VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is a Yuletide log for your holiday delectation.

Sho-ryuken!
Heavy, Machine Gun!
<staccato pulsing noise of Wonder Boy III transformation>
Ba-ling!, says the Sonic ring.
<Zelda "accomplishment" riff>

Tell us which video-game sounds or voice-clips are the most burned into your brain for life.

Maybe it's not the game you played the most, but a certain sound or voice-clip still attached itself to you permanently, and from time-to-time - even decades later - that clip will pop back into your head and play itself randomly.

Here is an odd example for me: 13-14yo, the 1990's had just arrived, and my first local arcade had a terrible Street Fighter 1 cabinet, and my friends and I learned how to dragon punch (etc) on it. The cabinet had a woeful single speaker, no treble, and was somehow simultaneously both hard-to-hear and boomy-and-annoying. We would lose to the CPU often, and the post-fight losing scene is for no good reason at all forever stuck in my brain to resurface at random moments in excruciating fine detail, this low-fi booming You've got a lot to learn before you beat me. Try again kid(do) heh-heh-heh-heh.... <Continue Timer counts down>

Reply 3 of 113, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's quite one too many to list for me:

Hearing a cacophony of "Schutzstaffel!" in Wolf3D really does it for me.

Pulse Rifle, and also the Bullgut firing sounds from Shogo: Mobile Armor Division. The former especially given how I often have to fall back to using that thing for the next 12 hours.

"oh OPERN!!!!" and "OHHH MY FACE!!!" from H2H-Xmas for Doom II.

That stupid stock movie silenced pistol sound that's used in everything from the Duke3D Chaingun Cannon, to the "Machine Gun" (really a Ingram MAC-10) from Shogo, to even used as a ricochet sound in UT200x for some bizarre reason!

The Host Station ambient sounds from Urban Assault, in particular the Taerkasten Flying Fortress and Sulgogar Queen.

Translocator module sounds from Unreal Tournament.

,etc

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5 of 113, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool topic! Off the top of my head, these come to mind:

• Various voice clips from Duke3D: "Come get some!", "Who wants some?", "Hail to the king, baby!" etc.
  • Many unit voices from WarCraft 2 and StarCraft: "Yes my lord!", "Battlecruiser operational.", "Power overwhelming!" etc.
  • The Flak Cannon sound from UT '99
  • The Quad Damage sound from Quake
  • The Town Portal sound from Diablo 2

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 6 of 113, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"oh no" - lemmings
"Construction complete" - dune2
"Yep" - settlers
"Get over here" - mortal kombat
"I'm gonna rip your head off and sh*t down your neck" - Duke nukem 3D
"Oh my god he's going postal" - postal

Of course they always sound in character when repeated in my head!

Ah great, now that I've started thinking about it, there are loads...

Reply 9 of 113, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The intro music of D.R.A.G.O.N Force (starting from the minute 2:23 in the video), albeit not in the good way, since I found it very annoying. Ironically, I actually love the game. For some reason I just love "real-time-with-pause" mechanics for squad level combat.

Anyway, the video above is not mine, and my copy is actually a DOS version instead of Amiga. The intro music is naturally a sequence of beep bop bop, but it retains the same annoying melody.

rarest-or-most-obscure-games-d-r-a-g-o-n-force.jpg
My copy is actually DOS version.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 10 of 113, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For some reason the PC speaker rendition of the PC version of Street Rod pops into my mind semi-regularly, as does the flying disk tune from the SMS version of California Games.

I was also taken aback recently when watching the new Dune movie (freaking awesome BTW) and hearing them pronounce Harkonnen differently than Dune 2, the sounds of which are seared into my synapses.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 11 of 113, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For me, the voices in Warcraft II

Aye, Aye, Sir
Set sail
Yes, Milord

It's even on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wkc4uCaLpw

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 12 of 113, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyway, this is the first IBM compatible game I've ever played. Try listening to the music for the entire length of the video, I dare you. It stuck with me for decades, albeit not as annoying as D.R.A.G.O.N Force intro on the previous post.

9054-digger-pc-booter-screenshot-title.gif
Anyone old enough to remember this?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 13 of 113, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2021-12-25, 08:32:
Anyway, this is the first IBM compatible game I've ever played. Try listening to the music for the entire length of the video, I […]
Show full quote

Anyway, this is the first IBM compatible game I've ever played. Try listening to the music for the entire length of the video, I dare you. It stuck with me for decades, albeit not as annoying as D.R.A.G.O.N Force intro on the previous post.

Yes. I love it. I can even smell the old machine when I watch it..

Reply 14 of 113, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well for the computer games I'd say most Stunts or some Jill of the Jungle (PC speaker version) sounds, the voice of Thief 1/2 main character.. usually often come to my mind the soundtrack of the 3DMark2000 demo.. I think I've listened it a thousand times and sometimes happen to think about it during building a PC config.. 😁
But the most remembered sounds imho are not related to videogames but the empty floppy disk drive sound at the boot or the 56K modem connection or the Win 98 boot sound. 😉

Reply 15 of 113, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The healing and warp out sounds in the Apple II version of Dino Eggs.

The humming machinery background sounds in Crusader: No Remorse and No Regret.

Most of System Shock songs and sounds.

Various sound bites from Links386 Pro:
"Got a hold of that one!"
"That's in the deep stuff."

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 16 of 113, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?"

If you know, you know and this line needs no further explanation 😁

Also as you read it, you hear it in her voice.

Reply 17 of 113, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joakim wrote on 2021-12-25, 09:05:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2021-12-25, 08:32:
Anyway, this is the first IBM compatible game I've ever played. Try listening to the music for the entire length of the video, I […]
Show full quote

Yes. I love it. I can even smell the old machine when I watch it..

Nice to see someone who still remembers that game. 😀

TrashPanda wrote on 2021-12-25, 12:12:

"Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?"

If you know, you know and this line needs no further explanation 😁

Also as you read it, you hear it in her voice.

But of course I remember that line, S.H.O.D.A.N.

Anyway, I still remember the RWR sound (2:51) and lock tone (2:56) from F-16 Combat Pilot.

The first Test Drive has more memorable gameplay, probably because it has multiple cars out of the box. But sill, Test Drive II has more memorable theme song, whose low notes sound impressive on the 12" woofer of my JBL 120Tis.

Aiwa-in-home-theater-02.jpg
Long story; the AVR is temporarily replaced by an Aiwa mini component system while the HTPC is being upgraded.

Quest for Glory (originally named Hero's Quest) has very catchy theme song, even on PC speaker.

The background sound effect of Alley Cat is still ringing in my head sometimes.

For more modern version, Jane's Combat Simulation has very memorable intro.

However, the most beautiful game-related sound that never stops singing in my head is a song named Gaining Ground from Warlords II. Just listen to the song, you won't be sorry.

Reply 19 of 113, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Red alert:

Mission accomplished - I say this to myself whenever I achieve something trivial
Silos needed
Awaiting orders
Unable to comply, building in progress

Driver 1 menu music and menu sound effect

Worms Armageddon / World Party "...traitor!"

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC