VOGONS

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 89, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I seem to remember some weird paddle-blade cooler that might have been for that area of the case (or maybe it was for a front bay!?) If you really feel the need just use a couple more of those slot coolers screwed thru the vent holes / back plates with some self-tappers (of course, you'll need to remove the back plate angle piece first). Noise-wise you may want to run them at 5 / 7 V.

Reply 81 of 89, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-10-31, 21:59:

I seem to remember some weird paddle-blade cooler that might have been for that area of the case (or maybe it was for a front bay!?) If you really feel the need just use a couple more of those slot coolers screwed thru the vent holes / back plates with some self-tappers (of course, you'll need to remove the back plate angle piece first). Noise-wise you may want to run them at 5 / 7 V.

Definitely keeping an eye out but am thinking if they were ever produced they’ve been buried under the weight of post-2000s internet content. That’s a good idea about using more of the StarTech expansion slot fans, it’s hard to say just how much air they move though.

Reply 82 of 89, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And the near completed build is ready. Excuse the poor lighting and lack of a case badge or stickers, I’m still waiting on them to arrive.

Overall, I’m really happy with it - and my first vintage / retro rebuild, though it wasn’t cheap. It’s quirky and unconventional even for its time and that’s one of the reasons I was drawn to a dual Deschutes / 440LX build over a dual 440BX build - it’s at that weird short-lived period of tech that was largely forgotten for its more famous successor.

Despite the headaches of potentially failing drives (I’ve had two SCSI units turn up DOA), I cannot bring myself to replacing a spinning disk (at least for this build, the Abit ST6 ‘ghost’ Tualatin build I need to start on next will likely have a PCI SATA + SSD) with either a CF card, PATA / IDE SSD or SATA SSD with whatever number and type of converters - I have most of the Sinloon, Ableconn and StarTech adapters for testing already. Blech, they’re inelegant.

I also have a Cyrix 5x86 100-GP build to look at in future as well. But for now, I think it’s time to finish benchmarking and start playing some games!

Attachments

Last edited by pixelatedscraps on 2021-10-31, 23:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 85 of 89, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It’s not an exhaust but it is circulating air and some of it may get sucked into the StarTech PCI slot exhaust after all.

For anyone interested, you can find these multi-angle Titan PCI slot fans on Amazon or eBay quite easily. They will definitely circulate air over at least 2-3 cards and help keep air circulating in those airflow starved old 90s cases.

They’re a bit fiddly however, and I’m now waiting on a slim 92mm Noctua A9x15 to arrive to put the final, finishing touch to this build.

Attachments

Last edited by pixelatedscraps on 2021-11-18, 01:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 87 of 89, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That fan bracket looks massively over engineered, but cool!
I went for the Zalman BR123 myself, not nearly as impressive.
https://www.quietpc.com/br123ff1

or simply bending a I/O cover and mounting a fan on it is the period correct way 😉

As you say not many LX builds exist, really why would you? but same can be said for a dual slot 1 build in general.
indeed a nice interesting build you have

Reply 88 of 89, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2021-11-19, 16:22:
That fan bracket looks massively over engineered, but cool! I went for the Zalman BR123 myself, not nearly as impressive. https: […]
Show full quote

That fan bracket looks massively over engineered, but cool!
I went for the Zalman BR123 myself, not nearly as impressive.
https://www.quietpc.com/br123ff1

or simply bending a I/O cover and mounting a fan on it is the period correct way 😉

As you say not many LX builds exist, really why would you? but same can be said for a dual slot 1 build in general.
indeed a nice interesting build you have

Ach, this is late but never too late, right? The BR123 is great as well, not quite as adjustable but definitely worth keeping in the parts bin.

Reply 89 of 89, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure we are the ones to comment on lateness, messing around with hardware past it's prime 😉