VOGONS

Reply 60 of 143, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Supply and demand. At some point a specific item were extremely common and thought of as trash. Those who get into the game early, get the best prices.

Yes. Amiga's are not cheap any more. And that is happening to C64's as well. Voodoo cards, ISA sound cards, external MIDI modules, 286 to Pentium3 and even Pentium4 these days. Are all becoming eighter extremely rare on the market or the demand are still higher than the actual numbers on the market. I have seen Amiga1200's go up by 150% to 200% during the pandemic. Like 540 Euro for a cosmetic good example though pure stock and Kickstart 3.0 and not recapped. Then comes the accelerators. Blizzard-030 ones with 16/32mb Ram for as high as 604 Euro a pop. Good thing we have TF-1230 and Tsunami-1230 these days. They are like 1/3 of that price or something for a brand new and not 30 years old. But yeah, back in 2004/2005 you were able to find an Amiga1200 with accelerator and PCMCIA-SCSI controller for around 34 to 54 Euro if you wanted to pick it up. Back then they were considered trash, and if not sold for low price, they would be thrown out and recycled. That lowered the numbers even more. Not to speak of gold scrappers, that destroyed all them Pentium-Pro CPU's, because of the gold content. That drove the prices up for everyone. Both collectors and gold scrappers.

Hence supply and demand, drives prices up. And yes, you can always spot those that find something old, and think that it is worth tons of money.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 61 of 143, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote on 2022-01-19, 11:33:

Supply and demand. ....
...Hence supply and demand, drives prices up. And yes, you can always spot those that find something old, and think that it is worth tons of money.

Yep... Sad but true.

Reply 62 of 143, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Regarding the supply on the market. Some 3 to 5 years ago, you were able to find Voodoo cards and AWE64 Gold cards locally from time to time. They were some times cheap and there would be at least 2 for sale each month. Now I have not seen any AWE64-Gold for sale locally the last year or so. There were one V1 card the last year or so. They have begone to evolve into unobtainium.

Reply 63 of 143, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote on 2022-01-19, 11:48:

Regarding the supply on the market. Some 3 to 5 years ago, you were able to find Voodoo cards and AWE64 Gold cards locally from time to time. They were some times cheap and there would be at least 2 for sale each month. Now I have not seen any AWE64-Gold for sale locally the last year or so. There were one V1 card the last year or so. They have begone to evolve into unobtainium.

So, you say now it's a good time to start collecting USB flash cards? 😁

Reply 64 of 143, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-01-19, 11:43:

Supply and demand. ....
...Hence supply and demand, drives prices up. And yes, you can always spot those that find something old, and think that it is worth tons of money.

Yep... Sad but true.

Speaking of pricing.....
The last two good deal that I got on Amiga's, were on my recent purchase of an Amiga500 and then the Amiga1200 that I bought in 2021. They were both fix-em'up deals. Well, the 500 were sold as working, but the low price were an indication of something needed to be fixed. So that cost me some extra money in terms of I had to use parts that I had bought previously.

The 1200 on the other hand. I was actually contacted by the seller, asking me if I wanted to make a so called gentlemans deal. The terms of the sale were that I were send the machine, and then I had to check it through to see what needed to be fixed and if it would boot at all. Then contact the seller back and just pay whatever I wanted for it. It had been stored in a disassembled state in the bottom of bedroom cabinet for the last +15 years. I was allowed to check it through and then pay whatever I found reasonable. Some people would suggest that I should have kept it and said that it was worthless, but I am not that kind of person. A price have to be fair. At that time, a mint condition 1200 would go for around 450 to 470 Euro.

It was in a sorry state. It needed a full recap at 93 Euro, new membrane at 34 Euro, a new floppy drive at 54 euro and finally the case need to be replaced and those cost some 94 Euro. I paid the seller a total of 201 Euro for the machine. Because why keep it and lie that it was not working and needed to be thrown out. That would make me kind of the same person, as those that scalp the market.

Last edited by brostenen on 2022-01-19, 12:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 65 of 143, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-01-19, 12:01:
brostenen wrote on 2022-01-19, 11:48:

So, you say now it's a good time to start collecting USB flash cards? 😁

More like socket 775 single core Pentium4 class stuff. That stuff is beginning to go into demand, because people who used it in their teenage years, now have a good job and income to experience their childhood and teenage years as a nostalgia trip.

Reply 66 of 143, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-01-18, 19:53:

By the way, guys, any ideas why Iomega ZIP 100 external drives cost so much?

There are tons of them, they are very problematic ("click of death" issue) ... And still, someone continue to buy them for very high prices.

