VOGONS

First post, by Triadasoul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic - and everything works perfect (I went to windowed mode, then just cutting the window title - so fullscreen %))

But I have some problem because when VRAM usage for the game hits 4GB (I have 8gb) the game starts to corrupt savegames and crashes afterwards. The game is designed that way it works even on 256 of VRAM, so I suppose it has some genuine function to clear the memory. I tried to limit VRAM in Videocard setting of dgVoodoo, but it doesn't affect actual usage of VRAM.

Is there a way to strictly limit the VRAM ? Or may be there are some other tools which could do that ?

Reply 1 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You may be able to reflash the video bios to indicate less ram, wether it works or not I’m not sure. But people have physically removed ram chips from cards before to make stuff like this work. The guy with the 7800? and windows 98 comes to mind

Not ideal for sure.

Maybe riva tuner can help? Idk,

May be a registry setting for this.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 8, by Felipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But I have some problem because when VRAM usage for the game hits 4GB (I have 8gb) the game starts to corrupt savegames and crashes afterwards. The game is designed that way it works even on 256 of VRAM, so I suppose it has some genuine function to clear the memory. I tried to limit VRAM in Videocard setting of dgVoodoo, but it doesn't affect actual usage of VRAM.

Are you sure about this? It seems more a problem with the game itself than dgvoodoo. Did you search info about this on pcgamingwiki or unofficial patches for the game just in case?

Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win10 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000 Onboard

7zlogo01.png

Reply 3 of 8, by Triadasoul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Felipe wrote on 2022-01-01, 15:13:

Are you sure about this? It seems more a problem with the game itself than dgvoodoo. Did you search info about this on pcgamingwiki or unofficial patches for the game just in case?

Actullay I'm from the team who made those unnofficial patches (currently working on 1.6). And I know the cause is the usage of many new graphics at once, if there would be low memory - it would be ok, but it's somehow connected with too much memory - because engine can't handle more than 4gb of VRAM used (I see it from VRAM monitor) - it loads everything it sees and never flushes it (which it does when there's not enough memory). So I need somehow to limit it with approx less then 4gb.

We became pretty freaky with new graphics these days:

glutton.gif

Reply 4 of 8, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Option DirectX\VRAM is for limiting the amount of resources allocated in video memory.
But, if you allocate managed type of resources (like textures), those don't count for the limit because they have a system memory copy as well, so how an old DD/D3D game like this can allocate that much memory in a 2GB space?

Reply 5 of 8, by Triadasoul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2022-01-01, 20:21:

Option DirectX\VRAM is for limiting the amount of resources allocated in video memory.
But, if you allocate managed type of resources (like textures), those don't count for the limit because they have a system memory copy as well, so how an old DD/D3D game like this can allocate that much memory in a 2GB space?

That's because we added too much of content %) (approx 5-6gb). Still the amount of VRam it uses is bigger then the content it loads, may be because of the unpacked usage (it uses bitmap format for animation so a large Cthulhu unit weights approx 100mb with it's animation - and it's only one unit - we have 800 different or so) or may be because of converting 8bit to 16 bit (which is less likely, because when it sees that Cthulhu ingame - the amount of used memory just jumps up for 100mb).

Reply 6 of 8, by Triadasoul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem solved. It was the memory issue, but it was of low RAM memory allocated for old app in modern windows. This app completely fixes the problem:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/la … s-aware.112556/

Reply 7 of 8, by Felipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Triadasoul wrote on 2022-01-05, 16:24:

The problem solved. It was the memory issue, but it was of low RAM memory allocated for old app in modern windows. This app completely fixes the problem:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/la … s-aware.112556/

Meh, i thought about suggesting this tool since i got it here, but i was afraid i could be wrong about it. Good it was fixed. 😀

Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win10 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000 Onboard

7zlogo01.png