VOGONS

First post, by Dixie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got off the phone with PNY regarding my new geforce 7900GS card because none of my dos games would play that worked previously thanks to dosbox.

I was informed there are no new geforce cards that will support DOS or CGA in either AGP or PCI.

There only suggestion was to try to locate a video card like I had previously and wished me luck with it.

Thanks for the time that dosbox extended my favorite point and shoot games.

Reply 1 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*** Moving to PC Section ***

Reason: It's hardware related.

Yes, I will never buy nVIDIA again. First., they screw up VESA backwards compatibility and now I am using an integrated GeForce6 card (in a friend's computer) which is totally unable to display any VGA/EGA/CGA mode using Windows XP NTVDM.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

funny enough, they're a bad idea for Win9x too because even when you get a 'classic text mode' through full screen dos prompt or the Blue Screen of Death(tm), you'll get a black screen computer hang.

This had only really started happening in their drivers since somewhere around late 2001.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 8, by Riboflavin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I see what you mean. I can at least vouch for Nvidia's Geforce FX, at least the cheapy 5200 version (I used PNY). It's got all the VESA features of the older Geforces as far as I can tell, although it doesn't seem to be able to switch to higher refresh rates above 65hz in real dos. Formerly you could use hacks like unirfrsh to do this (although this utility does not work on my Geforce 2 MX even though it supposedly should).

ANyway, the Geforce 5 (FX) card I have seems to be as compatible as the good ol' Geforce 2 MX in DOS games, and comes closer to fixing the "Trpile Buffering flicker-glitch" I've been racking my brains over. So I'm pleased with it.

There's a thread about this Triple Buffering thing in the ZSNES forum for anyone interested:
http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p … 626b10fe69dadea

Personally, I've found the real difference between Geforce cards that sets them appart for DOS gaming rigs (even the ATi cards at least up until Radeon 7000's) is their ability to show Text-on-graphics. I don't know what this mode/method is called. Most other cards I've tried (including the Voodoo Banshee recently, and several ATi cards, and every Matrox card I can find) cannot write text-mode over graphics.

Here's one utility you can use to do it:
http://www.pictview.com/showjpg.htm

If you use a utility like this, and have it exit without clearing the screen, you can have a bat file echo text over a graphic. Looks great as a custom bootup screen. However, I've only seen it work properly with TNT/Geforce cards and the strange onboard graphics chips of my P2 HP laptop (called "magicview" or something). If anybody knows how to hack this with other cards, I'd love to know.

Another drawback is Geforce cards don't seem to work with UNIVBE. Anyone know differently?

So the Geforces (from 5 back) seems to work great for me, but I haven't tested all modes yet since it's only been in here for a couple days. It's good to know that the 6's and beyond don't (although this totally sucks), since this rules it out as an upgrade.

**Don't forget to enjoy the sauce**

Reply 4 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC, SDD 7 supports the Geforce FX but I've never tried it. SNAP does for sure but I don't know how that program works with DOS games and VESA...

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 8, by XVenomX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This explains so much... about half the people who've come to me trying to use Mechwarrior 2 dos couldn't even get the first screen to load. Yet... the other half, myself included, could at least get into the shell, and play at least some of the sim without any external programs.

Is there a list or something of video cards with this issue?

Reply 6 of 8, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got off the phone with PNY regarding my new geforce 7900GS card because none of my dos games would play that worked previously thanks to dosbox.

Let me understand this: do you mean you can't even play them in DosBox? What games are you trying to play?

Reply 7 of 8, by Moistvonlipwig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello folks

I don't want to be a pain in the arse, and I'm sure there's somewhere else I should be posting my question, but I see that people have been active on this thread today and I'm desperate for help.

I'm a first time user of dosbox and all I'm trying to do is run Discworld 1, which I recently downloaded in the shape of a torrent. (I'm sure you're all groaning, but I HAVE read the readme files and searched as best I can for more info to help me...) I've followed the set up instructions to the letter, the only problem is I don't know if I can run the game as it is because it's in winRAR archive format. What I have is 11 identical winRAR files inside the game's folder and I don't know what to type instead of .exe or equivalent. The files are all called mtx-dw. Is there something I need to do to change their format?

I'm sure you hate clueless idiots asking questions like this, but I'd really appreciate any guidance you could give me at all. Thank you!

Reply 8 of 8, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know if I can run the game as it is because it's in winRAR archive format

You can't "run" a WinRAR archive. You have to open it. Maybe WinRAR would help.
And NOT hijacking open topics would help even more.