VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there some common PC or gaming thing which you haven't done for a surprisingly-long time?? (clean things!, haha)

• Maybe this is a game genre which you 'just aren't interested in'.
  • Or a type of hardware you haven't used/bought.
  • A programming language you haven't written with since <>.
  • etc...

--

Me, I just read about people playing new-ish Resident Evil games. And I thought to myself, wow!, I never actually played that sort of game at all, totally skipped the genre.

And in fact, the last time I can remember playing a game like that is the truly OG "Alone in the Dark" on PC in the early 90's. (I'll give an exception for Doom 3 and it's eminent jump-scare status!)

What's a surprisingly long gap in your PC life?

Reply 2 of 3, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- I hadn't used floppy disks or DOS on real hardware in over 22 years until I build a DOS/Win98SE PC couple months ago. Also installed Doom 2 using retail floppies, I don't think I had EVER before installed anything on DOS that wasn't a illegal copy 😐

- Bought a PlayStation One about 3 years ago, hadn't played PS1 games on real hardware since around 2001

- I don't think I had played a city builder game since Sim City 2000 until Cities: Skylines came along 2015

Reply 3 of 3, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last time I wrote anything in Ruby was 10 years ago.

And yet the latest C# releases have brought the Range operator, which I used to use all the time when I was writing Ruby.

Weird how programming languages are still bringing features that were "new" decades ago...