VOGONS

First post, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up a 600x off a user in France that came with a bunch of accessories and in full working condition aside from the French keyboard. I then found a 600x in even better cosmetic condition but with a dead CMOS battery off eBay with a USA keyboard - here thinking I'd have a suitable keyboard and spare parts for future.

However, swapping the keyboards brings me an FRU 58 301 error and I'm unable to boot into BIOS by holding down the F1 key. I was careful and checked both cables to make sure they were intact and attached properly. I put back the original French keyboard and the unit works - is there anything else I'm missing or is my USA keyboard just funky?

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build

Reply 1 of 4, by mustagcoupe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

301 Keyboard did not respond to software reset correctly or a stuck key failure was detected. If a stuck key was detected, the scan code for the key is displayed (as "301 xx" or "xx-0301"). If this information is correct you have a problem with the 58th key on the keyboard. boot the laptop up and open notepad or word and test all the keys. see what its doing.

Reply 2 of 4, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problem with my 58-301 error is that the system prevents you from booting any further. I can’t even enter the BIOS…but I guess a thorough cleaning and disassembly of the keyboard may fix the issue. I’ll report back…

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build

Reply 3 of 4, by mustagcoupe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does the usa unit power on. Can you stick the french keyboard into it to make sure its not some kind of bios issue. Unlikely but you never know. If the french keyboard works in the usa laptop you know for sure the keyboard is broken. If you can find a key position chart and find the location of key 58 you know exactly where to look.

Reply 4 of 4, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know these. 600, 600E and 600X.

Keyboard is the worst part to disconnect and connect during work on these. Second, these keyboard is not repairable due to plastic melted rivets.

All these keyboard from these three models exchanges.

PS: regarding 600; if you wanted pentium mmx in place of PII, you need correct motherboard too and for speed type, MMC 233MHz module only since I have tried 266 module and 600's firmware will not take it. I found this all that out.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.