VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello,

are there any problems using a early Pentium III 500 + i440BX mainboard with Win 95 to test oldest cards like early PCI accelerators or it's better to use older Socket 7 mainboards or an older CPU without SSE and/or L2 cache? Considering testing cards like the PCX2 or old ones and I'd like to build a stable config I can trust its stability to focus on the tested video cards.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 8, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think Win95 had issues with CPUs faster than 350MHz, not sure if it was fixed in later versions like OSR2. Here's the fix.

As to the hardware part, I think 440BX should be a pretty solid testbed. My Evans & Sutherland Freedom (early OpenGL PCI accelerator with an onboard S3 968 chip) wouldn't work on a VS440FX Socket 8 board (even though it's 1 or 2 years newer), but would happily work on a Chaintech 6BTM0. Go figure.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 2 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The OS doesn't directly interact with the CPU, rather with the motherboard chipset. If there are (good) chipset drivers for Win95, it will work fine. If not, less so. i440BX is very nicely supported, so should work just as well as older motherboards. Consider that Windows 95 was current when the i440BX was released, so there's nothing strange about that combination.

Reply 3 of 8, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, eventually I might try using an older slower cpu like a Celeron 333 but any time I install a new cpu is absurdly stressing on this Slot mechanism when switching them. So I preferred to use a single cpu for most tests of different vga periods and the P3-500 seems like a good balanced choice.

Reply 4 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My P2 400 duel booted Win95c and NT4 for the first year I had it, This is back in late 98 when drivers weren't so mature as well.

Reply 5 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was a thread here that investigated what happens if software tries to use SSE with Windows 95. The OS is not aware of SSE registers. I think problems can happen. I would probably avoid SSE CPUs with Win95.

Reply 6 of 8, by ise

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A non-SSE aware OS should not enable SSE, which is disabled at boot time. If some buggy application still thinks that SSE is available, you will simply get an illegal instruction exception at a very first SSE instruction.

Reply 7 of 8, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If does bad thing when do thing, don't do thing which make it do bad thing.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok yeah I found the other thread about SSE and 95. They did do testing of it, including using a TSR to enable SSE use in 95. It is indeed not available without using an external enabler.

Re: Windows 95, 3Dnow, and SSE