VOGONS

First post, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There used to be a nice page on Wikipedia which listed all games that had EAX support, including the different versions of EAX. This page has been deleted on December 9th 2021. See here for more details.

Currently, the list is being mirrored here. I'm wondering if we should also mirror this on the Vogons wiki and possibly expand it to include A3D and A3D 2.0 games as well. Thoughts?

EDIT:

https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … ith_EAX_support

We now have a mirror on the Vogons wiki, courtesy of @dr_st

Last edited by Joseph_Joestar on 2022-01-10, 14:02. Edited 1 time in total.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 1 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's ridiculous on what wikipedia decides to keep or or not. If they cared they could at the very least use Alchemy as a source https://support.creative.com/kb/showarticle.aspx?sid=28967 but even there I'm sure they'd find some reason where that isn't good enough. Would mobygames as a source work or is even that not good enough? https://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/att … uteId,1271/p,3/

If someone verified the game used eax.dll would that be a qualifier?

======== L:/GOG/Games/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat/bin/dedicated/eax.dll
File Version Number : 3.0.1.0
Product Version : 3.01
Directory : L:/GOG/Games/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat/bin/dedicated
======== L:/GOG/Games/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat/bin/eax.dll
Directory : L:/GOG/Games/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat/bin
======== L:/GOG/Games/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky/bin/eax.dll
Directory : L:/GOG/Games/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky/bin
======== L:/GOG/Games/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl/bin/eax.dll
Directory : L:/GOG/Games/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl/bin
======== L:/Steam/Games/steamapps/common/The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot/GameData/Bin/eax.dll
File Version Number : 3.0.6.2
Product Version : 3.062
Directory : L:/Steam/Games/steamapps/common/The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot/GameData/Bin
======== L:/Steam/Games/steamapps/common/Red Faction/eax.dll
File Version Number : 0.0.0.1
Product Version : 0.0.0.1
Directory : L:/Steam/Games/steamapps/common/Red Faction
======== L:/Steam/Games/steamapps/common/Max Payne 2 The Fall of Max Payne/eax.dll
Directory : L:/Steam/Games/steamapps/common/Max Payne 2 The Fall of Max Payne
======== L:/Ubisoft/Games/Ubisoft Game Launcher/games/Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon/eax.dll
File Version Number : 2.6.0.0
Product Version : 2.06
Directory : L:/Ubisoft/Games/Ubisoft Game Launcher/games/Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
======== L:/Ubisoft/Games/Ubisoft Game Launcher/games/Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell/system/eax.dll
File Version Number : 3.0.6.2
Product Version : 3.062
Directory : L:/Ubisoft/Games/Ubisoft Game Launcher/games/Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell/system

If wikipedia is that hard up for cash then they need to do better about funding. If the requirement is that everything on wikipedia has to be verifiable then that is ridiculous and unsustainable. Do the best you can obviously but deleting shit just because? Uhh no.

There should most likely be a wikipedia alternative hosted at archive.org for all information not just what people think is important. Relegating a deleted page to a different wiki dedicated to archiving deleted wikipedia articles (Why is this a thing?) is nowhere near good enough.

There is pcgamingwiki as well so more than likely the list will show up there.

I've learned the best thing to do with idiocy is cut it out of your life so likely best thing to do is not use wikipedia for anything and spread the word. They may realize the error of their ways eventually, but likely not.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2022-01-09, 15:03. Edited 2 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 18, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While I agree that Wikipedia is way past the point where insisting on a topic's "significance" makes any sense, the serious quality issues with that page were real.
IMHO, the quality issues, especially the questionable verifiability, do indeed make it unsuitable for an encyclopedia.
Just put it somewhere else.

Reply 3 of 18, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it could be a good idea making an eax support list thread here on vogons with a clear title (for google results) and expanding on the entries with any quirks or versions numbers of the games supported. either lock it and continue editing the main posts or leave it open for discussion/q&a. or possibly a vogonswiki page?

Reply 5 of 18, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The few times I tried to contribute to wikipedia by providing corrections to inaccurate info, they were reverted in less than a day for no reason. I think most of their "editors" are power tripping narcissists.

Reply 6 of 18, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anders- wrote on 2022-01-10, 00:00:
DosFreak wrote on 2022-01-09, 14:24:

I've learned the best thing to do with idiocy is cut it out of your life so likely best thing to do is not use wikipedia for anything and spread the word. They may realize the error of their ways eventually, but likely not.

Ditto.
Wikipedia started out as a good idea back in the day, shame it couldn't stay that way.

maybe cut it for lists of games with specific characteristics, but as an introduction to a topic in science, history, biographies etc it's still a good starting point

Reply 7 of 18, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Plasma wrote on 2022-01-10, 00:35:

The few times I tried to contribute to wikipedia by providing corrections to inaccurate info, they were reverted in less than a day for no reason. I think most of their "editors" are power tripping narcissists.

