VOGONS

Reply 840 of 929, by davide.guida@gmail.c

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, here are two tips I would like to give you to fix in next release (I use the 27 version):

1. if I run MODM with a Mod parameter, the mod correcty begins to play, but when I press ESC the program quits without cleaning the screen.
2. when I run MODM without parameters, it will show the hardware present in my PC, with "Press Any Key" message. It could be annoying, can you automatically continue to run with the main screen if I wll not press keys for e.g. 10 seconds?

Good job
D.G.

Reply 842 of 929, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2022-01-11, 14:21:
ltning wrote on 2022-01-10, 14:20:

I have not been able to reproduce with this build, so I think there's definite improvement..? :)

/Eirik

Do you mean it is working ?

It looks like it I tried ~10 times. With the old version, it crashes 9/10 times. With the new version, 0/10. :) .
I will test more tonight, with different memory configuration and such (if I don't fall asleep on the keyboard..).

/Eirik

The Floppy Museum - on a floppy, on a 286: http://floppy.museum
286-24/4MB/ET4kW32/GUS+SBPro2
386DX-40/20MB/CL5434 ISA/GUSExtreme
486BL-100/32MB/ET4kW32p VLB/GUSPnP/AWELegacy

~ love over gold ~

Reply 843 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
davide.guida@gmail.c wrote on 2022-01-11, 13:10:
Hi, here are two tips I would like to give you to fix in next release (I use the 27 version): […]
Show full quote

Hi, here are two tips I would like to give you to fix in next release (I use the 27 version):

1. if I run MODM with a Mod parameter, the mod correcty begins to play, but when I press ESC the program quits without cleaning the screen.
2. when I run MODM without parameters, it will show the hardware present in my PC, with "Press Any Key" message. It could be annoying, can you automatically continue to run with the main screen if I wll not press keys for e.g. 10 seconds?

Good job
D.G.

Hi,

Corrected.

Reply 844 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still working on the "V1.0" version.

I still don't know where I can publish the file for download..

I finalized the File converter, to convert Modules in the internal file format.
.MMM Files loading is of course really faster, the files are generally smaller than the original and I will compile a Mod Master version supporting only this format, for PC With low memory.

Reply 845 of 929, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2022-01-12, 14:48:
Still working on the "V1.0" version. […]
Show full quote

.MMM Files loading is of course really faster, the files are generally smaller than the original and I will compile a Mod Master version supporting only this format, for PC With low memory.

I have server space, network and cpu to spare for long term commitment. DM me.

~ love over gold ~

Reply 846 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FreddyV wrote on 2022-01-12, 14:48:
Still working on the "V1.0" version. […]
Show full quote

Do you want to open source it -> gitlab, github etc.

If not, then you can simply put it here, or spin up your own small website just for glxplayer. You can also put it on one of the scene.org servers. And link to it from pouet.net. After all the player is vaguely demoscene related.

EDIT: here are the rules for uploading to scene.org: https://files.scene.org/faq/#uploading

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 848 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FreddyV wrote on 2022-01-12, 20:34:

Mod Master 2.2 is already on Pouet.net
https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=81850

Perfect. Then going that way with ModMaster XT sounds like the thing to do.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 849 of 929, by davide.guida@gmail.c

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2022-01-12, 14:46:
davide.guida@gmail.c wrote on 2022-01-11, 13:10:
Hi, here are two tips I would like to give you to fix in next release (I use the 27 version): […]
Show full quote

Good job
D.G.

Hi,

Corrected.

when will the fixed version be available for download?
Thanks!

Reply 850 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
davide.guida@gmail.c wrote on 2022-01-13, 15:05:

Thanks!

When it is done 😀

I would like to release it as Rev 1.0, then I need to test it on multiple hardware first to avoid a big bug 😀

Reply 851 of 929, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2022-01-14, 15:15:
davide.guida@gmail.c wrote on 2022-01-13, 15:05:

Thanks!

When it is done :)

I would like to release it as Rev 1.0, then I need to test it on multiple hardware first to avoid a big bug :)

I have four different builds to test on, if you'd like - but no XT :( :
- 286-12, 286-20 (switch crystals) - GUS Classic, SB Pro2, can also test with Adlib card :)
- 386-40 - GUS Extreme (with GF1+ESS1688 chip)
- 486-50 - GUS PnP, Yamaha OPL3-SA, EISA bus
- 486-133 - GUS Classic, SB Pro2 or SB Vibra16 or SB 32 or SB AWE64 - tell me which you want tested

Let me know if you want me to test >0.97 on any of these.

