VOGONS

First post, by moog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Lin-Lin adapter does not come with any documentation whatsoever except for 3 configs printed out on the back of the box. Pictures available on the Internet are really blurry, so there's not much to get out there. Unfortunately, I don't have my box either, so the following is what I've managed to find out on my own.

So without further ado:

B8-B9 - sets stock FSB to 133MHz
B7-B8 - sets stock FSB to 100MHz

Base voltage: 1.3V
A8-A9 - adds 0.05V
A5-A6 - adds 0.2V
A2-A3 - adds 0.1V
B2-B3 - adds 0.4V
B5-B6 - crashed my motherboard, probably adds 0.8V

So the resulting voltages allow us to:
- put a Tualatin CPU in any motherboard (B8-B9, then A8-A9 + A2-A3)
- put a Coppermine CPU in any motherboard (I'd imagine you'd go for voltages around 1.6-1.75V and maybe 133MHz FSB if the CPU supports it)
- tweak these settings to accomodate our clock speed

Audigy 2 ZS in FreeDOS
LinLin adapter documentation
+ various capacitor list threads

Reply 1 of 17, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe the voltage jumpers are as on some other 370 stuff, where the 5th jumper resets the base voltage to 2V (sort of) and multiplies the jumpers by two so they start going up in 0.1V steps. There's a table here for a slocket:
https://images.anandtech.com/old/CPU/Intel/pe … locket2inst.jpg

Reply 4 of 17, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just can't get my PIII-S 1.4 stable with it on my P2B-S (on an Abit Slotket III)... Someone else here says the board is fine (though I have not seen acceptable qualification of his testing), but while Prime 28 passes fine, Prime 27 has a weird failure state where the tests start "passing" seconds apart after a while. Another weird symptom is strange I/O errors with my Ultra133 TX2... The Korean adapter (bought separately and installed personally) did not work (through no fault of my own - I followed the instructions to a tee... He sent me a newer revision with optional resistors on the back, so I need to get back to him after doing some voltage or resistance tests with it running to see what's going on and reporting to him).

But I'm getting a P3B-F soon (snagged it for $10), so we'll see if the Lin-Lin works well there...

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 5 of 17, by moog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2022-01-11, 19:41:

I just can't get my PIII-S 1.4 stable with it on my P2B-S (on an Abit Slotket III)... Someone else here says the board is fine (though I have not seen acceptable qualification of his testing), but while Prime 28 passes fine, Prime 27 has a weird failure state where the tests start "passing" seconds apart after a while. Another weird symptom is strange I/O errors with my Ultra133 TX2... The Korean adapter (bought separately and installed personally) did not work (through no fault of my own - I followed the instructions to a tee... He sent me a newer revision with optional resistors on the back, so I need to get back to him after doing some voltage or resistance tests with it running to see what's going on and reporting to him).

But I'm getting a P3B-F soon (snagged it for $10), so we'll see if the Lin-Lin works well there...

Mine's also unstable on 133MHz. Tested with Abit VP6 and Epox D3VA. Booting up the Linux kernel can cause panics even before rootfs is mounted. Sometimes it can't even properly read what's on the IDE drive. It's all very weird. I read it's because the voltage is too low, but I've gone from everything from 1.3V to 1.6V and it's generally the most stable, but still unstable, at around 1.5V. It can't even rebuild the kernel without segfaulting at some point.

Edit: I've noticed that it gets more and more unstable to the point the BIOS won't even POST as the temperature increases. The starting point for stability problems seems to be around 55C. It's no surprise now. At 100MHz FSB and 1.45V, my dual Tualatins are at 52C under full load, but at 133MHz FSB they quickly and easily exceed 55C and may even go into 60C, which is already a dangerous temperature for any Pentium 3.

Audigy 2 ZS in FreeDOS

Reply 6 of 17, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
moog wrote on 2022-01-11, 23:08:

Did you rule out capacitors on the motherboard and in the PSU?

I swapped the clockgen on my P2B to an ICS9250CF which gives the fourth bit in the jumper block for 133Mhz... First I thought my IC was counterfeit, but yesterday I installed an authentic one, and the problem persists.

So I also tested a coppermine 133Mhz FSB chip, that one works fine.

Oh well if this doesn't work out with the P3B I think I'll truly ditch it for a KT133A build.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 7 of 17, by moog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2022-01-12, 02:09:
Did you rule out capacitors on the motherboard and in the PSU? […]
Show full quote
moog wrote on 2022-01-11, 23:08:

Did you rule out capacitors on the motherboard and in the PSU?

I swapped the clockgen on my P2B to an ICS9250CF which gives the fourth bit in the jumper block for 133Mhz... First I thought my IC was counterfeit, but yesterday I installed an authentic one, and the problem persists.

