedos to just get the mode command. A quick search turned up:
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/fr … /dos/mode/2015/

Reply 4 of 7, by curvedline

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thats dosbox-x you posted and not dosbox. i needed mode.com that works in the dosbox for games.
i just learned that dosbox is a ver 5.0, but this probably wouldnt make a difference, because i would havent found dos ver 5.0 somewhere.
i just web-searched "freedos mode.com download" it either turned out how to use the mode command syntax or download the whole freedos.
i got to know about freedos, i will take a look at it, but from the looks of it at the moment, it has uncontrolably many directories for my taste.

Reply 5 of 7, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Create a .COM file with the following 12 bytes and run it in DOSBOX:
B8 05 03 BB 00 00 CD 16 B4 4C CD 21

This is the assembled sequence for:

mov ax, 0305h
mov bx, 0000h
int 16h
mov ah, 4ch
int 21h

Which achieves the same effect of MODE CON RATE=32 DELAY=1 (maximum rate, minimum delay).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 7 of 7, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just use any HEX editor. I guess if you are talking about a raw DOSBox install with no third-party tools, then you would have a problem.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys