VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’ve been checking out the k6 gf2,3 benchmarks and wondering what would be good for my dual 233mmx build🤔 seems like a gf 256 or gf2 would be it but I probably need to talk to some of you guys with more experience.

Problem is. That there are like none of these in pci to be found..

So it’s looking like a pci to agp adapter except that the ones I see in low profile are vga I need dvi or hdmi.

I’m kinda looking for whatever card makes the record benchmarks on this platform.
best of the best

This is technically a dual build but for the games I’ll run it’s basically going to act like a single. (But not entirely)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 7, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would say, probably either a geforce 2 mx pci, or Radeon 9xxx pci card, are going to be the "quickest" kinds of compatible cards.

But ugghh, if you are seriously into playing 3d accelerated games, you will really want a faster CPU ... a midrange PII or PIII just does things so much better if you are looking for "fastest" or "best". Pentium 233 MMX is so slow that driver performance becomes a real bottleneck.

I would say, just a single Voodoo 1 or 2 in there and use appropriate software for the build. The Early voodoo drivers keep CPU load down and will help to bring the best out of system, rather than simple "be the fastest". Maybe either a Matrox PCI card for great 2D performance.

Reply 2 of 7, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
canthearu wrote on 2021-12-30, 02:28:

I would say, probably either a geforce 2 mx pci, or Radeon 9xxx pci card, are going to be the "quickest" kinds of compatible cards.

But ugghh, if you are seriously into playing 3d accelerated games, you will really want a faster CPU ... a midrange PII or PIII just does things so much better if you are looking for "fastest" or "best". Pentium 233 MMX is so slow that driver performance becomes a real bottleneck.

I would say, just a single Voodoo 1 or 2 in there and use appropriate software for the build. The Early voodoo drivers keep CPU load down and will help to bring the best out of system, rather than simple "be the fastest". Maybe either a Matrox PCI card for great 2D performance.

Voodoo didn’t come in dvi until voodoo 4 or 5 I think…?

If I’m changing platforms there isn’t much point to the project then is there 😂

It’s a dual 233mmx that’s the criteria :p and the goal is to make it zoom as much as I can!

I’d buy a voodoo 5500 for it right now if someone would make me a reasonable deal on one but these 500$ price tags are dreaming 🤣.

I can’t seem to find a geforce 2 in pci…? Do you see any?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 7, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've actually got a geforce 2 MX in PCI format ... they do exist. but the fan is noisy on it, making it bad for actual real world use.

Regarding the DVI vs VGA thing, get yourself a samsung 17/19 inch LCD monitor with VGA Inputs, it opens up so many more options.

As usual ... asking the build the "fastest" computer is really difficult, as it really depends on what you are running and what settings you are running it at.

There is always this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/384537164867?hash … CoAAOSwTNNhlCPw

But god knows how expensive it would be to land for you, and hell if I know if it is going to be the actual "fastest" at anything once all is said and done.

Reply 4 of 7, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
canthearu wrote on 2021-12-30, 04:51:
I've actually got a geforce 2 MX in PCI format ... they do exist. but the fan is noisy on it, making it bad for actual real worl […]
Show full quote

I've actually got a geforce 2 MX in PCI format ... they do exist. but the fan is noisy on it, making it bad for actual real world use.

Regarding the DVI vs VGA thing, get yourself a samsung 17/19 inch LCD monitor with VGA Inputs, it opens up so many more options.

As usual ... asking the build the "fastest" computer is really difficult, as it really depends on what you are running and what settings you are running it at.

There is always this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/384537164867?hash … CoAAOSwTNNhlCPw

But god knows how expensive it would be to land for you, and hell if I know if it is going to be the actual "fastest" at anything once all is said and done.

I have a desk set up with two 58” 4k tvs on my main win 10 computer my retro computer uses the hdmi 2

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 5 of 7, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unless you run something that can leverage HW T&L or introduce a GPU bottleneck by running in very high resolutions, 3Dfx cards from Voodoo2 and up should be faster by virtue of putting less of a driver overhead.

Reply 7 of 7, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Garrett W wrote on 2021-12-30, 08:45:

Unless you run something that can leverage HW T&L or introduce a GPU bottleneck by running in very high resolutions, 3Dfx cards from Voodoo2 and up should be faster by virtue of putting less of a driver overhead.

Yep, Voodoo2/Voodoo3 cards are faster in period correct games, and sometimes by A LOT.
And as for compatibility, there's just no contest. 😀

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k