WHY???

Many use them to transfer files to their old computers. I'm not implying that this is the main reason but it certainly is one of the reasons.

Reply 67 of 143, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote on 2022-01-19, 12:09:
Speaking of pricing..... The last two good deal that I got on Amiga's, were on my recent purchase of an Amiga500 and then the Am […]
Show full quote

Supply and demand. ....

Yep... Sad but true.

Speaking of pricing.....
The last two good deal that I got on Amiga's, were on my recent purchase of an Amiga500 and then the Amiga1200 that I bought in 2021. They were both fix-em'up deals. Well, the 500 were sold as working, but the low price were an indication of something needed to be fixed. So that cost me some extra money in terms of I had to use parts that I had bought previously.

The 1200 on the other hand. I was actually contacted by the seller, asking me if I wanted to make a so called gentlemans deal. The terms of the sale were that I were send the machine, and then I had to check it through to see what needed to be fixed and if it would boot at all. It had been stored in a disassembled state in the bottom of bedroom cabinet for the last +15 years. I was allowed to check it through and then pay whatever I found reasonable. Some people would suggest that I should have kept it and said that it was worthless, but I am not that kind of person. A price have to be fair. At that time, a mint condition 1200 would go for around 450 to 470 Euro.

It was in a sorry state. It needed a full recap at 93 Euro, new membrane at 34 Euro, a new floppy drive at 54 euro and finally the case need to be replaced and those cost some 94 Euro. I paid the seller a total of 201 Euro for the machine. Because why keep it and lie that it was not working and needed to be thrown out. That would make me kind of the same person, as those that scalp the market.

I got given a fully kitted out Amiga 1200 from a friend, it had been put into storage in mint condition by his father, his father sadly passed away a couple of years back and they gave me the 1200 and all his other amiga stuff for free, including an original Commodore 1940 CRT and SCSI cdrom unit simply because no one in the family knew what to do with it. (This was before prices went stupid on Amiga parts, but having now seen the prices I am forever grateful they gave it to me)

Sitting on close to 5000 floppies that are still in their mass storage boxes, no idea what on them as its far to many to go through and certainly too many to subject a 1200 floppy drive too, the CDs I got were more useful, the entire Fish disk collection which I spent several months going through and having a blast.

The HDDs in the 1200 were full of games ..fucking Mega ball AGA was on there ...so much fun and that music is just amazing.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-01-19, 12:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 68 of 143, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-19, 12:13:
I got given a fully kitted out Amiga 1200 from a friend, it had been put into storage in mint condition by his father, his fathe […]
Show full quote
Speaking of pricing..... The last two good deal that I got on Amiga's, were on my recent purchase of an Amiga500 and then the Am […]
Show full quote

Yep... Sad but true.

Speaking of pricing.....

The 1200 on the other hand. I was actually contacted by the seller, asking me if I wanted to make a so called gentlemans deal. The terms of the sale were that I were send the machine, and then I had to check it through to see what needed to be fixed and if it would boot at all. It had been stored in a disassembled state in the bottom of bedroom cabinet for the last +15 years. I was allowed to check it through and then pay whatever I found reasonable. Some people would suggest that I should have kept it and said that it was worthless, but I am not that kind of person. A price have to be fair. At that time, a mint condition 1200 would go for around 450 to 470 Euro.

I got given a fully kitted out Amiga 1200 from a friend, it had been put into storage in mint condition by his father, his father sadly passed away a couple of years back and they gave me the 1200 and all his other amiga stuff for free, including an original Commodore 1940 CRT and SCSI cdrom unit simply because no one in the family knew what to do with it.

Sitting on close to 5000 floppies that are still in their mass storage boxes, no idea what on them as its far to many to go through and certainly too many to subject a 1200 floppy drive too, the CDs I got were more useful, the entire Fish disk collection which I spent several months going through and having a blast.

The HDDs in the 1200 were full of games ..fucking Mega ball AGA was on there ...so much fun and that music is just amazing.

That is actually another way of getting stuff for the collection at a low price. Some times for free. And congrats with your 1200 😀 As they say. One man's trash, another man's treasure.

Reply 69 of 143, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote on 2022-01-19, 12:17:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-19, 12:13:
I got given a fully kitted out Amiga 1200 from a friend, it had been put into storage in mint condition by his father, his fathe […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Speaking of pricing.....

I got given a fully kitted out Amiga 1200 from a friend, it had been put into storage in mint condition by his father, his father sadly passed away a couple of years back and they gave me the 1200 and all his other amiga stuff for free, including an original Commodore 1940 CRT and SCSI cdrom unit simply because no one in the family knew what to do with it.

