VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can anyone recommend me any good Japanese DOS/Windows 9x games?

Reply 1 of 8, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know a number of good DOS ones. Pretty much all Japanese DOS PC games are PC-98 ports, I can't think of a single one that isn't. For now I'll list 5. All are either in Japanese but you don't have to read to play them, or they are English translated.

Rusty
Puyo Puyo 2
Goggle-3: Super Spartan
Marble Cooking
Princess Maker 2

I would mention Farland Story, which imo is a very good game, however the DOS PC port was only released in Chinese. The PC-98 original does have an English translation, and I did start work on adapting that to the Chinese DOS PC version, but I got sidetracked a while ago. I can send you the unfinished work if you'd like.

As for Win9x, that has a number of easily available Japanese developed games, especially by Sega. Stuff like Daytona USA, Virtua Cop/Squad, etc. Those are all great. I assume you mean more obscure or Japan-only, though.

For those, two that come to mind are Eastern Mind: the Lost Souls of Tong-Nou and Demon Hunter Mai. The later in the manual actually says Windows 95 is not supported, that's odd because I tried it myself and it works perfectly fine.

The only problem is, good luck finding some of these things. A couple of the DOS ones I know of are so obscure that they aren't even in Total DOS Collection!

Reply 3 of 8, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On a modern PC I use Neko Project II or a fork like Neko Project 21/w. I use Anex86 on my Pentium MMX 233 PC every now and then, wouldn't recommend it on a modern PC because it's too outdated.

Reply 4 of 8, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Knights of Xentar. It's the only eroge game with some kind of gameplay I've enjoyed so far.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 8, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PC98 versions on Neko Project II are the way to go. Most games used OPN or OPNA and sound way better than the quick and dirty OPL2/3 based DOS ports.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 6 of 8, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-01-11, 09:46:

PC98 versions on Neko Project II are the way to go. Most games used OPN or OPNA and sound way better than the quick and dirty OPL2/3 based DOS ports.

I actually like how OPL2 Rusty sounds, I may even prefer it to the PC-98 version. Games that use PMD on IBM imo generally sound good, though others like Farland Story weren't that well converted.

Reply 7 of 8, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zup wrote on 2022-01-11, 09:07:

Knights of Xentar. It's the only eroge game with some kind of gameplay I've enjoyed so far.

Imo there's a number of good ones, most of the ones I know of on PC-98 never got IBM ports though. One I think is pretty cool is called Bomber Quest, it's kind of a Tetris/Maze/RPG hybrid thingy. I made a menu translation for it, with that it is playable and enjoyable but you miss out on the story and such.