VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by 2sekunds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dracolich wrote on 2021-11-20, 23:53:

I remember spending a long time (few years actually) on-and-off searching for the Windows version of the Dilbert Afterdark screensaver by Delrina. I came across the Mac version easily enough, and that was nice for my System 7.6 VM in SheepShaver, but the Windows version was extremely elusive. I think I finally found it on one of those personal ftp's. Lol As the OP says, the chase is part of the fun. In my various searches for games and some office software I hit REMOVED pretty hard.
One thing I haven't found yet is .ima floppy images of the 1993 version of Stronghold by SSI. A .zip of the preinstalled game is easy enough to find, but not images of the original floppies. For me part of the fun is installing the games with their original installer programs 😀
Another thing that seems to have disappeared is the Second Nature Slideshow screensaver collections. That's my favorite wallpaper program for Windows 3.x. I still have my disks for the sets I bought back in the day. But nowadays, besides the sampler set, I rarely find any on the archive sites. I always wanted the Applejack Wolf Family set but haven't found it.

I too have been searching the internet for Second Nature screensavers. In around 1994 my brother bought me a Second Nature screensaver collection that was space art. It was beautiful. I had Win 3.1 at the time. A few years later I found Second Nature was still making screen savers and I was able to update my version to run on Windows XP. However about 10 years ago I moved to the UK and couldn't take much with me and I have lost my original disk(s) for that Second Nature collection and now that I have purchased a very nice retro P-III (3Dfx Voodoo 3 included!) I am trying so hard to find that collection again but only a few Second Nature collections are out there that I can find.... Anyone seen the space art one?

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-05-07, 22:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 28, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had so many hunts for crap for these old machines.....it seems I perpetually have them....

I think my longest chase yet has been that isometric house-builder program for DOS or Windows 3.1 I remember a friend having on his gateway 2000 as a kid circa 1993. It was very cartooney and not meant as a serious CAD program like say, 3D Home Architect.

For the longest time I chased Maxit.bas and Depthchg.bas - two BASIC games my sister had on her 386 that I freakin' loved, then they turned up on some of the BBS archives on cd.textfiles.com. Now they're a permanant fixture on most of my machines, generally favoring them on the 286 and Tandy since they look/run the best on those. Maxit was a game where you navigated a grid of numbers, "grabbing" them for a score, and whoever got the highest score wins. Depthchg.bas was DepthCharge by Henry J. Kotler, which looked like WordPerfect 5.1 creating a submarine-fight out of ASCII characters. Possibly one of the most underrated simple games for DOS ever.

A lot of the chase was getting AAA titles I already owned. I remember spending 2 hours on 56K dial-up getting Ultima VI over an AOL connection from a russian site because Disk4 died. Luckily I found the Ultima collection on CD at a pawn shop later (same version I'm still using today). Then there was getting my hands on Freddy Pharkas, and all that I could find was the Talkie on ISO format (I had the non-talkie) after 3 disks went bad. I pretty much tied up my 768K DSL for awhile on that one. These were back in the early days of abandonware before ESB protections and before GOG (the Home of the Underdogs days).

Then there was that time I got my hands on a MediaVision ProGraphics 1280 VLB card and chased after the drivers, until a guy from VCFED found them and sent them to me via PM. Turns out the card was bad - sheesh. Actually, Mediavision has been kind of my nemesis when it comes to hardware and drivers in general, I had something from them recently drive me insane trying to find it.

For a long time I also had a DV Capture card for my 486, one of those Packard Bell Reveal jobbies, and for the longest time, there was a Packard Bell fansite that had the drivers. Well....those are long gone now (so is the card). Last time I went looking for them all I could find was drivers for Windows 98.

When I got my NEC Versas...well, you could get the manuals from NEC's support site, but their FTP went down sometime in 2019. Apparently then the FTP was uploaded to 2 places and I spent six months between Vogons, Internet Archive, and elsewhere looking for them, finally to nab the entire 6GB FTP from Archive.org and guard it. I'm actually planning to use my Geocities.ws account to make a large download site for this stuff and actually put it all together correctly and curate it properly.

Shoot, I've still got some edutainment software from my school days I'd love to swipe up, he had some kind of game that I thought was oregon trail, but is not, and I think you could walk around almost FPS style in the old west or something. I wish I could remembe rit. There was also some weird science program, probably an IBM Education thing, that had a bike race in it that everyone wanted to play all the darned time. I just dug up Linkway Live....that was my favorite pixel-art program before "pixel-art" even had a name. I used to design all the school's login screen artwork on that.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 23 of 28, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone have the latest (or later) drivers available from Canopus for the Pure3D Voodoo 6MB? All I have is the original CD, which matches the version found at Vogonsdrivers. I've been looking for who knows how long...

Reply 24 of 28, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That Daleks game (Dr. Who) for Windows 2.x..
Lost it a few years ago, along with my sonic screwdriver..
Can't find it again ever since..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 25 of 28, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2022-01-21, 15:25:

That Daleks game (Dr. Who) for Windows 2.x..
Lost it a few years ago, along with my sonic screwdriver..
Can't find it again ever since..

Itll be where you left the screwdriver !!

Reply 26 of 28, by SimbaSeven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
2sekunds wrote on 2022-01-20, 18:08:

I too have been searching the internet for Second Nature screensavers. In around 1994 my brother bought me a Second Nature screensaver collection that was space art. It was beautiful. I had Win 3.1 at the time. A few years later I found Second Nature was still making screen savers and I was able to update my version to run on Windows XP. However about 10 years ago I moved to the UK and couldn't take much with me and I have lost my original disk(s) for that Second Nature collection and now that I have purchased a very nice retro P-III (3Dfx Voodoo 3 included!) I am trying so hard to find that collection again but only a few Second Nature collections are out there that I can find.... Anyone seen the space art one?

I downloaded the entire archive over a decade ago and threw it on an old Samsung Story 1.5TB drive. I just found it and if anyone is interested, let me know.

Reply 27 of 28, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SimbaSeven wrote on 2024-01-16, 00:52:
2sekunds wrote on 2022-01-20, 18:08:

I downloaded the entire archive over a decade ago and threw it on an old Samsung Story 1.5TB drive. I just found it and if anyone is interested, let me know.

Just upload it on the archive or here. Somebody wanting these may not want to post.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 28 of 28, by darkenedroom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently been looking for version 1.x of the classic Mac flight sim F/A-18 Hornet. There are a lot of different versions that have been released.

It's easy enough the find the classic version (confusing enough listed as v1.1.2 in the game itself) and F/A-18 Hornet 2.0 can be thought of as both a sequel and an upgrade to v1.x (although not an upgrade to the classic version, yes, v confusing). The classic version isn't compatible with the last couple of beta patches for v1.x.

I'm hoping if I can find it I can patch it to the latest patch and create a definitive edition of F/A-18 Hornet v1.1.3b2.