VOGONS

Reply 40 of 218, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Eeesh, I figured I'd have plenty of time to get some of these on my next paycheck, but now you guys are making me worry about missing out on them to the scrap dealer.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 41 of 218, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MN_Moody wrote on 2021-12-16, 14:29:
kolderman wrote on 2021-12-16, 06:15:

Once the 200 people worldwide who care about this have theirs, what will they do with the remaining 9799? They will be going for 1 dollar a pop soon enough.

They will never go that low, the "melt" scrap value on aluminum topped AMD CPU is around $26 per pound per boardsort.com's payout rate, which tends to align with the low end of what you'd get going to a precious metals recovery outfit at the end of the supply chain. Factoring in eBay's 15% cut, the ongoing storage cost/opportunity cost to keep these sitting around, and the hassle factor selling a couple at a time to retail buyers I expect they'll take them to scrap eventually if the sale volume drops off and bulk payout rate remains where it is.

Blah, if I had the capitol, I would offer to buy them all at a reduced rate and then sell them off over a few years like I did with those AOpen AW744L2 sound cards. Made a decent amount of money and saved about 2k NIB sound cards from being scrapped.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 42 of 218, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Namrok wrote on 2021-12-16, 15:03:

Eeesh, I figured I'd have plenty of time to get some of these on my next paycheck, but now you guys are making me worry about missing out on them to the scrap dealer.

Yes availability will be until this afternoon or until year 2100, price will move to zero or infinity. They will overclock to the moon or fail to run if your board doesn't support 2.0000V exactly.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 44 of 218, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ordered some because there's a build i've been meaning to finish, originally with K6-2 450.

How do you guys think the 570 would run with voodoo 2 SLI?

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 45 of 218, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Slower than at 600 with V2 SLI .... j/k and may not necessarily be true, some folks on the K6plus forums seemed to be finding that performance is notchy, IDK whether from the boards/chipsets or kicking in extra wait states at FSB thresholds or what was going on. Whatever it was, it was saying that best performance wasn't necessarily at highest CPU clock or highest FSB, some magic combo made it faster... (There was something like that going on with radeon HD series core/mem speeds IIRC)

Edit: I guess have "unfinished" projects with K6-x to finish/start, now it will be K6-2+ all the things! .. Well there's 2 boards that really deserve them P5A and 5AX, a machine that possibly needs their unique qualities the iOpener, boards that can run K6-2 and would be better with cache, or multi on the fly ... M571, M537, Octek Rhino 20+, T2P4 .. damn that's 7.. well I've got a low voltage normal 2 and a K6-III and some 450s for the boards that haven't got much FSB.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 46 of 218, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jasa1063 wrote on 2021-12-14, 20:25:

There is a huge number of these K6-2+ Embedded Super 7 CPUs for sale.

Thanks for sharing !

vetz wrote on 2021-12-15, 12:05:

I'll let this thread stay open for the following reasons:

Thanks for clarifying and explains why you let some links to ebay stay, it makes sense !

cyclone3d wrote on 2021-12-15, 21:31:

The seller actually has 3 separate listings for the K6-2+ 570 CPUs, each with close to 10,000 lots so that is more like 90k CPUs.

Ouch that is a lot of cpu's ! some of those are are not a bargain ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 47 of 218, by Hirsch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've ordered two batches for me and one for a friend in order to save shipping costs and customs. I can confirm that the seller accepted $60 offer per batch. This results in a price of approx. 26.30 EUR per CPU including shipment to Germany, fees and the bad USD to EUR exchange rate of PayPal.

Reply 49 of 218, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well you could buy 100, sorry 99, and try them all out to find the one that does 840 without liquid nitrogen. Then advertise the rejects locally like "Got a Winchip 2B 300 or MII 433 or 466, swap it for a free upgrade to K6-2+ 570!!" 😁

Reply 51 of 218, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2021-12-21, 23:26:

I wonder if there are other warehouses full of mint condition unicorns like 50,000 Adlib Golds or something...

Maybe not 50k, but it's possible there are a large amount stashed somewhere behind a bunch of other pallets. There's even more parts in various company warehouses. I was going though our Crit-A storage the other day at work and came across all sorts of computer gold. Evergreen CPU's, Alpha DS20 CPU's, IBM AT's and 5153 monitors still unopened, tons of ATI ISA video cards, etc. At some point I have to go through and scrap it, but I'll save what I can.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 53 of 218, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Byrd wrote on 2021-12-22, 02:05:

To those who have bought these, any overclocking results?

I have one but I’ve had so much trouble with my ss7 boards that I haven’t had the chance to play with it. Also I have a 3+ 550 so not much motivation 🤣.

But chips like these in theory can hit 800mhz on ln2 the existing socket 7 overclocking records were done on 2+ 550s

(For the longest time 550 2+ cpus were more common than these 570s) or they probably would have used the 570s when this guy started selling these it changed the availability market for these chips in a huge way. Now they are the definite go to chip just under a k6-3+

There is at least one cpuz verification for 140mhz x6 multiplier floating around the net. But it was only stable enough to prove it before it crashed.

