VOGONS

First post, by Bjomesphat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm kind of new to this forum and the whole dosbox thing, so I don't know all the tricks and secrets yet. But I've just had a couple of problems with Epic Pinball.

When I play the Android level, there is no sound. All of the other levels (at least the ones I've played) have sound. Any ideas on how to fix this? Also, whenever the pinball board scrolls up or down to follow the ball, sometimes there are these horizontal distorted lines. It's almost like image is trying to refresh itself, but it's not going fast enough Any ideas?

I've tried running it with every version of dosbox, and I'm on XP. I've tried lowering the cycles (2000, 5000, and 7000) 7,000 seemed to work the best and tried using the normal core, but none of these changes really helped.

Reply 2 of 10, by Bjomesphat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually it surprising works pretty well. The complaints I have really aren't a big deal, I just like to play a game as close to perfect as possible. The lack of sound in Android is odd, but the graphical errors that I mentioned are annoying, but they don't slow down the game any.

The game I always have problems with is Silverball. If anyone has any suggestions on getting that game to run smoothly let me know.

Reply 3 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try downloading the shareware version of Epic Pinball and see if the sound effects work there. Perhaps it is a problem with the version you have on hand.

What sort of problems are you having in Silverball?

Reply 4 of 10, by Bjomesphat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, I got another version of Epic Pinball and the sound works fine. But those graphical distortions are still there and it makes it hard to play.

Silverball seems to only work when I set the core to normal and the cycles to 7000, but it has the same graphical distortions as Epic Pinball.

One thing that is common between both of them is like a 1.5 second sound lag. Not sure how to fix that either.

Reply 5 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Silverball and Epic Pinball are apparently almost exactly the same thing, so it is not surprising that they would have similar problems, at least.

I am tempted to suggest NoLFB, but it seems unlikely that will help in DOSBox.

Reply 9 of 10, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe you can try http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/blankendaalr/dbgl/ and check out the 'Starter Edition' which contains a pre-configured collection of (free) games, among them the shareware edition of Epic Pinball.