VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ahve a Roland SC-88 that I loop into my speakers with a MIO USB to MIDI interface. This works perfectly to play games like Day of the Tentacle through ScummVM when the audio is configured on a per game basis. When I try to do the same on Dosbox or Dosbox-X I can't get the synth to play MIDI. I've tried setting the confid to my MIDI device number, even tried MIDIMapper to no avail. Is there a trick or something I"m missing?

Reply 2 of 10, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-12-21, 03:20:

Could you post the output of /listmidi, and the contents of your dosbox cfg?

mixer /listmidi
MIDI handler: win32
0 - "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth"
1 - "mio"

[midi]
mpu401 = none
mpubase = 0
mididevice = default
midiconfig = 1
samplerate = 44100
mpuirq = -1
mt32.romdir =
mt32.model = auto
mt32.reverse.stereo = false
mt32.verbose = false
mt32.thread = false
mt32.chunk = 16
mt32.prebuffer = 32
mt32.partials = 32
mt32.dac = 0
mt32.analog = 2
mt32.output.gain = 100
mt32.reverb.mode = auto
mt32.reverb.output.gain = 100
mt32.reverb.time = 5
mt32.reverb.level = 3
mt32.rate = 44100
mt32.src.quality = 2
mt32.niceampramp = true
fluid.driver = default
fluid.soundfont =
fluid.samplerate = 48000
fluid.gain = .2
fluid.polyphony = 256
fluid.cores = default
fluid.periods = default
fluid.periodsize = default
fluid.reverb = yes
fluid.chorus = yes
fluid.reverb.roomsize = .61
fluid.reverb.damping = .23
fluid.reverb.width = .76
fluid.reverb.level = .57
fluid.chorus.number = 3
fluid.chorus.level = 1.2
fluid.chorus.speed = .3
fluid.chorus.depth = 8.0
fluid.chorus.type = 0

For the record, this is in Dosbox-X because I find it more user friendly, but I tried in dosbox and it still wasn't working. The Mio is my USB to MIDI adapter. When I check the MIDI section of the Configuration Tool in Dosbox-X it shows exactly what I put above, which was taken from the dosbox-x.conf file. When I click on "Show MIDI device configuration" under Sound, it shows the attached image, which I'm not sure how to interpret.

midi.jpg
Filename
midi.jpg
File size
14.93 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 10, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://dosbox-x.com/wiki/Guide%3ASetting-up- … OSBox%E2%80%90X

Try this, I'm not sure on the mididevice vs midiconfig in DOSBox-X.

[midi]
mpu401 = uart
mpubase = 330
mididevice = win32
midiconfig = 1
samplerate = 44100
mpuirq = 9

Reply 4 of 10, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SScorpio wrote on 2021-12-21, 17:48:
https://dosbox-x.com/wiki/Guide%3ASetting-up- … OSBox%E2%80%90X […]
Show full quote

https://dosbox-x.com/wiki/Guide%3ASetting-up- … OSBox%E2%80%90X

Try this, I'm not sure on the mididevice vs midiconfig in DOSBox-X.

[midi]
mpu401 = uart
mpubase = 330
mididevice = win32
midiconfig = 1
samplerate = 44100
mpuirq = 9

Thanks for your help, unfortunately this doesn't work in either Dosbox or Dosbox-X. Strange that it still works out the bat with my ScummVM setup, because I'm able to set the MIO as the default MIDI device. Strange it doesn't work in Dosbox. I checked the config file in ScummVM and it seems like Fluidsynth is active, is there any way to transpose this config file to Dosbox?

Attachments

• Filename
    scummvm.ini
    File size
    1.45 KiB
    Downloads
    54 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 10, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After you enter those setting in the dosbox.conf file you then need to manually configure the game to use General MIDI from each game's setup program.

SCUMMVM works completely differently than DOSBox. It replaces the game's engine, while DOSBox gives you a virtual DOS environment to run the original unmodified game.