Edit: I just discovered that the p5a 1.04 can do 150mhz fsb using hidden settings. I can confirm that it won’t even post though at such settings haha but that’s 900mhz possible if you get it cold enough. Maybe submerge the board in ln2 or helium.🤷‍♂️

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2021-12-29, 23:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 54 of 218, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I decided to pick up a couple of the AMD K6-III+/500ACR while those are still available from this seller. These are getting harder and harder to find. Most of the ones I see available now are 400MHz or less.

Reply 55 of 218, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MN_Moody wrote on 2021-12-16, 14:29:

They will never go that low, the "melt" scrap value on aluminum topped AMD CPU is around $26 per pound per boardsort.com's payout rate, which tends to align with the low end of what you'd get going to a precious metals recovery outfit at the end of the supply chain. Factoring in eBay's 15% cut, the ongoing storage cost/opportunity cost to keep these sitting around, and the hassle factor selling a couple at a time to retail buyers I expect they'll take them to scrap eventually if the sale volume drops off and bulk payout rate remains where it is.

(posting my train of thought for any other interested parties who might wonder exactly what MN_Moody's suggestion works out to....)

Interesting. Being too lazy to remove a CPU from a board and weigh it, I'll take Google's "3.2 ounces" as the weight of a K6/2 CPU. So that is 5 CPU's per pound, or $5.20 scrap value per CPU.

I'd suggest the storage cost for such small items may not be significantly factoring into the price, but if we allow for $1 per CPU, which means the seller is looking to recoup $50,000 total in order to store 50,000 CPUs for a nominal time period. They can rent a house, for that money.

So we have $6.20 per CPU, to which we'll add ebay's 15% - running total: $7.15 - plus another nominal couple-o'-bucks per CPU for retail handling. Let's round that to (a vague, but hopefully somewhat indicative) $10 per CPU cost-of-retail, in order to meet the equivalent in scrap value.

Reply 56 of 218, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2021-12-22, 01:58:

I was going though our Crit-A storage the other day at work and came across all sorts of computer gold. Evergreen CPU's, Alpha DS20 CPU's, IBM AT's and 5153 monitors still unopened, tons of ATI ISA video cards, etc. At some point I have to go through and scrap it, but I'll save what I can.

This sounds like a fairy tale and nightmare. I would love to buy a NOS IBM AT if it's affordable. I bet that you could sell them all if the price is right and you can ship them.

Reply 57 of 218, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 5170 experience is underwhelming. Think of your average, middle of the road, nothing special, 286 clone, the 5170 is half to a third as fast. If it was a $300 Walmart laptop it would make a 386sx16 look like a fully pimped i9 or Ryzen Threadripper. Sure if you find a used one locally for $50, it'll give you $50 worth of entertainment, but the four figures you'll be into for a NOS one, I don't think you'll see your moneys worth out of. Unless otherwise you'd blow it all on a two bottle minimum table at a ritzy nightclub on a Saturday night... then it's a slightly wiser choice.... but then 2 weeks later it would be another club bottle of Kristal worth of change to find an accelerator that works in it, because believe me, they're not charmingly slow like an Apple II, they are drudgingly slow. The kind of slow that sucks the color out of the room, makes the air cold and damp, and makes you wish you hadn't left your pencil in the other room because at least them you'd have something to stab yourself in the leg with while you were waiting for something to happen.

Reply 58 of 218, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-30, 03:47:

The 5170 experience is underwhelming. Think of your average, middle of the road, nothing special, 286 clone, the 5170 is half to a third as fast. If it was a $300 Walmart laptop it would make a 386sx16 look like a fully pimped i9 or Ryzen Threadripper. Sure if you find a used one locally for $50, it'll give you $50 worth of entertainment, but the four figures you'll be into for a NOS one, I don't think you'll see your moneys worth out of.

He could make sure it’s an 8mhz unit, remove as much onboard memory as possible and use 0ws dram or SRAM on an ISA card to speed things up a bit .

Also upgrading the IBM Bios to something better may open it up slightly with fewer bugs and speed restrictions.

Vintage equipment is rarely “worth it” unless the process of building/ optimizing a slightly faster than XT
“286” is worth the experience to him.

Reply 59 of 218, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote on 2021-12-30, 00:29:
wiretap wrote on 2021-12-22, 01:58:

I was going though our Crit-A storage the other day at work and came across all sorts of computer gold. Evergreen CPU's, Alpha DS20 CPU's, IBM AT's and 5153 monitors still unopened, tons of ATI ISA video cards, etc. At some point I have to go through and scrap it, but I'll save what I can.

This sounds like a fairy tale and nightmare. I would love to buy a NOS IBM AT if it's affordable. I bet that you could sell them all if the price is right and you can ship them.

Can't sell them, against company policy.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals