User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have this sound card:
SC1616

It`s the same model like the sb pro clone from vogons member 'Intel486dx33'
edison gold 16

I have tested this card, FM sound is working, the IDE port has been regierered also by the tool HWinfo610.

But now i want to play some audio streams, from CD-ROM directly. I have installed a Creative 6-speed IDE drive.
On the PCB i can see CD-In headers for Mitsumi, Panasonic and Sony only.
The IDE Audio connector cable is connecting mechanically to the Sony CD-in only. But it's not working.
I think the Pin layout is different between IDE and Sony audio cable.

On a sticker at the back side of IDE drive, there is a symbol of IDE's pin layout:

R- G-G-L

There are also some pin headers directly behind the 3.5mm connectors output (Line-In, Micro and Speaker) .
I've tested to connect at Speaker pin-header , but it is not working either.

I am thinking, that this card is maybe a better Sony/panasonic/Mitsumi card but may not a great card for my IDE drive.... ?!

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 1 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When all the different drives were out, there were CD audio cables available that had all the different connections on one or both ends.

The vogonswiki has a page for the different connectors.
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/CD_audio_connectors

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 9, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for your info.

I have bought this cable.

But i have still problems that i don't hear any sound from a playing audio CD.
Either when it's connected to the Mitsumi CD-In header or the Panasonic header.

About your website you've linked. I am a little confused to be honest.
The cable I've bought, the one end goes to the IDE CDROM.

It's a low height 4-Pin R-G-G-L connector.

Both, the 3-Pin panasonic and the 4-pin Mitsumi are connected to the R-G-L wires.

Looking at the website, for example Mitsumi, there are these wires on the 4-Pin side:
- right channel signal
- right channel return
- left channel signal
- left channel return

No ground?

Looking to all 3 - pin headers , there are:
Texel , Toshiba and NEC.
No Panasonic.

Interesting is that GROUND is on PIN 2 for Texel and NEC , but for Toshiba the GROUND is on Pin 1 .

Attachments

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 3 of 9, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
melbar wrote on 2022-01-15, 14:13:
Looking at the website, for example Mitsumi, there are these wires on the 4-Pin side: - right channel signal - right channel ret […]
Show full quote

Looking at the website, for example Mitsumi, there are these wires on the 4-Pin side:
- right channel signal
- right channel return
- left channel signal
- left channel return

No ground?

The ground is the return path in unbalanced interfaces.
Since your drive doesn't have the balanced output, there's no point in looking at the balanced cable pinout.
Alternatively you can treat the return signals as grounds, and use the cable as is, or shuffle the wires to match your audio card's connector pinout.

Reply 4 of 9, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have seen that i've another system with IDE cdrom and audio cable with mitsumi connector.
With this soundcard (opti 929 chipset), the CD- audio signal is working.

I've installed now this "working" cable to the 486 system with the soundcard i've showed at the beginning of this thread, an ISA soundcard with ES688 chipset.

Again it's not working 🙁

I can see also a lot of capacitors on this board.
Is it may possible that bad capacitors can influence this soundcard in that way, that the audio signal is not working, for example ?
But the card's FM sound in games is working ....

Reply 5 of 9, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you ever consider that the cd audio input might be muted ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 6 of 9, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From my point of view, the only possibility that it's muted , it can be through jumpers.

As you can see the 1st link in this thread, i had shown some pictures of this card some years ago.
The problem is that there are no all jumpers decribed on the backside of this card.

From my point of view, these jumpers are not described:
JP2 , JP6 , JP7 and JP8

Sadly, i've never found any documentation to this card...

Reply 7 of 9, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The jumpers you talk about ...

JP2? can't tell
JP6 selection for IRQ 4 5 10 or 11
JP7 and JP8 selection for DMA channel 3 5 or 7 ( these need to be set to the same number)

have nothing to do with cd audio. I think they are only for the cdrom interface connectors, not cd audio.

This is your card right ? http://dosdays.co.uk/topics/images/ess688opl3.jpg or pretty much identical.... slight bit more info can be found http://dosdays.co.uk/topics/Manufacturers/ess.php

are you using it in dos or windows ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 8 of 9, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, this was my assumption also, that JP 6 ,7 and 8 are for IRQ.... to the CDROM.
But there is also jumper JP, which is pictured at the cards back:
JP3:
IRQ 14 - Primary
IRQ 15 - secondary

Well, i don't care about the CDROM interface on this soundcard, cause i have two IDE port on a controller card.

Yes, the figure you have linked is my model SC1616 rev.1.1

For me it's strange that my Opti929 card is working with the combination: IDE drive - Mitsumi connector
But the SC1616 won't work either to Mitsumi or Panasonic connector...
Actually, i have no idea yet.

I have asked member 'Intel486dx33' here :
( 1995 ) i486DX4-100 “budget Plug-n-Play Win95 build”

He has the same model but called Edison Gold 16.
He hasn't test this card so far.

Edit: No , i'm using pure DOS only - version MS DOS6.22

Reply 9 of 9, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

UPDATE :

Now it's working !!! ESS688 + audio CD in + wavetable

Problem solved. 😀
Only the IDE cd-rom interface, i was not succesful to run, but as I've two IDE ports on the VLB controller card i don't need the IDE cd-rom interface.

At least the Audio -CD in and the wavetable general midi is working now. I've tested cd audio function with CDP-CDPLAYER for DOS, and general midi with the game Day of the Tentacle.

Reason why Audio -CD in was not working before:
The mixer setting was wrong. Only master volume is set to 8. All other parameter were set to 0.

Reason why no MIDI sound has been playing :
I have set the SoftMPU parameter wrong. With the following parameter it is working:

C:\...\SOFTMPU\SOFTMPU.EXE /SB:220 /IRQ:5 /MPU:330 /OUTPUT:SBMIDI

The follwing message when running the TSR:

Sound Blaster (DSP 3.01) detected at port 220 IRQ 5

SB-MIDI mode enabled
MPU-401 interrupts disabled

SoftMPU active at port 330

This is what i don't understand now. General midi sound is now working , but there is this message "MPU-401 interrupts disabled"

??