Base MIDI Settings
mpu401 = uart
mpubase = 330
mpuirq = 9

Samplerate, not needed for your external synth
samplerate = 44100

Tells DOSBox to use Window's built-in MIDI support, and midiconfig is saying to use the device and index 1 which your /lastmidi says your MIO is configured to.
mididevice = win32
midiconfig = 1

In the games you are running in DOSBox you need to select General MIDI, and then choose port 330, and possibly set the IRQ to 9 if it asks you to set one.

You can also use intelligent mode rather than uart for the MPU401 setting, but that's needed for MT32 support, General MIDI devices don't require that.

Reply 6 of 10, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SScorpio wrote on 2021-12-21, 18:54:
After you enter those setting in the dosbox.conf file you then need to manually configure the game to use General MIDI from each […]
Show full quote

After you enter those setting in the dosbox.conf file you then need to manually configure the game to use General MIDI from each game's setup program.

SCUMMVM works completely differently than DOSBox. It replaces the game's engine, while DOSBox gives you a virtual DOS environment to run the original unmodified game.

Base MIDI Settings
mpu401 = uart
mpubase = 330
mpuirq = 9

Samplerate, not needed for your external synth
samplerate = 44100

Tells DOSBox to use Window's built-in MIDI support, and midiconfig is saying to use the device and index 1 which your /lastmidi says your MIO is configured to.
mididevice = win32
midiconfig = 1

In the games you are running in DOSBox you need to select General MIDI, and then choose port 330, and possibly set the IRQ to 9 if it asks you to set one.

You can also use intelligent mode rather than uart for the MPU401 setting, but that's needed for MT32 support, General MIDI devices don't require that.

Ah I see what the problem was, I wasn't going through the configuration settings within the game, I was simply playing the game from where I last stopped. Once I reran the initial config, I was able to select the MIDI interface.

Now if there was a way to control the MIDI and ADLIB volumes at the same time, that would be sweet.

Reply 7 of 10, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ldeveraux wrote on 2021-12-21, 19:36:

Now if there was a way to control the MIDI and ADLIB volumes at the same time, that would be sweet.

You generally aren't using MIDI and Adlib at the same time. Adlib is generally used for music, though some older games that only had Adlib support would use it for some sound effects.

You might be thinking of PCM audio which is generally what people would consider the SoundBlaster side. That's what handles sound effects, speech, etc.

Volume control isn't standardized. Some games have in-game controls. Others you can set the mixer on the soundcard before running the game, but yet other games will change the mixer settings on you when you launch them.

The best thing to do is have your PC and MIDI sounds connected to a two or more track mixer, then you can easily adjust volumes regardless of what games offer in terms of control.

Reply 8 of 10, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SScorpio wrote on 2021-12-21, 19:55:
You generally aren't using MIDI and Adlib at the same time. Adlib is generally used for music, though some older games that only […]
Show full quote
ldeveraux wrote on 2021-12-21, 19:36:

You generally aren't using MIDI and Adlib at the same time. Adlib is generally used for music, though some older games that only had Adlib support would use it for some sound effects.

You might be thinking of PCM audio which is generally what people would consider the SoundBlaster side. That's what handles sound effects, speech, etc.

Volume control isn't standardized. Some games have in-game controls. Others you can set the mixer on the soundcard before running the game, but yet other games will change the mixer settings on you when you launch them.

The best thing to do is have your PC and MIDI sounds connected to a two or more track mixer, then you can easily adjust volumes regardless of what games offer in terms of control.

Yeah that's what I meant, Day of teh Tentacle thinks I'm using an Adlib card. So in windows 11 sadly, how would I link the volume of the USB/MIDI device to the speaker level?

Reply 10 of 10, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
_Rob wrote on 2021-12-27, 17:33:

Using the "mixer" command, before you start the game allows you to set the volume levels. Use "mixer /?" for the options.

Thanks, I'll look into that later. Is this the preferred way to do it, or should I be controlling comparative volume levels in Windows?