Common searches

Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1420 of 2070, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah ain't that something??? What a rude, course sort of ruffian I am!

IBM x350 quad p3/xeon board:

s-l1600(61).jpg
Filename
s-l1600(61).jpg
File size
245.56 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Intel S4600lh quad xeon e5-4600 v2 family:

s-l1600(61).jpg
Filename
s-l1600(61).jpg
File size
245.56 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Mind you the Intel board really really should be mounted in it's own chassis, being exceptionally non industry standard. (and it's bloody huge). 2 ancillary boards are readily available on eBay (only 1 nos/ob mobo left), a pci-e riser, and a power distribution board, which I bought. The pci-e riser is optional I presume, maybe even the power board, but better safe then sorry. Do I have everything I need? There's also a trusted platform module available, but for now ill presume it's also optional. Ve vill see ...

I have (briefly) corresponded with a guy who posted a video on video, having bought the whole server, s2208lt2hkc4. Getting the kind of help I may need is a little hard. Again we'll see. I'll make it work somehow.

Attachments

• s-l1600(60).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600(60).jpg
    File size
    276.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by chris2021 on 2022-01-11, 06:15. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1421 of 2070, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The IBM board persists in showing itself twice, the 2nd time where it shouldn't be. The Intel board shows up at the end. I tried to fix it, but it won't obey.

Reply 1422 of 2070, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Man, that ibm board is SO CLOSE to being "ATX". It looks like it needs the 12/5 processors. I assume you have the massive memory board?

I got really fortunate with my quad slot-2. They at least pretended to make it atx shaped.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1423 of 2070, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some of the holes may mirror atx. But the dimensions are way bigger.

Memory board? What memory board? Crap now he tells me.

Let me guess, it mounts in the lower left corner?

I will point out the board seems to take a 24 pin atx power connector, similar to my Intel scb2 dual piii (non-xeon) server board.

Reply 1425 of 2070, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The same trap I fel into when I started.

Unless SPECIFICALLY stated it is standard, it's not. Also, It's all just decorative, unless you get the whole system.

And that's how I fell in love with Tyan and Supermicro.

Reply 1426 of 2070, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was under no delusion that either of these boards were standard in any way. Hence the challenge. But personally I prefer an actual intel server board first, followed by ibm. Nothing against other companies. My most modern build has a Supermicro lga2066 board.

A guy was selling non xeon dual piii rigs made by SM last April at the vcfed-e swap meet. I've known him for years. Don't know why I passed on 1 at least. Knowing him he still has them though.

Reply 1427 of 2070, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm actually waiting for a cheap 2011 v3/4 setup to come by. Used prices for anything are nucking futs since the coof has made thing what they are.

I was thinking about a new single socket board. But with the announcement of AMD's new socket with ddr5... now is NOT the time to buy any new setup.

Reply 1428 of 2070, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm often tempted to buy something newer. My current xeon isn't old at least not by my reckoning. It's just not sota. Sure was 4 years ago ... the cpu was in fact pulled from a 6000$ iMac pro.

But newer intel boards and chips certainly are tempting. I'm a fan boy for the time being. I'll hold.off for a good while though. I have yet another build in the works. Not new. But with 4 x 8 core chips, it's nothing to sneeze at. The mobo can also take 1.5tb of ram. Ddr3 though. That's the only downside in my mind.

Reply 1429 of 2070, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've gotten spoiled with my 2011v1 setup, its dual sockets and 128gb of ram. I'm in classes for cybersecurity and having a workstation capable of multiple simultaneous VMs is quite the bragging right. I don't really game too much, which is a waste of the 6900xt I got myself for Christmas. the only downside is the hacked bios I created to enable NVME booting. (pci-e adapter) I can't warm boot the system with win10. 😜

I think 2011v4 will be my last dual cpu system. I've used dual cpu since pentium 4. I loved the prestige of workstation systems. Maybe I'll go single socket threadripper?

Reply 1430 of 2070, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some people would have us believe multiple cpu systems will be phased out. The way I see it the need to make as much processing power as possible fit into a single box isn't going away. But what do I know.

Back when I found I bought my lga2066 mobo, you had to have the c422 chipset to run xeons. X299 was the chipset for i5,i7,i9. Now mobos are somewhat interchangeable as I understand it. The first board I foolishly passed up was an msi x299board, that wouldn't support i9s. About 50$ after the rebate. I was hoping to be outfitted with the best. But i9s were 500$+/-. Wasn't likely to happen. My w-2140b cost around 210$, and not a speed demon (3.2ghz, 8c/16t), it sure beat the price of an i9. Made possible by a nearly half off sale on the SM mobo. And cheap ram. Those were the days (2019). Man I can't wait for this covid nonsense to blow over. And there's a republican back in the WH. There's no mistaking when times are good.

