VOGONS

First post, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have tomb raider gold and noticed that there is an S3 patch on the cd. I tried running it using ykhwong's 0.70 cvs dated 20070305 since it has S3 emulation, but all that I got was a message that says S3 virge not detected. Is there any way to make this work? I am curious to see what the graphics look like compared to the 3dfx patch.

Reply 1 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm afraid to report that the horrible proprietary s3 3d apis are not emulated yet, probably because of two factors:
- way too few games utilized virge API
- s3 makes horrible 3d cards anyway

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 18, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Isn't dosbox about full support. Dosbox doesn't even support windows 1.x and 2.x and 98 and 95 and it does not support 3d apis. Your still getting beaten by qemu and virtual pc on the early windows games support.

Reply 7 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, DosBox is not about "full support". Currently DosBox's goal is to be as compatible with DOS games as humanely possible. Windows 1/2/95/98 are not DOS games. DosBox is not being beaten by anything. If anything the "competition" is being beaten by DosBox. There is no competition since the other emulators do not support DOS games, at least not officially.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
abyss wrote:

Isn't dosbox about full support. Dosbox doesn't even support windows 1.x and 2.x and 98 and 95 and it does not support 3d apis. Your still getting beaten by qemu and virtual pc on the early windows games support.

abyss - For Windows games, you will need WINBox, not DOSBox.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
abyss wrote:

Where can i download winbox.

Nowhere - it does not exist.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 11 of 18, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Your still getting beaten by qemu and virtual pc on the early windows games support.

Definitely not. Boot msdos inside dosbox and you even get win1.x to work.
Besides that 2.0-3.11 already work with the builtin dos of dosbox.

Reply 13 of 18, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also, have fun getting games to work on Virtual PC (DOS games), I tried it a few times, the results are less than satisfactory and many games unplayable.

LoneLines list of workarounds for various games in DOSBox:
http://ADogsBox.jellofishi.com

Reply 14 of 18, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:
abyss wrote:

Where can i download winbox.

Nowhere - it does not exist.

www.winehq.org 😉 (which works surprisingly well these days)

Reply 16 of 18, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I'm afraid to report that the horrible proprietary s3 3d apis are not emulated yet, probably because of two factors:
- way too few games utilized virge API
- s3 makes horrible 3d cards anyway

i agree with you. the S3D API didnt had a chance to become popular, because of the overwhelming success of the voodoo chipset one year later.
it was also not very capable, but it introduces the first hardware 3d render techniques (billinear filtering and perspective correction).
back these days i saw a promotion screenshot of terminal velocity from S3 and i was very impressed, but never had a chance to play this game with its full glory. it would be great if dosbox could emulate the S3D API someday. 😀

EDIT: here is the one and only screenshot i found on the net from the patched terminal velocity which uses the S3D API:

Attachments

• tv-ss.gif
    Filename
    tv-ss.gif
    File size
    102.37 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    looks like voodoo graphics anyway...
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

sysprofile.png

Reply 18 of 18, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I owned some S3 3D card, bundled with an accelerated version of terminal veolcity, and honestly, it sucked. Performance was good, but tons of geometry errors all over the place, textures not being shown in correct perspective, that kind of stuff. The Voodoo (which I also owned) was deservedly better.