VOGONS

First post, by gear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

i fail to found what is the last matrox driver for matrox's video card. I only found referencies about Win98. So, what is the last driver and which video card (PCI and AGP) "apply" to this driver for DOS.

Thanks

Reply 3 of 9, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Every Matrox video card runs in DOS. Every graphics card runs in DOS to be precise 😀 With some kind of success.

UniVBE (or Scitech Display Doctor) is a kind of a driver that unifies lots of old SVGA cards and make them to follow the VESA/AF standard as close as possible by converting special acceleration abilities like line drawing or BitBLT operations into native videocard calls.

That's the list of cards from Matrox that are supported:
. Matrox MGA Ultima, MGA Impression Plus, MGA Millennium, MGA Millennium II
. Matrox MGA Mystique, MGA Mystique 220, Productiva G100, Millenium G200

But most (if not all) of DOS games should work with it without UniVBE driver. The difference is in amount of additional video modes or some acceleration functions that cause some speed up, but that's mostly related to the latest DOS videogames.

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 4 of 9, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use a G400Max in dos. sometimes I need to load the VESA TSR driver but thats rare.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 6 of 9, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Once again, what do you mean by "works"?

Here is the table of the DOS games with known 'attitude' to the videocards.
https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/

Obviously, Matrox is not THE BEST choice if you need the videocard that supports (almost) ALL of the DOS games. This requires strict following of all modes. I suppose, you'll have problems with something like Pinball dreams or different DOS demos. But as the average VideoCard for typical late DOS era games it should work.

Otherwise, try something from S3. Personally I chose Trident, it's one of the best AGP cards for that criteria (DOS support).

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 7 of 9, by gear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

first thanks to reply to me, and all my apoligies to respond so lately.

rkurbatov wrote on 2022-01-18, 15:46:

Once again, what do you mean by "works"?

i mean installing a driver and no need to use any "tricks" or suffering of problemes. Like BloodyCactus said

BloodyCactus wrote on 2022-01-17, 13:59:

sometimes I need to load the VESA TSR driver .

for exemple.
The reason why I ask if matrox cards (of any generation) "works" with DOS games is about a "nicer render" probqbly due to a better RAMDAC.

@rkurbatov i hope you are fine.

Reply 8 of 9, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gear wrote on 2022-02-28, 09:08:

@rkurbatov i hope you are fine.

I'm in Lviv, thank you. It's still quite place. Thank you. We'll win.