VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 56, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
armani wrote on 2021-12-20, 00:51:

Several off the top of my mind that aren't released ANYWHERE, AvP2 + the expansion

I'd gladly replay AvP2, it was huge fun back in the early 2000s. Absolutely no idea why it is not sold anywhere. I'd say it's one of the best FPS games of its time, at least for the single player part (no idea about MP but it could be fun too I guess).

The expansion though... I felt it was too short, too linear and overall pretty much forced. Somehow it managed to lack the depth of the original game too.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 21 of 56, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrFlibble wrote on 2021-12-30, 13:07:

The expansion though... I felt it was too short, too linear and overall pretty much forced. Somehow it managed to lack the depth of the original game too.

Some people have harsher opinions about the expansion.

https://youtu.be/c1i9-LIvSj8

I for one remember enjoying it, though I don't remember all that much about the details. It's been something like 15 years ago that I've beaten it.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 22 of 56, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I pretty much agree with the points GGman brings, I had to save scum a lot to get through the Corporate levels, and it was not fun at all. Constant ambushes in an obviously linear environment is pretty much the opposite of the base game's Marine campaign, not to mention that this kind of frantic gameplay ruins all suspense and tension of the AvP universe. I hated the last Corporate level where you need to slog through dangerously narrow mountain paths that severely limit your ability to manoeuvre, again with regular ambushes of aliens spawning out of nowhere on you.

The Predator campaign could be fun but it was too short and has a downer ending. The new weapon felt rather useless.

The Predalien campaign -- eh, they had three levels and went the base game route, so you first play as the hugger and then as the chestburster, leaving one level for the Predalien proper.

Reply 23 of 56, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AVP2 is complete abandonware and it's not sold anywhere, because the companies behind it (IP Owner, dev studios, and publisher) are all under different (and competing) corporate ownership now. Disney owns the Fox assets and shut down their computer entertainment holdings, Warner Bros owns Monolith Entertainment and Third Law Interactive (Primal Hunt expansion) folded after a few years, and we all know what happened to Sierra and who owns it now. Anyway, it still has a large and dedicated community of online players and you can get the game and expansion together in a single package, with fan patches and such, through them. Monolith (unofficially) supports that online community and routinely participates in discussions and the occasional multi-player match. The game does work relatively well on modern systems, but you will likely have to tweak/tinker with settings and such. I have not been able to get it to work properly on my Win10 rig, but I appear to be in a very small minority of players, and you can certainly slap it on your XP retro machine and play it that way, EAX and all.

Reply 25 of 56, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrogamerguy1997 wrote on 2022-01-07, 18:21:

I'd like to get my hands on Heretic 2 but it's not on Steam or GOG. I liked the first heretic, but couldn't really get into Hexen.

You probably don't really...

Reply 26 of 56, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The list for me is endless because I have a stash-pile of abandonware the size of the original Home of the Underdogs in scope and then I have a bunch of big boxes with games in them I've collected over the last 20 years.

BIG BOX Stuff I Have
- Goldrush
- The Black Cauldron
- Manhunter: New York
- Manhunter: San Francisco
- Leisure Suit Larry 2 (That game is bloody hard, especially that bloody ship puzzle)
- The Emporer's BeQuest
- Kings Quest 1-4
- Space Quest 1 & 2
- Police Quest 1 & 2

ABANDONWARE
- Prince of Persia
- Legacy of the Ancients
- Ultima I-V, Ultima VII-IX (I've beaten Ultima VI: the False Prophet but I'd love to explore more)
- Ultima Underworld I & II
- Thexder
- Silpheed

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 27 of 56, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retrogamerguy1997 wrote on 2022-01-07, 18:21:

I'd like to get my hands on Heretic 2 but it's not on Steam or GOG. I liked the first heretic, but couldn't really get into Hexen.

I think the wikipedia article gives us a hint as to why it's not for sale anywhere currently...

