VOGONS

First post, by Loneheart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey!

First up, if this thread is in the wrong catigory, please let me know, but there wherent any catigorys targeting windows and cause i think its a hardware problem of some kind i aswell trie it here

So to say it straight, Windows XP isnt booting do too an unknown reason.
It starts up the WinXP ProSP1 x64 boot screen as normal, the bar moves as normal, it goes black as normal, and crashes the whole computer, which is not normal.
Yea, instead of booting it just shows me a BSoD saying that my computer has been shut down due too an Fatal System Error.
More specificly it showes "STOP: c000021a" and that the 'System Status' is "0xc0000221 (oxoo2bb800 0x00000000)", which i think are error codes, but i cant find any specifics about them.
I also tried System Repair, which did nothing, and also tried running fixboot from the cd, which again did nothing, ans also also tried to run safe Mode, Which didnt exactly help, but it showed that the system wouldnt go passt the file "acpitabl.dat", which could be helpfull if i could find anyfing usefull about it
Right now i am just doomed as no tips worked, and i dont find ANY specifics about the specific Error i have here.
I REALLY hope that someone can help couse i REALLY like that computer as a kind of retro-xp-thing
Oh and by the way, i used an image that i downloaded LINK REMOVED here couse i figured using an early but offical image and updating it with offical updates would get me less troubles than that barly working sp3 disc i hab before, wich didnt really work and would give me an unfinshed system, wich sucked.
And one last thing to note is that Windows XP is technicly not installed yet, since i am trying to boot into the second install phase, NOT into the oparating system.

But thats all i have to say
Hope someone can help

Thanks already

specs:
MoBo - Asus P5K
GFX - MSI nx6600gt td128e
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo e4600 2.4GHz
RAM - 4Gb ddr2 800MHz
PowerSupply - well, its working 😁
HD - 500Gb WD
CD - something that works, dont exactly know
Floppy - N/A, also completly disabled in BIOS

Last edited by DosFreak on 2021-12-27, 20:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This usually points to bad memory. This happens more often than you think. Do you have spare memory modules to swap out?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another few reasons for that particular error is a bad file:
The STOP 0xC000021A error occurs when either Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe fails. When the Windows NT kernel detects that either of these processes has stopped, it stops the system and raises the STOP 0xC000021A error. This error may have several causes, including: Mismatched system files have been installed. A Service Pack installation has failed. An incompatible third-party program has been installed.

and: The STATUS_IMAGE_CHECKSUM_MISMATCH bug check has a value of 0xC0000221. This indicates that a driver or a system DLL has been corrupted.
Resolving a disk error problem: Disk errors can be a source of file corruption. Run Chkdsk /f /r to detect and resolve any file system structural corruption. You must restart the system before the disk scan begins on a system partition.
Resolving a RAM problem: If the error occurred immediately after RAM was added to the system, the paging file might be corrupted or the new RAM itself might be either faulty or incompatible.
That is all I found so far....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 10, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try to establish that the hardware is stable. If you can establish that, then you can proceed to worrying more about Windows. Most likely though, the Windows error is just a product of a hardware issue.

Try booting memtest86 and leave it running for at least a few hours or overnight.
Or if another version of Windows will run, then try running Prime95 torture test under it, again a few hours to overnight.
A simpler test, but better than nothing, is boot up a linux CD and see if it appears to work reliably. 'mprime' is the linux equivalent of Prime95, but I don't think it's commonly included so you'd have to download and install it.

HDAT2 is a good utility for testing the hard drive.

There's a "Ultimate Boot CD" out there that includes HDAT2 and Memtest86 among other various utilities, it comes in handy when testing hardware. As the name implies it can be burned to a CD but there's also a way to install it to a USB flash drive.

As far as power, if you have a multimeter then try probing voltages while it's running, see if you find anything erratic or off spec.

Reply 4 of 10, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not always with add changing the ram raises the BSOD. I had seen these happen with computer that was several years old and memory was original to it.

