VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 25, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2021-11-27, 02:45:

you can get an extron RGB-DVI/HDMI 300 for under $50 usually, no reason to spend that much.

I don't understand how that would be useful. That's an RGB->DVI device. My entire workflow here is DVI/HDMI.

Reply 22 of 25, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2021-11-27, 04:21:

oh, sorry, I completely missed that... don't use DVI then? x3

even then you can also find some older professional scalers that take digital input for less.

Yeah, my Win9X PC is kinda overpowered, One of those Acer 775 boards with AGP, so it has a Radeon X800 in it. I'd prefer to keep the whole capture flow digital. 😀

Anyway, the scaler I'm looking at does HDMI, so I have some other situations outside of this usage where it could be useful.

Reply 23 of 25, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some updates as I moved along in getting this working. First, the Orei scaler was bunk, the manual claimed it supported a bunch of 4:3 resolutions which in reality it simply did not so I returned it. I settled on a Crestron HD-SCALER I got very cheap and it offers more than I need as well. It does all your common PC Gaming 4:3 resolutions, has an RGBHV input (not tested that yet since I can go all DVI) and even does analog audio injection. So the setup is the video comes out of the retro PC, through a splitter, one feed direct to the 1600x1200 monitor, another into the scaler, from the scaler into the Cam Link 4K, into a modern PC for capturing in VirtualDub2. And bam, 4:2:2 1600x1200@60hz video and it even has audio included. Lovely. 😀

ftaY9M4.jpg

Reply 24 of 25, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Fujoshi-hime wrote on 2021-12-23, 15:20:
Some updates as I moved along in getting this working. First, the Orei scaler was bunk, the manual claimed it supported a bunch […]
Show full quote

Some updates as I moved along in getting this working. First, the Orei scaler was bunk, the manual claimed it supported a bunch of 4:3 resolutions which in reality it simply did not so I returned it. I settled on a Crestron HD-SCALER I got very cheap and it offers more than I need as well. It does all your common PC Gaming 4:3 resolutions, has an RGBHV input (not tested that yet since I can go all DVI) and even does analog audio injection. So the setup is the video comes out of the retro PC, through a splitter, one feed direct to the 1600x1200 monitor, another into the scaler, from the scaler into the Cam Link 4K, into a modern PC for capturing in VirtualDub2. And bam, 4:2:2 1600x1200@60hz video and it even has audio included. Lovely. 😀

ftaY9M4.jpg

Glad to read that you have a working setup!
Which Crestron model did you get, if I may ask ?

Reply 25 of 25, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-12-23, 19:59:

Glad to read that you have a working setup!
Which Crestron model did you get, if I may ask ?

'Crestron HD-SCALER' wasn't vague but I can get why it'd seem like it. That's the exact product, it's out of production but does DVI, RGBHV (not tested that), audio injection, covers all my bases really.

https://www.crestron.com/Products/Inactive/Di … d/A-M/HD-SCALER

I picked one up for about CAD$70, new old stock, on eBay.