""Following ZeniMax Media's acquisition of id Software in 2009, the rights to the series have been disputed between both id and Raven Software; Raven holds the development rights, while id holds the publishing rights to Heretic II's predecessors.""

That plus low sales probably means there's not a whole lot of people screaming for it that would mean it's worth the lawyer time to sort it out.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 28 of 56, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With the help of HLTB today I realized I have about 2300hrs of backlog counting only the games I already own. I'll probably never beat half of them.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 29 of 56, by armani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Several off the top of my mind that aren't released ANYWHERE, AvP2 + the expansion

I'd gladly replay AvP2, it was huge fun back in the early 2000s. Absolutely no idea why it is not sold anywhere. I'd say it's one of the best FPS games of its time, at least for the single player part (no idea about MP but it could be fun too I guess).

From what I heard AvP2 is in licensing hell, and there's several different potential companies which the license for the game could belong to.

Same as NOLF and NOLF2. It's unfortunate we have conundrums like this.

Reply 30 of 56, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh right, the licensing issues. A shame so many good games suffer from this, e.g. the old Bethesda's Terminator titles are really good too! To say nothing of Dune and Dune II.

Reply 31 of 56, by Einherje

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2021-08-08, 15:57:
Below are the games I've noted that I have from online stores or websites, I haven't gone through all my other games yet. […]
Show full quote

Below are the games I've noted that I have from online stores or websites, I haven't gone through all my other games yet.

Daggerfall

When you've worked your way down to Daggerfall somwhere around spring 2028, then definitely go for Daggerfall Unity. It's an authentic Bethesda experience beside the fact that the game seem to work.

Joke aside, you get mouse look and smooth 60+ fps while all the original assets are preserved. Quality of life right there.

Reply 32 of 56, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Aha, think I've found a nice list to be going on with of things to play, that doesn't spin off into the margins too much and is fairly broad...
https://archive.org/details/pcformatgold95/pa … e/n115/mode/2up

It's a shame that that archive copy appears to have been pulled from the trunk of Miss Belvedere or something though.

It seems that 100% of those should play on a DX2/66 with a large number that are 386 minimum, a noticeable amount that are 286 playable, and a handful that XTs can manage. Somewhat the score given is age related, so even though it's only getting 60% or something in this "best stuff you can get in late 1994" kind of publication, it still might be the hottest thing you could've run on your 286. But specifically I disagree with the Frontier: Elite II score, hamfisted jerk must have played it on lowest spec without detail reduced... it smooths out with good hardware, and combat co-ordination takes practice. There's a couple of points that are kinda valid though.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 33 of 56, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The list is endless, but I'll pick a few prominent ones to discuss today.

Planescape : Torment

I'm a huge fan of fantasy novels and series. Since many years before this game's inception. And a sometime computer-gamer, as my presence here implies. So this game - a fantasy game, legendary for it's written word and story - falls directly into my wheelhouse. I wasn't gaming much during it's era, and somehow, in the 20 years since, have never managed to make the time commitment and mental commitment to experience this renowned storytelling. One day.

An RTS game newer than Dune II

At the time of it's release, I played a bit of Dune II, i.e. finished it several times, had many an "overnighter". Then in the mid 90's I took some time away from computers, and entirely missed the following Command n Conquer -based evolution of the scene. So I now have the dubious honour of having never ever played a CnC. Again - maybe one day. Or maybe it's too late - I'm not sure how well they aged, without the personal nostalgia to prop them up. I will now segue (by way of Warcraft) to ...

Starcraft

Again from the strategy legends stable, I can hand-on-heart say I've never played this. Not once. Never even seen a video of it in action. Don't really know what it is. I assume it's like Dune II crossed with Star Control II. Haha. 😀

Reply 34 of 56, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Shreddoc - C&C is good and there are three options for you now. Original C&C/RedAlert in VGA resolution, C&C Gold in 640x480 and the newest rework. I liked the Gold version much more as 320x200 is somewhat less playable.

