VOGONS

Riva TNT

Topic actions

First post, by Blitz_25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greets, i got hold of PCI riva TNT that was botched by "oven" accident. Basically previous owner tried to reflow the card but the exeriment went bad as it resulted in one desolderd ram and a moved nv4 chip. I dont know if the chip survived but will try to reball the chip and resolder the ram and bring the card to life as it's PCI card.
In case the chip is dead could i use a donor chip from AGP TNT that i have (i guess it should work)? As there are not many pci riva tnt's left i think it's worth a try.

Reply 3 of 7, by Blitz_25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, thanks The Serepent Rider 😉 , i hope there was no PCB trace damage done by baking the card in an owen as all other components can be trasnplanted from donor AGP cards.
On ebay there are only few PCI riva TNT's available and all are well over 120€ while you can get an AGP version for les then 10€. That's the PCI addition to the price i guess 🙁 so Azarien if you have one of it look after it with care 😀
Even though i have one ovf them already I think it's well worth to try and fix in bring the card back to life. I will proceed with endevour as soon i get BGA soldering balls shiped.

Last edited by Blitz_25 on 2022-01-16, 11:04. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 7, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, there's only one version of Riva TNT. It is always full featured NV4.
PCI cards use some buffer chips or similar for signal voltage conversion, so there is no special PCI version of NV4 either. Transplants should be relatively simple.👍

Btw. 120€ for a PCI TNT is very overpriced. It's probably the lowest current offer on ebay but not many cards will sell for that price and cheaper cards will still regularly appear on the market.

Reply 6 of 7, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Blitz_25 wrote on 2022-01-16, 10:52:

On ebay there are only few PCI riva TNT's available and all are well over 120€ while you can get an AGP version for les then 10€. That's the PCI addition to the price i guess 🙁 so Azarien if you have one of it look after it with care 😀

I did not expect the card could have any significant value... it's in a box together with other "junk" cards, somewhere in the dungeons (basement) of my parents' house. I'll try to find it and see if it still works the next time I'm there.

Reply 7 of 7, by Blitz_25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm scouting ebay daly over a year now and up to date i only found 1 pci TNT for around 40€ that i also bought every other pci example of TNT ot TNT2 that pops every now and then on ebay is priced well above 120€ or even 200€ and for that price it's easyer to find pci Banshee or V3.