~ love over gold ~

Reply 852 of 929, by davide.guida@gmail.c

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Freddy
here is a screenshot from my Amstrad PC 1640, EGA video card on an Amstrad original Monochrome (Hercules) monitor. The grayed disabled buttons (on the bottom-right) need to be improved since they're totally black.
Os is MS-DOS 5.0. Due to the monitor limits, I cannot apply no MODE BW80 ... Dos Command.
The version is Modmaster XT 2.2 beta 25.

Regards
D.G.

Attachments

Reply 853 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
davide.guida@gmail.c wrote on 2022-01-18, 11:34:
Hi Freddy here is a screenshot from my Amstrad PC 1640, EGA video card on an Amstrad original Monochrome (Hercules) monitor. Th […]
Show full quote

Hi Freddy
here is a screenshot from my Amstrad PC 1640, EGA video card on an Amstrad original Monochrome (Hercules) monitor. The grayed disabled buttons (on the bottom-right) need to be improved since they're totally black.
Os is MS-DOS 5.0. Due to the monitor limits, I cannot apply no MODE BW80 ... Dos Command.
The version is Modmaster XT 2.2 beta 25.

Regards
D.G.

Hi,

Corrected for V1.0

I don't spend lot of time on the monochrome display, so it is still not perfect 😀

Reply 854 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
radiance32 wrote on 2021-12-27, 22:15:
Ok, before I start would you mind answering all of these questions, so I don't end up making something you don't like or need: […]
Show full quote
FreddyV wrote on 2021-12-27, 13:45:
radiance32 wrote on 2021-12-25, 06:12:

PS: I will make up some photoshop mockups during the next few weeks and post them here...
Is there any existing software that has a UI you like that can serve as inspiration ?

Thanks,
There are really few graphical MOD Player on PC 😀

Ok, before I start would you mind answering all of these questions, so I don't end up making something you don't like or need:

1. Do you want a GUI for the file browsing / configuration part of the software, or, a GUI for the player part of the software, or, both ?

2. Since we're dealing with old machines, it's safe to assume there will be people with an 8086 or 286 system,
with a CGA card, or a hercules monochrome card, aswell as people with more modern cards like EGA,
and especially VGA and MCGA.

I could design a black and white only GUI (not greyscale, pure monochrome) for the CGA (640x200 mono) or
the Hercules (720x348 mono) for the CGA and Hercules equipped machines,
and either an EGA color (somehow try to make something nice looking with 640x350 16 colors) or
EGA greyscale (640x350x4bit and use only black, dark grey, light grey and white).

And finally for the VGA cards (640x480 256 colors) I could do the same as for EGA,
either a color UI with 256 colors or a more elaborate greyscale version, or, my preference:
just use the EGA version with 4 colors (black, dark grey, light grey and white)

What do you think about these 3 options ? Shall I design a black and white (CGA/hercules) and
greyscale (EGA/VGA) GUI ? Or, make a separate color version of the GUI for EGA and VGA???

Personally, since you want a lean/mean/efficient GUI, my personal preference would be the first option,
monochrome and greyscale (with 4 colors) only. We could add color in a future version,
as making designs for all these different modes right now is a lot of work and will slow things down considerably.
It's also much more efficient especially for a GUI for the player part to copy 4 bits to a pixel than 8 bits on VGA systems.
(we could use EGA mode on VGA systems, so the VGA card switches to 640x350x4bit and just use
the EGA grayscale UI with the 4 greyscale colors mentioned above)
Please let me know what you want and provide a detailed answer on this question as
it's really important for me to know before I start work on the design.

3. For the file selection / configuration part, Do you want to have windows that can me moved around / minimized / maximimed / resized,
or just a static design (same concept as the text UI of the current versions of Mod Master is).

4. Widgets ! As we will need to add widgets like buttons, scrollbars, textfields etc... Do you want me to design a set of custom widgets,
or do you want to use a specific design that looks like an operating system already out there,
eg, I could make them look like OSF/Motif widgets, Windows 3.11 Widgets, Windows 95 Widgets, etc...
Personally I'd like to design my own set of widgets, but please let me know what you think of this and what you'd like the most.