So I also tested a coppermine 133Mhz FSB chip, that one works fine.

Oh well if this doesn't work out with the P3B I think I'll truly ditch it for a KT133A build.

Coppermine 133MHz works fine, although, I must admit these CPUs suck for their own reason - not having an IHS makes it really difficult to fit Connectland heatsinks.

Abit VP6 is almost 100% recapped into solid state capacitors. Epox D3VA is left in its vanilla state right now. Both boards have the same problems with Tualatins running at 133MHz.

Audigy 2 ZS in FreeDOS

Reply 8 of 17, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Lin-Lin works on ABIT BE6, but did only post and enter BIOS, nothing else, as the board was not recapped, wont risk frying another ABIT slot mobo mosfets... I think that Lin-Lin should not support any motherboard.. It will depend on the mobo voltage regulator for the CPU mostly, as the Lin-Lin is converter only is not like the PowerLeap where they include mosfets, voltage regulators and other stuff in order to support Tualatin properly..

20200707_031016.jpg
Filename
20200707_031016.jpg
File size
1.85 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20200707_140003.jpg
Filename
20200707_140003.jpg
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Attachments

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 10 of 17, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got my Tualatin CPU and Lin-Lin (never used, in it's original box). Every time I try post the POST card shows either FF or C0. I checked the voltage on the socket 370 VSS and it's showing 1.57v. No matter what jumper settings I use on the Lin-Lin, it always provides 1.57v. There must be something I'm doing wrong? The motherboard is providing the ASUS slotket 1.5v. Maybe I need to increase the voltage on the slotket to get the Lin-Lin to function correctly?

The motherboard is a ASUS P3V4X (VIA chipset, with official 133Mhz FSB support). I plugged a 1.0Ghz 133 into the slotket and it works perfectly.

IMG_4831.JPG
Filename
IMG_4831.JPG
File size
116.65 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 11 of 17, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok so no matter what slotket is plugged into the motherboard, VSS always reads 1.57v. I think maybe it goes to the proper voltage when under load?

So I got the king working by using an Eagle Slotket adapter. The ASUS P3V4X must not like the ASUS S370.

Woohoo! Got a PII 1400 😉

IMG_4834.JPG
Filename
IMG_4834.JPG
File size
531.36 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_4832.JPG
Filename
IMG_4832.JPG
File size
703.43 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 12 of 17, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zuldan wrote on 2024-03-28, 09:56:

Ok so no matter what slotket is plugged into the motherboard, VSS always reads 1.57v. I think maybe it goes to the proper voltage when under load?

There is only one slotket that can transform VCC supply voltage, it is from PowerLeap. All other slotkets and stacked Lin-Lin adapters can only do one thing in that regard: Send a voltage request signal to the Motherboard regulator at computer startup. And then assume the motherboard obeys, and supplies that voltage, if it can.
So a slotket or socket adapter can always pass-through the voltage request signal pre-configured by the CPU on specific CPU-pins, or sometimes it has to option to override this signal. If one is overriding with both the slotket and then with the Lin-lin as well, it gets messy, and there is no reason to ever do that.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 13 of 17, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerwin wrote on 2024-03-28, 17:50:

There is only one slotket that can transform VCC supply voltage, it is from PowerLeap. All other slotkets and stacked Lin-Lin adapters can only do one thing in that regard: Send a voltage request signal to the Motherboard regulator at computer startup. And then assume the motherboard obeys, and supplies that voltage, if it can.
So a slotket or socket adapter can always pass-through the voltage request signal pre-configured by the CPU on specific CPU-pins, or sometimes it has to option to override this signal. If one is overriding with both the slotket and then with the Lin-lin as well, it gets messy, and there is no reason to ever do that.

Thanks gerwin, that makes a lot of sense and explains the constant 1.57v.

Out of curiosity, are you aware of any slot 1 motherboards that can recognize a Tualatin as a PIII at 1.4Ghz in the BIOS post screen?

Reply 16 of 17, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some slotkets have voltage controllers on them... Abit Slotket iii, Upgradeware Slot-T, Asus...

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 17 of 17, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mockingbird wrote on 2024-03-28, 23:50:

Some slotkets have voltage controllers on them... Abit Slotket iii, Upgradeware Slot-T, Asus...

That one is not for VCC.
"The Slot-T, and most good quality slotkets, use TI's SN74TVC16222a 22-bit voltage clamp to protect the processor's low voltage i/o components. This device prevents signal voltages from exceeding the reference voltage, Vref, presented to it's reference transistor."
https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/sl … slotket.164450/

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul