VOGONS

Demanding games for DOSBOX? *Conroe test*

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 81, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

whats an E6600? videocard? intel chip? amd chip?

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 42 of 81, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yup intels conroe CPUs range from E6300/E6400 (cheapest) to E6600/E6700 and X6800 (hi end).

@dosfreak, happy testing. 😀

EDIT: the E6600 models semes to be very OC friendly. > 3 GHz should be no problem.

Reply 43 of 81, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

have you guys seen how unbelievable fast Conroe/Allendale/Merom are for SSE ops? OMG! The thing scores like almost 3x faster than a P4 in the straight SSE test in Sandra. Of course that doesn't happen in real-world stuff, but you can bet that it is indicative of just how seriously they took SIMD in these new chips.

Reply 44 of 81, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Didn't get a chance to test out my new work machine today. Way too busy.

Had to help a guy with OSX over the phone and I don't have an OSX machine in front of me. 1 hr on the phone. FUN FUN FUN!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 45 of 81, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SSE are broken down into 2 instructions on A64 and P4 because data path is only 64-bits wide (and SSE can operate with 128bit operands). Core2 increases the bus width to 128bit. So will K8L I hope 😀

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 47 of 81, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gulikoza wrote:

SSE are broken down into 2 instructions on A64 and P4 because data path is only 64-bits wide (and SSE can operate with 128bit operands). Core2 increases the bus width to 128bit. So will K8L I hope 😀

Yah from the slides from AMD presentations I've seen, AMD's definitely making some changes with SIMD.
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/editorial … conf-part1.html

Here's that Sandra bench I was talking about too:
http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/core2/index.x?pg=15

Reply 48 of 81, by maxxus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red_avatar wrote:
Red, […]
Show full quote

Red,

What did you do to get Skynet working? I've been trying for like 5 years seriously to get that game working in 640x480 and the only machine it works on is an old 75mhz which is too slow to do it right. I just built a W95 P2 and I think it works on there, but it errors out the monitor because it's out of range in 640x480.

So anyway, how did you get it working in Dosbox? It crashes Dosbox for me, and in straight XP it freezes at the "Detecting FPU" part. You'll be my hero if you can tell me how to do this. SKYnet is one of my favorite games *ever*

I'm using Dosbox .065 and have a Geforce 7800 GT XP Pro SP2, 2 gigs of ram, 2.53ghz p4.

First of all, are you using a ripped version or the original CD? Second of all, always replace DOS4GW with DOS32A. Other than that, the game should run fine if you use a recent CVS and use dynamic mode+auto cycles.

I have the original CD from when I got the game back in the day..I'm gonna try the DOS32A trick when I get home tonight and the settings you suggested, because I'm still having the same problem with doxbox .7. Thanks though!

Reply 49 of 81, by dragonmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have tested blood and duke with dosbox 0.7@ athlon 64 @ 2400mhz, blood is playable with 640*480, 800*600 is a bit to much, but with an coreduo@3 ghz, it could be playable

duke works nicely with 800*600

Reply 55 of 81, by dragonmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A duocore @ 3 ghz should have around 50 % more frames than my athlon 64 @ 2,4 ghz, its just a guess but a duocore
with 2,4 ghz is 22,5% faster than my athlon with the same speed and a 3ghz duocore has 25
% more speed as a duocore @ 2,4 ghz= 1,225 * 1,25 = ~ 1,53= 53 %

p.s.
ill try need for speed

Reply 58 of 81, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Using a lot of my time between classes for testing, I can maintain at LEAST 30fps in most games using a P4/3.20GHz chip with HT in XP Pro. Similar results on Pentium D chips using XP Pro x64 Edition.

20fps+
Battlespire
Blood

30fps+
Arena
Daggerfall
Duke Nukem 3D
Redneck Rampage
Shadow Warrior
Descent

40fps+
Wolfenstein 3D
All Doom Games
Heretic
Hexen
Strife

50fps+
Battletech I/II
Mechwarrior
Detroit
Veil of Darkness
Lords of The Realm

I program the best configurations into my launcher application so that when a user first runs the launcher, it generates these configurations for the games. You can download the launcher and run it to create the INI file, then open the INI file in Wordpad or whatever if you want to see what I am doing to attain these framerates. I get these framerates on a P4/1.8GHz system also, so they will work on older machines as well as shiny new ones!

486 Launcher v2.0 is now under development!

Reply 59 of 81, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried "Screamer 2 & Screamer Rally" or "Comanche 3"? These are the only games that I've still found to be a bit slow-ish under v0.70. And they all work fine if I lower the detail levels.