That is actually another way of getting stuff for the collection at a low price. Some times for free. And congrats with your 1200 😀 As they say. One man's trash, another man's treasure.

Now if I could only find Amiga mice not in a trashed to hell condition, seems the Amiga mice were not well built or perhaps they just took a lot of abuse to break.

Reply 70 of 143, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote on 2022-01-19, 12:12:
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-01-18, 19:53:

By the way, guys, any ideas why Iomega ZIP 100 external drives cost so much?

There are tons of them, they are very problematic ("click of death" issue) ... And still, someone continue to buy them for very high prices.

WHY???

Many use them to transfer files to their old computers. I'm not implying that this is the main reason but it certainly is one of the reasons.

I talked with someone years ago, that were working as an IT consultant and supporter of hospital equipment. He said that there are an extreme high demand for certain pieces of hardware. Like if you have a scanner of some sort on a hospital, and a part dies and need replacement. Then you need to find that exact same piece of hardware. The reason is that it was approved for hospital use at some point, and the process of getting a new machine aproved is extreme. And insanely expensive. So you can not just go out and buy a generic ET4000 PCI card for that ultrasonic scanner that are used to check up on a pregnancy. No. You need that specific model of the card. And that is why some pieces of hardware just go up in price, as they fail and fail. Just the price on time you spend on hunting down that hardware are a factor as well.

And in some places, old drives are used as well. Like you can not just go and replace the drives with something like Gotek or other solutions. No. You need those specific drives and storage disks.

Reply 71 of 143, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-19, 12:19:

Now if I could only find Amiga mice not in a trashed to hell condition, seems the Amiga mice were not well built or perhaps they just took a lot of abuse to break.

There are Ps/2 and USB converters and if the cable and casing of your Amiga Tank mouse are still useable, you can buy laser upgrade's.

Reply 72 of 143, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Supply and demand. ....

Yep... Sad but true.

Speaking of pricing.....
The last two good deal that I got ...

Speaking of pricing ...

The cheapest stuff that I've got on the Internet was a Digispeech Portable Sound Plus LPT Soundblaster compatible soundcard. I've purchased it few months ago complete in a box for 0,01 USD (not including shipping). Also I was gifted by some seller on the eBay with bunch of HP200LX accessories.

Reply 73 of 143, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sitting here wondering if 170 USD is too much for a rare PCI version of a Voodoo Banshee, only ever seen one PCI PC version of it before this one.

I would love to have it for a socket 7 build since it would scream on such a system.

I guess this here is what this thread is all about isn't it.

Reply 74 of 143, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-19, 12:45:

Sitting here wondering if 170 USD is too much for a rare PCI version of a Voodoo Banshee, only ever seen one PCI PC version of it before this one.

I would love to have it for a socket 7 build since it would scream on such a system.

Nothing is too much. If you can afford it, think about it as giving a great gift to the dearest person in your life ... yourself 😉

Reply 75 of 143, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-01-19, 12:49:

Nothing is too much. If you can afford it, think about it as giving a great gift to the dearest person in your life ... yourself 😉

ehhhh I could pay peanuts for an AGP 1x version too ...since ya know all Banshees are PCI66 disguised as an AGP card.

Reply 76 of 143, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-19, 12:57:

ehhhh I could pay peanuts for an AGP 1x version too ...since ya know all Banshees are PCI66 disguised as an AGP card.

Then buy them both ! 😃

Reply 77 of 143, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-01-19, 12:59:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-19, 12:57:

Then buy them both ! 😃

Just gonna grab a AGP one .. I just saw the shipping on teh PCI one ...its nearly 100 USD to ship it and 170 to buy it ...WTF on that shipping.

Reply 78 of 143, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-19, 13:04:

Just gonna grab a AGP one .. I just saw the shipping on teh PCI one ...its nearly 100 USD to ship it and 170 to buy it ...WTF on that shipping.

100 USD for shipping? 😮 Where do you live? On the Moon?

Reply 79 of 143, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-01-19, 13:08:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-19, 13:04:

100 USD for shipping? 😮 Where do you live? On the Moon?

Australia so pretty dang close to the moon.

Normally US shipping is fairly cheap but some sellers just set stupidly high shipping costs to make the selling price look better, they actuall make part of the sale from the high shipping. Its a shitty thing to do as a seller as some people dont bother looking at shipping before hitting the buy button.

I would expect this card to cost perhaps 25 - 30 USD to ship to Australia.