VOGONS

The Roland Sound Canvas SC-55mkII may be out of tune when powered on without a battery

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This thread is a follow-up on a post I made elsewhere:

Re: Does anyone else have any issues with the "MIDI IN 1" socket on their SC-55mkII?

Kahenraz wrote on 2022-01-17, 23:35:

It seems that there is something else wrong with my SC-55mkII. I knew it sounded strange but now that I have a collection of recordings, I can finally pin it down. It's completely off-pitch! This isn't an issue with just Duke Nukem 3D. The pitch is wrong with anything it plays.

Here are comparisons with my SC-55 (V1.21), SC-55ST and SC-7. The SC-55ST and SC-7 are derived from the mkII and should sound the same but instead they sound much closer to the original SC-55.

Also mentioned in the other thread was the discovery of damage to traces on the board. This damage appeared unrelated and did not affect functionality that I could tell; I only use a limited subset of the device to play music from video games.

After my repair I found that it continued to play out of tune. While troubleshooting this I discovered it to be some kind of a bug with this particular board or firmware revision. I remove the coin cell batteries in all of my synthesizers to avoid any chance of corrosion and this was an unexpected side effect.

For this unit, power cycling without a battery will cause the synthesizer to be out of tune. Manually resetting the device using the buttons on the front panel after powering it on will fix this problem but it will detune again after the next power reset. Keeping a coin cell battery installed will retain the correct tuning between power cycles. A front panel reset must be done after installing a new battery; simply installing a battery will not fix the problem.

It's interesting that retuning the device is successful only by the front panel. Sending a GS/GM reset SysEx command will NOT fix the tuning problem.

My mainboard revision is 7543605000 and the ROM firmware is version 1.00. I've included photos of these as well.

See attached for some example recordings.

IMG_20220118_161730_resize_53.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220118_161730_resize_53.jpg
File size
138.26 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20220118_161750_resize_15.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220118_161750_resize_15.jpg
File size
276.97 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Attachments

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2022-01-18, 21:29. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have not heard of this before
I owned two MK2s both without batteries and never had this
the one I still have does not exhibit this

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 6, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you confirm the firmware revision? And if it's identical, would you mind checking inside for a different board revision or chips?

My board also has a couple of factory bodge wires. Does yours have these?

I've added some photos of the other major chips here as well for reference.

IMG_20220118_162744_resize_81.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220118_162744_resize_81.jpg
File size
775.83 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20220118_162724_resize_6.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220118_162724_resize_6.jpg
File size
593.99 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 3 of 6, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When after replacing the battery, I found that the unit defaults to an oddball instrument configuration. To clarify, this state only occurs between the new battery being installed and prior to the device being reset. After the battery is installed and the device is reset, the instruments are correct.

Also of note, the only way to fix this is to reset the device from the front panel. Sending a GS/GM reset SysEx via MIDI file will not correct the instrument layout.

Here are some recordings of this strange instrument arrangement, just for fun.

Attachments

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2022-01-18, 22:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah there is something wrong with the unit this is not a case of battery present or not or fw/chip versions
maybe some trace or something is still damaged?
what happens if you play the built-in demo songs without the unit being connected to anything other than power + speakers? do they sound bad too?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 6, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've clarified by previous post. The strange instrument layout only occurs between the point at which a new battery has been inserted and prior to the device being reset. This is not something that persists after the device has been powered off.

Have you ever tried playing music on your device after installing a new battery?