So try that first. The guy ran the checker and did not find any corrupt files so that not it.

Cheers,

Reply 5 of 10, by Loneheart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey again!

So the problem has been solved, couse after some thinking i saw that i was a bit dumb.
Another version of Windows XP ran a day before that BSoD i got on installing a new version, my first impuls was that something broke couse its all old as you see.
But after i spotted this

The STOP 0xC000021A error occurs when either Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe fails. When the Windows NT kernel detects that either of these processes has stopped, it stops the system and raises the STOP 0xC000021A error. This error may have several causes, including: Mismatched system files have been installed. A Service Pack installation has failed. An incompatible third-party program has been installed.

I started thinking about the image again.
After all the reason why i wanted to reinstal XP was becouse the image i used before was broken, and after some searching i found an image -i forgott the link sorry- of WinXP SP1 x64 US.
And it worked, since the site claimed it was downloaded from Microsoft back then.
And i assume that the image was just newer version couse it just worked perfectly, and after upgrading to SP2 with the offical image STILL available from Microsoft, I now have a good working Retro Windows XP Machine at my fingertipps to play all those games wich just dont work on todays computers.
And actually a huge thanks for this

There's a "Ultimate Boot CD" out there that includes HDAT2 and Memtest86 among other various utilities, it comes in handy when testing hardware. As the name implies it can be burned to a CD but there's also a way to install it to a USB flash drive.

I knew that there where discs like this but i didnt know the name, so thanks!
Specially the Hard Drive tester could be intresting couse i dont really know if i completly works or not.
But thanks to all help anyway!

And two last pretty out of place questions wich dont really deserve there own thread.

FIRST
Is there ANY way i can turn the entire system into another langue ?
Couse as you might have guesst from this bad Grammar, i am not speaking English nativly.
But the Image i chose still was an US Image as sad earlyer, mainly couse i had bad luck with downloaded German copys of discs.
But even after i turn EVERYTHING that i can find to german, the system still speaks and spells english, and the system internal langue is also still english, wich sucks even for me who can not completly correct type english, is still able to read it.
HAving the System in my proper langue would still be nice.

SECOND
would this system *in theory* be able to run 98se?
Couse from all the drivers it should be able to.
The MSI drivers are not supported, but i can properly get around that by using either KernelX or using the nVidia 6600gt drivers, wich in theory should work i think.
It would just be intresting and becouse there are always dtails i miss i might aswell ask.

Thats all i have to say again,
And once more,
Thanks already!

Reply 6 of 10, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good work. Be very cautious about any downloads of OSes that is not verified as good via SHA1 strings. These other downloads stuff of OSes ISOs are hacked and is loaded with malware. I managed to grab XP ISOs installation before they went away.

Still, supply your own genuine COA keys.

Cheers,

Reply 7 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Loneheart wrote on 2021-12-28, 19:10:

FIRST
Is there ANY way i can turn the entire system into another langue ?

2 options.
If you want to convert the language you need to "find" a copy of WinXP MUI
This will install the language pack much like Windows 10 does now, back then though it was a paid extra only available to large organisations.
or
Find a good German standard XP iso and use nlite to integrate the sata driver. thats the only real benefit of a modified iso image.

Loneheart wrote on 2021-12-28, 19:10:

SECOND
would this system *in theory* be able to run 98se?

Maybe, Kinda, sorta
As you say you'll be relying on modified drivers, and may not find drivers for all your onboard devices but it may be enough to get what you need for basic gaming. If your using onboard sound then I would think this would be your biggest challenge

Reply 8 of 10, by Loneheart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
2 options. If you want to convert the language you need to "find" a copy of WinXP MUI This will install the language pack much l […]
Show full quote

2 options.
If you want to convert the language you need to "find" a copy of WinXP MUI
This will install the language pack much like Windows 10 does now, back then though it was a paid extra only available to large organisations.
or
Find a good German standard XP iso and use nlite to integrate the sata driver. thats the only real benefit of a modified iso image.