Reply 1431 of 2070, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Setup a temporary PC. Athlon 3000G, 8gb of ram and a R9 Fury Sapphire Nitro on an a-320 Asus board with a Samsung 870 Evo 1tb SSD. It's. . .an abomination, didn't feel like spending the extra $40 on a case, so it's a Dell Dimension 4600.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 1432 of 2070, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the xseries 350 memory boards aren't exactly scarce. Finding 1 at the right price could be a bit challenging. A guy in Israel had 1 with a gig of ram for 35$ shipped. But it sold.

Reply 1433 of 2070, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ODwilly wrote on 2022-01-14, 08:17:

Setup a temporary PC. Athlon 3000G, 8gb of ram and a R9 Fury Sapphire Nitro on an a-320 Asus board with a Samsung 870 Evo 1tb SSD. It's. . .an abomination, didn't feel like spending the extra $40 on a case, so it's a Dell Dimension 4600.

OK, That is a weird PC 🤣, Post photos please 😀

(Normal people ask for nudes we ask for case photos..)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1434 of 2070, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here he goes again... rambling on about stuff that might be gone by the time he gets his ass in gear to buy... (Woulda liked that Ryzen deal though, missed it)

Getting really tempted by local reseller having ThinkStation P300 machines, 16GB, Haswell Xeon, Quadro K2200 ... $399 CDN which is about $315 USD at present... those Haswells are real bruisers, seems like they beat up on the lower half of the Ryzens still. Like 7k assmarks or so.

On the other hand for $400, dealing with multiple sellers and driving all over the place, I could put a Ryzen 3 2200G in a B350 board with 16GB, corsair case, R9 260X and have parts for 2 or 3 A8-A10 APU machines left over.

The tax at the retailer is probably about the same as gas and aggravation to do the other. ... difference seems to be something like 20% faster CPU 20% slower GPU and vice versa. Well plus on the leftovers for second choice, which I'd like less of maybe but it's how I get the GPU and the good case... but then that might build a 3.8 Ghz A10 with an R9-250 which ain't terrible. (Though apart from the Ryzen and board all the rest is about buying two other peoples flaky/glitchy mess and hoping I'm right about what's going on with it, think one has a bad PSU, the other misconfig) Though the buy chain makes me nervous, you lock into your choices by buying one, and then another flakes out, sells, or whatever.

edit: misoverestimation CPU and GPU performance delta might be more like +/- 10%
edit2: damn, don't know my Rs from my elbow, should be R7 260X, R7 250.

Last edited by BitWrangler on 2022-01-31, 19:18. Edited 2 times in total.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1435 of 2070, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would personally grab the Haswell Xeon, I had a 4790k and it was quite the CPU, its still going strong today in my brothers gaming setup and I have a feeling itll out live the motherboard its currently on. Ive used the 2200g and while its a nice SFF CPU its not that powerful nor is its APU that great either, makes for a great media PC and is good for light 1080p gaming but the Xeon should run circles around it.

Reply 1436 of 2070, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I'm sitting on a lot of stuff bought recently. To add to what I've already spoken of already in this thread, I bought 4 Chinese "Machinist" motherboards for 80$. Not each, total. They were new, but 1 had it's memory clamps broken off or most of them. According to Linus these boards have chips from used motherboards, which mean they're not new at all. And they are lga2011-3, Haswell architecture. Now just waiting on a cheap xeon I ordered. This takes ddr3.or ddr4 and I already have some of each.

I can rarely pass up a deal.. I'm that stupid.

I should clarify that the board Linus reviewed was an x79, these are x99. Who knows, who cares.

Reply 1437 of 2070, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Talking of buying skeevy Ali-flimflam stuff that LTT has looked at, I keep thinking about those SODIMM to DIMM adapters, getting a buildup of laptop RAM that I wish I could stick in desktops.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1438 of 2070, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol my stuff came from eBayFlam not AliFlamFlam. And the vendor was even here in New Flamsy. You can't expect the world for 18$ w/shipping. I looked and it may be the memory locks just popped off and could be popped back on.

I only bought 1 item from Ali that I can remember. A salvaged iMac pro xeon back in March 2020. I was afraid the bubble wrap would rupture and release covid gas. Aka Chinese flatulence. And kill me.

Ali has nice BBQ guns (NO not BBQ guns, BB guns). But bb guns are considered FIREARMS here in New Flimflamsy. There isn't an ounce of fun to be had one end of the state to the other. New Flamsy people are so stupid anyone with bbs would either snort them or shove them .. oh never mind.

Last edited by chris2021 on 2022-01-31, 23:14. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1439 of 2070, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2022-01-14, 09:01:
ODwilly wrote on 2022-01-14, 08:17:

OK, That is a weird PC 🤣, Post photos please 😀

(Normal people ask for nudes we ask for case photos..)

Ah man I didn't see this and already decommissioned it, the GPU and single case fans had to work so hard to keep the GPU at 80c I lasted one night of using it. Dont worry the Dimension will get it's own build at some point soon. Iv got a Aptiva SS7 board that needs a home 😉

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1