I had that experience too. It depends on the domain. Some domains are OK, but others are guarded by over-zealous editors. I stopped contributing to Wikipedia because of this. And I also stopped contributing to them financially (prior to my last chain of experiences I donated them a couple of times during their annual fundraisers). Let them make due however they see fit.

Wikipedia is still good for a basic source of info on many subjects. Whatever lists they don't want to keep, I'm sure we can put elsewhere. VOGONS wiki does seem like a good choice for "List of games with EAX Support". Can I just copy & paste from Fandom / Deletionpedia?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 18, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2022-01-10, 11:58:

Can I just copy & paste from Fandom / Deletionpedia?

From what I can tell, Fandom's copy is identical to Wikipedia's old entry, so it should be a good starting point.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 9 of 18, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I copied and pasted the content, removed some irrelevant templates, fixed the references (internal links had to be converted to external Wikipedia links) and removed the links from all game names (since it would take too long to manually update them, and we don't need that many Wikipedia links anyways.

Do you like it?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 11 of 18, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2022-01-10, 13:39:

I copied and pasted the content, removed some irrelevant templates, fixed the references (internal links had to be converted to external Wikipedia links) and removed the links from all game names (since it would take too long to manually update them, and we don't need that many Wikipedia links anyways.

Do you like it?

Looks good to me. Cheers!

Reply 12 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That sucks, more then a few times I've linked to that wiki article. It may not be 100% accurate but good for a quick reference, especially for newbie's.
Still crisis averted, thanks dr_st (and Joseph_Joestar for pointing it out)

Reply 13 of 18, by nightbanshee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So one question I have about lists like this is the ambiguity:

1. If a game is not listed in the table does that mean it doesn’t support EAX or does it mean it hasn’t been evaluated?
2. Likewise what does it mean if a game is listed, but no boxes are checked?

A short description of how to interpret the table could help remove the ambiguity. Then maybe starts a thread that people can post to to have the table updated? Just some thoughts.

Compaq Portable ii - Lucky find
Compaq Prolinea 486 - Long term restoration
Frankenstein Socket 7 166Mhz Pentium MMX - In progress
Random Pentium III
Dell Latitude D830
Mac Powerbook G3 Pismo
Mac Powerbook G4 15

Reply 14 of 18, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nightbanshee wrote on 2022-01-18, 13:20:

1. If a game is not listed in the table does that mean it doesn’t support EAX or does it mean it hasn’t been evaluated?

Not evaluated. For example, The Witcher does support EAX, but it is not on the list.

Probably that the person who submitted that game wasn't certain whether it supports EAX, DirectSound 3D or something else.

Reply 15 of 18, by nightbanshee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-01-18, 13:40:
Not evaluated. For example, The Witcher does support EAX, but it is not on the list. […]
Show full quote
nightbanshee wrote on 2022-01-18, 13:20:

Not evaluated. For example, The Witcher does support EAX, but it is not on the list.

Probably that the person who submitted that game wasn't certain whether it supports EAX, DirectSound 3D or something else.

Yeah that makes sense. What do you think about coloring the cells kind of like they do on some Wikipedia lists/tables for software? It can get a little overwhelming for large tables, but the visual cue could be nice too. Just a thought.

Compaq Portable ii - Lucky find
Compaq Prolinea 486 - Long term restoration
Frankenstein Socket 7 166Mhz Pentium MMX - In progress
Random Pentium III
Dell Latitude D830
Mac Powerbook G3 Pismo
Mac Powerbook G4 15

Reply 16 of 18, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nightbanshee wrote on 2022-01-19, 00:12:

Yeah that makes sense. What do you think about coloring the cells kind of like they do on some Wikipedia lists/tables for software? It can get a little overwhelming for large tables, but the visual cue could be nice too. Just a thought.

Sure, that sounds reasonable.

I don't have editing access to the Vogons wiki so someone else would need to handle the updates.

Reply 17 of 18, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-01-19, 02:48:

I don't have editing access to the Vogons wiki so someone else would need to handle the updates.

You can ask for access, and eventually you will get it.

I don't mind doing the work, but please tell me how you want it. 😉

Reply 18 of 18, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2022-01-19, 08:02:

You can ask for access, and eventually you will get it.

I don't mind doing the work, but please tell me how you want it. 😉

I'll put in an access request later today.

As for the formatting, I think he wanted something like this: https://playstation.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_P … e_display_modes

With green tinted backgrounds for the fields which indicate that a feature is supported.