Starcraft is amazing, both first and second games (and even Reforged one). It brings some Action/RPG flavor in several missions that was developed even more in Starcraft II.

I have so many bought games to finish or replay...

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 35 of 56, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Einherje wrote on 2022-01-14, 10:36:

When you've worked your way down to Daggerfall somwhere around spring 2028, then definitely go for Daggerfall Unity. It's an authentic Bethesda experience beside the fact that the game seem to work.

Joke aside, you get mouse look and smooth 60+ fps while all the original assets are preserved. Quality of life right there.

Let me throw in my two cents, but DFU in its current state is yet quite a long way from being an "authentic experience". Unlike a source port or a fully reverse-engineered recreation akin to The Force Engine, DFU does not play exactly like vanilla Daggerfall. It's very close in some aspects, but the numerous minor differences accumulate into what is essentially a different game that uses the original Daggerfall assets. When I play DFU I cannot get off the feeling that weapon swinging for example works differently here.

DFU's main strength is its limitless modding potential, and a huge collection of already existing mods that enhance gameplay and the roleplaying experience in a variety of ways (BTW, read this for an entertaining playthrough with such enhancements).

But if you want to play the original thing, warts and all, you better pick DOSBox and install all official and community patches. DOS32A helps a lot with crashes, so replacing DOS/4GW with that is recommended.

Reply 36 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really liked the AVP2 campaign. I even played through the aliens campaign where I used cheats at the start of every level to morph my drone into a runner! 😜
AVP2 online was the best!! ^^
My favorite online game mode was survivor, especially humans having to survive aliens, but aliens having to survive humans was also fun (was more a hide&seek kind of game 😜).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 37 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyway, games I still want to beat or actually start. First the games I started but haven't actually completed yet:

-Hellcopter! Years ago I made it through almost all of the levels, but was unable to beat the final few of them because of how difficult I found them. Can't remember much as this was so long ago.
-Subnautica Below Zero
-Rome Total War - BI. Started playing my first campaign, then my pc broke and I kinda forgot about it.
-Witcher 3 Wild Hunt (only recently started playing this game)
-Stellaris. This bloody game eats so many hours that patch day ends up arriving sooner than my end game and for some reason these patches always tend to break my mods, rendering my older savegames useless, thanks to that awesome compulsory steam "I want you connected all the time and you must love it!" bs).
-Prey. This is kinda a funny story. I started playing this game but at the time I had gotten used to playing FPSs using invert Y axis. Since Prey didn't have the option to reverse this, I basically couldn't control my aim worth anything so I abandoned my playthrough really early.
Fast forward a number of years and now I've taught myself to play FPSs without inverting y-axis (still flying anything confuses the heck outa me xD). So I'm ready to give it another try! 😁
-Amsterdoom. A really odd and quircky Doom clone set in the center of Amsterdam. Would want to give it another try if only because it's Amsterdam lmao!
-Battlestations Midway. Main reason I stopped playing my (barely started) campaign was because the IBM deathstar I know you probably can guess what happened next -_-
(the IBM deathstar of my XP 2000+ rig spontaneously had died when I tried to boot up my 2000+ rig and that was the beginning of the end of it).
Never ended up reinstalling as I had so many other games to play (I preferred to finish Unreal 2 instead, which imo was a really nice game despite the hate it received).
-Zoo Tycoon. I started playing it out of boredom, just messing around a bit. I'm not even sure it has a proper ending but if it has then I'm sure I never got anywhere near it 🤣
-GTA. The first! Teh original! I played it so much yet never even started to progress in any significant way because I always really soon ended up starting a massive killing spree instead.
-Neverwinter Nights. Iirc I did reach the last city level? But I liked the forests much more and as the city levels didn't really interest me that much I basically abandoned my playthrough. Also it's a nice game to mod. And a shame that I kinda always ended up taking that rogue trap remover guy so never really got to try any of the other ones.
-Frogger. Fun little game. But never finished it.
-Lost Vikings 2. Same thing. Just took a break and never got around to continuing.