Thanks for that, i did actually find an image of WinXP MUI, since its actually not that hard to find 😅
I will test it later, but right know it look promising.
And by the way, the reason why i dont use GER images from the web, is couse all GER images that i had before would either dont even let me install or had missing files like my previous installation.
So yea for downloading images i just turn to US images and try to get them German.

And for that

Maybe, Kinda, sorta
As you say you'll be relying on modified drivers, and may not find drivers for all your onboard devices but it may be enough to get what you need for basic gaming. If your using onboard sound then I would think this would be your biggest challenge

I wouldnt actually be using modified drivers, as the mobo should be fairly compatible and, since its asus guys, you can STILL find ALL drivers and documentation on the offical Asus website, wich is just super helpfull.
The only real question here is, can i use the offical nVidia 6600gt driver instead of the speciall MSI nx6600gt td128e one, since th nvidia one (to my knowlege) is still compatible.
And yes i fought of sound, and quickly rememberd that i have original Terratec Sound DMA card lieing around, so yea. Sound's not gonna be my problem 😁

sorry if this report seens dry, but my original one just got wiped insdead of being supmited so i am just pissed.
But still,
thanks for the help!

*quick edit here
while where at the topic of XP here, does it do any good if upgrade to SP3?
And if true where i am gonna get a stable US image? (Think it has to be US since my system right now is still US)

Reply 9 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh I really like MUI, used it back in the day on a few friends machines.
Made life so much easier having a English account for troubleshooting and they got to keep their native language as well.

We cant really talk about downloads here but doing a search for "windows xp volume licence iso" brings up a few results. You'll have to find a volume licence key, but this avoids having to activate windows as a bonus.

SP3 doesn't really offer any benefits, in fact its slightly more resource heavy but on a system of that speed it's not really going to matter. I run SP3 simply because it's the iso I have.

I can't see any Win98 downloads for the P5K motherboard?
As far as I know Intel had dropped Win98 support for the P35 chipset which it's based on and doubt Asus went out and created their own Win9x drivers.
apart from USB, sound, etc,etc and alot of unknown devices showing Windows will still work. Is it perfect? no. Is it better then nothing? yes

I would think official Nvidia driver would be fine in Win9x. most of the time I stick with the generic drivers anyway as manufactures only add branding and bloat 9 times out of 10.

Reply 10 of 10, by Loneheart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't see any Win98 downloads for the P5K motherboard?
As far as I know Intel had dropped Win98 support for the P35 chipset which it's based on and doubt Asus went out and created their own Win9x drivers.
apart from USB, sound, etc,etc and alot of unknown devices showing Windows will still work. Is it perfect? no. Is it better then nothing? yes

Upon closer inspections, youre right the board doesnt have 98se drivers.
I must have falsly thought of the drivers for the old board that i used, wich does have 98se.
Just a little thinking mistake.
And yea it would be better than nothing, but the only reason i would want to install it is due to compatibility reasons with old games and the fact that i somehow dont get it to work reliably and good on a VM the way i want it to.
Properly going to use this littel ENMIC board i have or perhabs the Asus A7N8Xe-Deluxe (wich is the one i thought i had in here) once i get it working again.
But thats properly way out of topic😅

SP3 doesn't really offer any benefits, in fact its slightly more resource heavy but on a system of that speed it's not really going to matter. I run SP3 simply because it's the iso I have.

If it doesnt really give a benefit, i just stick to SP2 since its working so well right now.

I would think official Nvidia driver would be fine in Win9x. most of the time I stick with the generic drivers anyway as manufactures only add branding and bloat 9 times out of 10.

Actually the drivers for the 6600 have some helpfull stuff like some grafical control and a heat meter, wich is aspecially helpfull sincs i havent cleaned the fan of this old, grimy video card just yet.