5. Do you want a menu bar on top (in the file selection / configuration GUI) with the typical File / Edit / View / Help pulldown menus and in the File menu
you'd have New / Open / Preferences / Save Preferences / Quit.
I won't be using those actual menu contents as they aren't correct for the application in question, but I can make a nice pulldown menu system
that we can add the required menu entries to after the design is finished and someone starts writing the code for the GUI.

6. Do you want me to design a logo for the application ? It can be shown either at startup, or, when a user goes to Help -> About,
and a window pops up with the credits (eg your details etc...) and the logo is shown.
I can design it in SVG vector format, so you can use it afterwards in a PDF manual or on your website where people can download the app.

So,
please let me know the answers to these 6 questions, as I can't start before I have your detailed opinion on those...
I would'nt want to put hours and hours of work into something that you won't like...

Cheers,
Radiance

Hi,

Sorry for the late answer 😀

I really would like to stick on CGA / TGA... Maximum for the moment, so 320*200 16 Colors or 640*200 2

Anyway, since some time I wonder how I can improve the TEXT Mode screen, during the replay.
Is it something you can help me with ?

For example, When I display the channels bar, I did not fill the space used by the bar in other modes:

BarDisplay.jpg
Filename
BarDisplay.jpg
File size
108.04 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

In the sample display mode, I don't like anymore the way the playing channel is display and I would like indications about the samples not existing, or samples that could not be loaded.

SampleDisplay.jpg
Filename
SampleDisplay.jpg
File size
140.23 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I would like an optional display of the detailed Sample list, more or less like Cubic Player.

CP in Sample name display:

CPSampleDisplay.jpg
Filename
CPSampleDisplay.jpg
File size
226.52 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

CP in full sample details display:

CPSampleFullDisplay.jpg
Filename
CPSampleFullDisplay.jpg
File size
166.46 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Mod Master 2.3 GFX (VGA) Page:

MM23GFX.jpg
Filename
MM23GFX.jpg
File size
120.35 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 855 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To Add more infos,

Mod Master XT is basezd on Mod Master 2.3, looking like this as it is VGA, 28 Lines :

MM23Text.jpg
Filename
MM23Text.jpg
File size
131.4 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Mod Master "2.4" (Improved 2.3) is like this (80 column):

MM24Samples.jpg
Filename
MM24Samples.jpg
File size
204.02 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
MM24Files.jpg
Filename
MM24Files.jpg
File size
190.2 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 856 of 929, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2022-01-28, 08:38:
To Add more infos, […]
Show full quote

To Add more infos,

Mod Master XT is basezd on Mod Master 2.3, looking like this as it is VGA, 28 Lines :
MM23Text.jpg

MM24Samples.jpg

MM24Files.jpg

Ok, thanks for your replies.

I'm currently 2 days in of a 10 day holiday driving /camping around New Zealand, as it's summer here and very hot! 😀
I'll take a proper look when I'm back in 8-9 days 😀

Thanks for replying to my questions, I was starting to think you weren't really interested in my proposition,
but it's good to see you are interested.

Gimme a while to do some driving, camping and swimming so i can recharge my batteries and get back into my chair in front of a computer monitor when I'm back 😀

Cheers,
Radiance

Check out my new HP 100/200LX Palmtop YouTube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCVChzZ62a-c4MdJWyRwdCQ

Reply 857 of 929, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2022-01-28, 08:38:
To Add more infos, […]
Show full quote

To Add more infos,

MM23Text.jpg

MM24Samples.jpg

MM24Files.jpg

Hey FreddyV,

What do you think about the font to be used for text etc...
Do you have any preference ? Do you want normal PC console font,
or to do want me to make some examples of different fonts,
and, since I haven't programmed and Turbo Pascal since when I was 11 years old or so,
How would you implement a custom font ?
I remember when I was a kid Turbo Pascal allowed me to choose a screen mode (much like quickbacic),
and draw graphical text in arbitrary sizes on the screen easily.

If you were to want to use a custom font in the UI,
How would you implement it, and can you, for example, render any truetype font to a bitmapped font,
and use that in some sort of Turbo Pascal specific font file format so it can draw graphical text with it ?

Cheers,
Radiance

Check out my new HP 100/200LX Palmtop YouTube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCVChzZ62a-c4MdJWyRwdCQ