VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by A Final Unity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, finally I got through and made also a save. The time I got through the DoxBox was so stable that I could reload and retry so much I wanted without the occurrence of the freeze. Very confusing.

Reply 21 of 23, by Holonet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been having this problem as well and was able to fix it on my machine. The trait which seems to cause it is the rendering method. I had been getting the crash when using ddraw, but with surface, it goes away. Just for edification, I did not notice the problem on the Garidian ship in the beginning, but any warbird or what-have-you. I tested it by deliberately setting a course to Romulan space.

Reply 22 of 23, by MetallicSomber

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had the same problem as a final unity, where I got to that one mission with the outpost you got to attack that solo warbird and it hung up when I destroyed it. and after I shut down dosbox and restarted the program it let me get past it. Any info as to why that happens would be helpful. I have had a strange crash just now that has me concerned. I made it to allonor (or how ever you spell that) the chodak capital planet and I beam down and picard says something then it throws me back into dos box.

It should probably be known that I'm running the game with all the contents of the game in a folder called \DOS\CD, and the game installed at \DOS\STTNG and "Mount d C:\DOS\CD" and "Mount c C:\DOS" and the game runs fine after I changed the path in the game. The game is a bit choppy pops in the sound almost clock work every min but Ive grown use to it be nice to get rid of it though. Other then that I haven't had a problem.

I'm assuming that the numbers such as the sound volume are in Hex format? I read somewhere that the irq should be set at 7? there any truth to this?

I'm also running a modified version of the STTNG.OVL file remade using DOS32a

In the STRING file I'm not sure what the DPixel=OFF, and the UniVESA=OFF are, but everything related to the sound was off before and I changed them to on.

; Star Trek: The Next Generation, IBM Version.
Audio=SBPRO
Port=0x220
IRQ=0x5
DMA=0x1
Video=HI8
Sound=ON
Music=ON
Voices=ON
Movies=ON
Advice=0x0
VolMusic=0x7fff
VolSound=0x7fff
Dialogs=ON
Scale=ON
DPixel=OFF
Path=\STTNG\
CD=.
UniVESA=OFF

(Non related praise mostly directed at the developers of the program)
I must say that other then crusader No regret, I haven't ever had any problems running my old classic games that I have enjoyed through out the history of computers. (oh and a few probs with WC/privateer but thats prob fixed now) Just the fact that I can get this far in this game again after having the cd so long and not being able to do anything with it is a joy. To play these games mainly privateer, I have even purchased older computers in hopes of getting them to run again. Needless to say this is a much better way to solve our weird gaming needs. The fact that this is the first time I have ever felt the need to post is probably a good thing, but the thanks is long over due, but well deserved.

Reply 23 of 23, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
; Star Trek: The Next Generation, IBM Version. Audio=SBPRO Port=0x220 IRQ=0x5 DMA=0x1 Video=HI8 Sound=ON Music=ON Voices=ON Movi […]
Show full quote

; Star Trek: The Next Generation, IBM Version.
Audio=SBPRO
Port=0x220
IRQ=0x5
DMA=0x1
Video=HI8
Sound=ON
Music=ON
Voices=ON
Movies=ON
Advice=0x0
VolMusic=0x7fff
VolSound=0x7fff