Games I never started, but still want to when the right time is nigh (lol)
-FEAR 2 - Project Origin.
-TES4 Oblivion. But I might end up waiting for Skyblivion instead.
-Some of the other Total War games, like napoleon or empire. Or perhaps some of the newer ones but I haven't purchased any of the newer ones yet.
-Dungeon Siege. Kinda interested in where Chris Taylor took this game.
-Dino Crisis. Shooting big dinos, what's not to love about it? 😜
-Deus Ex. Have it. Never started a playthrough of it.
-half Life. Never played any of these games because of my deeply rooted distaste of anything that had to do with steam.
-Descent 2. Not even sure if it has a campaign or anything but I always liked the concept (and seeing a friend play it once).

There's ample other games but I think this list is long enough for now 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 38 of 56, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was on a good streak early last year but then kinda faded back into modern online stuff. I finished for the first time: Doom, Duke3d, Blood, Quake, Jedi Knight (and the expansion), Max Payne, C&C1, C&C2, Red Alert, Red Alert 2, XCOM, Monkey Island 2, Sam N Max, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, The Dig, Beneath a Steel Sky. Basically every game I was keen on back in the day but never attempted to finish or never had a copy of.

Now I want to finish Doom 2, Quake 2, Doom 3, Quake 4, Shadow Warrior, Terror from the Deep, Need for speed 1,2,3,4,5, Moto Racer, Redline Racer, Screamer 2, Screamer Rally, Jazz Jackrabbit and for kicks I want to finish all the first Lemmings levels. Thinking about Dark Forces as well as the other Doom engine games like Hexen/Heretic/Strife (but i kinda doubt I'll be keen enough).

I've had multiple attempts at TFTD but it's kicked my ass too many times. I feel like I need to just completely start over each time i get stuck rather than try to claw my way back into contention. I seem to always fall behind the points system and either lose all my squads/money or lose points and fail in the monthly reports. This one will feel amazing once I beat it. I'm not interested in doing it in OpenXcom, I want to finish it the way I started. 320x200 with an SB16, all the bugs and all the frustration.

Reply 39 of 56, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
foil_fresh wrote on 2022-03-22, 03:18:

I was on a good streak early last year but then kinda faded back into modern online stuff. I finished for the first time: Doom, Duke3d, Blood, Quake, Jedi Knight (and the expansion), Max Payne, C&C1, C&C2, Red Alert, Red Alert 2, XCOM, Monkey Island 2, Sam N Max, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, The Dig, Beneath a Steel Sky. Basically every game I was keen on back in the day but never attempted to finish or never had a copy of.

Now I want to finish Doom 2, Quake 2, Doom 3, Quake 4, Shadow Warrior, Terror from the Deep, Need for speed 1,2,3,4,5, Moto Racer, Redline Racer, Screamer 2, Screamer Rally, Jazz Jackrabbit and for kicks I want to finish all the first Lemmings levels. Thinking about Dark Forces as well as the other Doom engine games like Hexen/Heretic/Strife (but i kinda doubt I'll be keen enough).

I've had multiple attempts at TFTD but it's kicked my ass too many times. I feel like I need to just completely start over each time i get stuck rather than try to claw my way back into contention. I seem to always fall behind the points system and either lose all my squads/money or lose points and fail in the monthly reports. This one will feel amazing once I beat it. I'm not interested in doing it in OpenXcom, I want to finish it the way I started. 320x200 with an SB16, all the bugs and all the frustration.

Fun fact about Terror from the Deep: Original XCOM had a bug that made the game difficulty change to easy no matter what you had set it to and this caused some criticism game being too easy. So when they started developing TftD they pretty much cranked the difficulty to eleven since that's what they thought people wanted. The difficulty bug in XCOM was found much later while they were working on a windows release of the original, must have been one of those "oops" moments.