VOGONS

First post, by FireLion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So i was going through my boxes full of old Video games and i found my copy of U.S Navy Fighters in great condition, with CD, Instructions and everything. I put the disc in the DVD/CD drive on my PC with Windows 10 installed and it actually worked. I installed the game and everything worked perfectly. I decided to do an experiment and try to install it on my old school Macbook (its a Macbook Air 2017 13 inch). So I burned the disc and turned it .iso file (with still having the files on the disc) and put it on the Macbook. I installed DOSbox mac version on it and typed the mounting iso command. It actually showed the Installation screen, so i tried to install it but the only drive that i could install it on is the Z drive, which apparently had 0 mb of disc space, and I have no idea what Z drive is, how to install stuff on it or how to change the Installation path. Does anyone else have this issue? Is there a Solution to it? If there is, please let me know

Reply 1 of 3, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is nothing specific to this game, this will happen with almost any game that is not designed to run from the install media.

You first need to mount a "c:" drive. For instance, you could create a directory "dosroot" and then folder mount that directory to be your C: drive. e.g., inside dosbox:

mount c: /home/myuser/dosroot

Assuming that /home/myuser/dosroot exists, and you have read-write permissions to it, it will become your C: drive and you can then install software to it.

Likewise you will also need to mount the C: drive when you restart DOSBox and want to play the game.

Reply 2 of 3, by FireLion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, all i did was create a folder named "dosroot" in the myuser page, so it starts of with the computer drive, which i entered through that, then I went through the users folder, and since the macbook is an old school computer, i went through the student user where all the folders are, such as the desktop folder, applications folder, downloads folder etc. and thats where i created it. But because the installer file is in the .iso file, how would i get the game to install into there. (sorry if this was worded confusingly)

Here is the command I typed in dosbox: mount c: /users/student/dosroot
Then it says Drive C is mounted as local directory /users/student/dosroot, is that a good sign. I might need a step by step process on how to do it, i'm new to DOSbox

Reply 3 of 3, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you have a box full of old dos games that you played back in the day, how come you don't seem to know anything about running said DOS games?

Once you have mounted a C: drive, which based on what you wrote seems to work, you now need to mount the ISO file, then you need to change to the CD-ROM drive and start the installer.

The instructions would be something along the lines of:

mount c: /users/student/dosroot
imgmount d: /users/student/cd/game.iso
d:
install

The installer may not be called "install", it may be called "setup", or something else entirely. You can use the DIR command to list the contents.