VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MS buying Activision / Blizzard - still to be approved though
https://www.techradar.com/news/live/live-micr … ivison-blizzard

I personally am not a fan of gamepass or gaming as a service although I see how it suits others.
I don't want to have to pay a subscription whenever I want to access my games.. how will you pick it back up in say 5 years time?

Not that this studio had created something worth playing in a while but.. MS seems to be forcing themselves as the Netflix of gaming 🙁

Reply 1 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They couldn't make Blizzard any worse.

I don't use or have any interest in gaming subscriptions but have no issue with them as long as they don't affect non-subscriptions.

Unsure if gamepass games use UWP or not or a combination of UWP and Win32. I know some games have been cracked and I want to say those UWP games are tied to at least a minimum of whatever build of Windows they were released on (possibly untrue but I don't care for UWP games so don't have any), if someone wanted to they could probably subscribe and crack the game and then end the subscription but likely only legal owners who care would go to that length. Most legal and non-legal would just download the torrent of an older version of the game since AFAIK the UWP vers don't get much attention.

Hopefully the NetFlix of gaming (streaming) by the idiots subscribing to it will fund the non-streaming but more than likely the devs will give up supporting the compatibility issues of supporting non-streaming. Why spent most of your time developing for issues of a bunch of different hardware and offline situations when you have could just code content for your game? Also you can't monitor what you can't see. That'll likely be what does it for the most part. There will always be a niche though but hopefully the games you like will be in that niche, if not backlog it is. Currently non-streaming far outnumbers streaming in gaming so we have that going for us.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 9, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, MS bought inXile and Obsidian too and It bothered me far more than ActiBlizz. Those two made games I actually care about and inXile made native linux ports to their games which will probably not be the case for their future releases.

They can do anything they want with ActiBlizz. They didn't release anything I was interested in since 2009 (except Spyro: Reignited and Sekiro, sort of).

Edit:
Though it's an interesting thought that the thing that keeps a lot of users locked into Windows is purely gaming and game streaming completely eliminates the issues left with gaming on non-MS platforms. It'd be fun to see them losing a good chunk of home user market share as game streaming grows.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Theoretically ,it may help the legal limbo hurdle between Heretic II and Wolfenstein 2009 digital rereleases.....if there's anything positive about this.

https://hard-drive.net/heres-all-the-newest-w … ass-this-month/

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 9, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have so many games I have to play or finish so even if Blizzard never makes any new game I don't bother.

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 5 of 9, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As a retro gamer this means exactly nothing to me. We live in a world where Microsoft is evil but because of Internet Exploiter and Blizzard was still cool, and Diablo2 was possibly the best game ever made.

Reply 6 of 9, by Claris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see this as a good thing. MS will more then likely eventually clean house of Activison higher ups due to all the scandals that have been going on. Hopefully this means some eventual improvements to games like COD Warzone and OW2.

Reply 7 of 9, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2022-01-18, 18:58:
They couldn't make Blizzard any worse. […]
Show full quote

They couldn't make Blizzard any worse.

I don't use or have any interest in gaming subscriptions but have no issue with them as long as they don't affect non-subscriptions.

Unsure if gamepass games use UWP or not or a combination of UWP and Win32. I know some games have been cracked and I want to say those UWP games are tied to at least a minimum of whatever build of Windows they were released on (possibly untrue but I don't care for UWP games so don't have any), if someone wanted to they could probably subscribe and crack the game and then end the subscription but likely only legal owners who care would go to that length. Most legal and non-legal would just download the torrent of an older version of the game since AFAIK the UWP vers don't get much attention.

Hopefully the NetFlix of gaming (streaming) by the idiots subscribing to it will fund the non-streaming but more than likely the devs will give up supporting the compatibility issues of supporting non-streaming. Why spent most of your time developing for issues of a bunch of different hardware and offline situations when you have could just code content for your game? Also you can't monitor what you can't see. That'll likely be what does it for the most part. There will always be a niche though but hopefully the games you like will be in that niche, if not backlog it is. Currently non-streaming far outnumbers streaming in gaming so we have that going for us.

Agreed, in the short term this streaming and gamepass stuff may not affect buyers and workarounds hopefully will be available.
Just concerned at the speed gamepass is taking off and how Sony, Steam etc will feel they have to react.

And thanks for the info on how to run games DRM games offline, something I need to go through with my backlog

Yeah I understand all the comments, I don't care for modern Blizzard and Activision titles but as a strategy for income denial away from Sony/Steam/Nintendo/CD Projekt - it's a painful move potentially... but hey M$ know how to screw up best 🤣

Reply 9 of 9, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Claris wrote on 2022-01-19, 01:24:

I see this as a good thing. MS will more then likely eventually clean house of Activison higher ups due to all the scandals that have been going on. Hopefully this means some eventual improvements to games like COD Warzone and OW2.

i see it more as them consolidating against Sony/PlayStation and Apple

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB