VOGONS

First post, by bassix6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

Today I bought my first retro gaming rig that I intend to upgrade with some additional retro hardware! I'd love to learn more about the technology concerning retro pc's and was wondering what would be a good starting point. Right now I'm familiar with the general workings of computers and I've watched tons of LGR video's, but that's about it. When I read about voltages, certain connectors and slots I sometimes have the feeling it's over my head.
Do any of you guys have some recommendations to get more familiar with (old) computers and have a better understanding of the technology?

Reply 1 of 9, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Initially it will be over your head, the key is to take small bites, find a topic you want to know more about and read about that subject, ask questions and then go do more research and reading .. then .. buy some parts and jump on in. Youll make mistakes and kill hardware . .we all do but dont let it get to you.

Again . .small steps till you get familiar with the hardware you have.

Others here may have links and resources that they can point you to but Google and Wikipedia are always good starting points, the Vogons wiki is also another great resource for learning.

Vogons Wiki
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-01-15, 16:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I enjoy the 8bit guy and Adrian's digital basement at YouTube, I learned a lot from them. 😀

I am mostly a learning by doing otherwise, so why not get some more computers? 😁

Reply 3 of 9, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joakim wrote on 2022-01-15, 16:07:

I enjoy the 8bit guy and Adrian's digital basement at YouTube, I learned a lot from them. 😀

I am mostly a learning by doing otherwise, so why not get some more computers? 😁

HAHA .. the only problem with getting more is learning to not hoard ...I had to limit my purchases since I dont have more room for another case.

Reply 5 of 9, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bassix6 wrote on 2022-01-15, 16:09:

I'll look him up! Can't wait to start working on my rig, already having a fun time doing research and hunting for parts 😀

The thing youll have to learn fast about buying more parts is to learn the prices you can very easily pay far more for parts than you need to.

Unless its a Voodoo5 5500 which currently sell for obscene amounts.

Reply 6 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking at old reviews of different hardware is also helpful. Google also has a ton of archived magazines from back then as well.

What are the specs of your system? Might help point you towards more relevant reviews and articles.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Phil's Computer Lab has a ton of great retro hardware videos. A few years ago, when I got back into retro PCs, I was able to re-learn much that I had forgotten by watching his stuff.

Also, his website has links to retro drivers, benchmarks, utilities and other useful software.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 8 of 9, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Imho it's best to learn by experience. You only need to know the basics not to break your parts and read up the things you plan to do next.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 9 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Redhill was popular on vogons few years back as it was written "back in the day"
https://www.redhill.net.au/ig.html

But best thing is experience. You say you have some upgrades planned so no doubt you'll start researching best card to suit X and before you know it you'll know alot about what you've just upgraded and it snowballs from there