VOGONS

First post, by Simmerhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone any experience with using a mixer for your computer collection?

I'm trying to tidy the cave a bit, so I though I'd add one set of speakers to cover 4 computers, including two Roland SoundCanvas modules.

I've been looking at this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/203661746377?_trkpar … 2648a%7Ciid%3A1

and would be happy to get any input if anyone else has had experience with it or similar products.

Simmerhead - Old is gold!

Reply 1 of 10, by jskyboo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Rolls MX42, which looks functionally identical to the one you linked. It worked well but I needed more channels.
I'm currently using a Behringer RX1602 and I really like that it has quick mute buttons so I can toggle the sound sources quickly. What I don't like about it though is the rackmount ears, they can be removed but the sides are open which I wish they weren't.

Reply 2 of 10, by Simmerhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jskyboo wrote on 2022-01-17, 17:02:

I have a Rolls MX42, which looks functionally identical to the one you linked. It worked well but I needed more channels.
I'm currently using a Behringer RX1602 and I really like that it has quick mute buttons so I can toggle the sound sources quickly. What I don't like about it though is the rackmount ears, they can be removed but the sides are open which I wish they weren't.

Thanks!

I like that Behringer. Looks decently sized, but it will be costly to get all those XLR cables and converters from RCA and jack/mini-jack.

Reply 3 of 10, by polpo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use a 6-channel mini mixer and it works and sounds great: https://www.amazon.com/Moukey-MK0149-RD-FR-Ul … /dp/B08BBXK8CY/. This brand also makes 4 and 8 channel versions of this mixer. I'd love something with quick mute buttons but for only $26 the value is pretty incredible. It uses 1/4" stereo TRS jacks which meant I had to get adapters but that wasn't too bad.

IMG_9990.jpg
Filename
IMG_9990.jpg
File size
1.86 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I have the inputs labeled which helps me remember which input is what. I need to update it, as I have a Snark Barker plugged into Input 6 now...

Reply 4 of 10, by Simmerhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
polpo wrote on 2022-01-17, 21:10:

I use a 6-channel mini mixer and it works and sounds great: https://www.amazon.com/Moukey-MK0149-RD-FR-Ul … /dp/B08BBXK8CY/. This brand also makes 4 and 8 channel versions of this mixer. I'd love something with quick mute buttons but for only $26 the value is pretty incredible. It uses 1/4" stereo TRS jacks which meant I had to get adapters but that wasn't too bad.

I have the inputs labeled which helps me remember which input is what. I need to update it, as I have a Snark Barker plugged into Input 6 now...

Cool! That looks ultra compact, and 6 channels would be absolutely perfect!

Reply 6 of 10, by Gonduron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use a Monacor IMG Stageline MMX-30. While this one gives you only 3-inputs, here are some pros of that product that you may want to watch out for while selecting yours:

• Mixes all input channels in stereo
  • Absolutely no audible noise on the outputs
  • High quality power supply, so no loss or distortion of the input signals. You even get a small volume boost when output master is set to full volume.
  • Very solid made case and high quality rotary buttons. This is not common with cheap brands.
  • SCA / chinch connectors. I do not like the 3,5 mm TRS audio jack connectors
  • Status LEDs for all input-channels separately. These light up only if there is some volume on that channel, and LED brightness depends on volume level.
  • Rugged power-on-off rocker switch

Attachments

My "Pixeli": Intel 486DX4-100 -- Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 -- 16 MB -- Diamond Stealth64 S3 Vision868 2 MB VLB -- AWE64 Gold -- Roland LAPC-I and SCC-1 -- Adaptec AVA-2825 -- IBM 1 GB SCSI-2 -- Plextor 8x -- Teac 3,5" + 5,25" -- EIZO S2133

Reply 7 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Simmerhead wrote on 2022-01-17, 21:04:

Thanks!

I like that Behringer. Looks decently sized, but it will be costly to get all those XLR cables and converters from RCA and jack/mini-jack.

What XLR? This thing takes 6.3mm mono jacks. You'll need 3.5mm stereo to 2x 6.3mm mono and RCA to 6.3mm jack cables, but they need not be too pricey - and in any event with lots of cables in close proximity you'll want decent cables to avoid crosstalk.

I have two of these RX1602s (one for MIDI modules etc, one for retro PCs themselves) and can thoroughly recommend them.

Reply 8 of 10, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another Behringer RX1602 fan here for my MIDI modules mixing needs, can't recommend it enough. The mute buttons are awesome!

What I don't like about it though is the rackmount ears, they can be removed but the sides are open which I wish they weren't.

Same here, that was an unpleasant surprise! Ended up building my own minirack for my desk, which had the added benefit of sandwiching my half rack modules between the mixer and the roland a880 midi mixer 😁

rack.jpeg
Filename
rack.jpeg
File size
329.31 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

On the PC side I also have this Behringer xenyx 1002b that I really like as well. I prefer sliders to rotary buttons when possible 😀

Attachments