VOGONS

Logitech F310 on Windows 98?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by POPEYE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

don't know about the F310, but I tried the F710 (Wireless) and it didn't work. I am curious myself about the F310; if it indeed does work, I'd buy it for my own Win98 rig.

I also noticed the F710 is available too (with rumble support/wireless), and I wondered if anyone had any experience getting this to work with 98 too?

I tried it again, but the F710 (in Direct Input mode) shows up was Logitech Wireless F710, and windows cant find any drivers for it. I have the Logitech software (4.60 i think) installed, but cant seem to find any drivers for it.

Logitech F710 (at least, the one I bought recently) seems to be buggy for old Windows versions (I tried 98se and 2000), so the receiver ignores the joystick mode switch and works in Xinput mode even when it is in DirecInput. But, after some experiments, I have found the way out: you should not only put the switch on the joystick in DirectInput mode but hold any button on it (for example: "X"), while inserting the receiver into the USB port, then it will work in DirectInput mode until you turn off your PC (works even after restart).

Reply 21 of 31, by Lostmeis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just bought the Logitech F310 controller, when I had initially plugged it into my Windows XP machine, device manager had detected the model of the device but it wouldn't install drivers even when having it briefly connected to the internet. There is a switch on the bottom of the controller labelled X & D. If you're having issues trying to get it to work in Windows XP make sure the controller is in the D position, and you might have to unplug it first put it into the D position then plug it back in, and Windows XP should detect it as a Logitech Dual Action device. I don't have a 98 system to test it on but if you have the controller in the D position you might be able to use some older Logitech game controller drivers and it might work.

Reply 22 of 31, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lostmeis,

Under WinXP, make sure you've installed the XBox 360 controller drivers. You should be able to use the controller in XInput mode with them. You can get them here.
https://archive.org/download/xbox-360-64-eng/ … ox360_32Eng.exe

Also, scroll up:
Re: Logitech F310 on Windows 98?
Re: Logitech F310 on Windows 98?

Also Also, I just took a look at prices on Amazon for various gamepads. Holy crap! Prices have gone crazy! The Buffalo/iBuffalo SNES-style gamepad is now a whopping ~US$60. The other Buffalo/iBuffalo BSGP1601BK gamepad I mentioned previously is going for ~US$50. Fortunately, the F310 is still available for ~US$17. I thought it was a really good gamepad years ago when it was commonly available for around $15. Now I think it's the absolute best gamepad available for the price.

Reply 23 of 31, by murrayman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just wanted to post this for verification. Found that I had to hold the button upon each fresh boot to get the driver to load up right as well, but it works fine otherwise!

Also, if just using the USB HID drivers, rumble won’t work. If you use the Logitech software mentioned earlier in the thread, it’ll work just fine. I’ve tested it with 4.60 and it sees the game pad correctly in DirectInput mode.

https://youtu.be/YJb2uWokFBI

P3B-F 1.04, PIII 1k, 512MB PC133, GF DDR 32MB + DM3DII 12MB SLI, SB0100
P3B-F 1.03, PIII 700, 384MB PC100, V5 AGP, SB0160
CP 5170, PII 350, 256MB PC100, Rage LT 2MB, ESS 1869
PB M S610, PMMX 233, 128MB EDO66, DM3D 4MB, Aztech

Reply 24 of 31, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Logitech F310 and it's predecessor with the same design are my go-to gamepads for Windows/Linux. The F310 has been recently discontinued in favor of it's wireless replacements, so grab one or more, while stock is available.

Reply 25 of 31, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-02-20, 16:02:

The F310 has been recently discontinued in favor of it's wireless replacements, so grab one or more, while stock is available.

Where did you get this info? Logitech's site mentions "sold out temporarily".

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 26 of 31, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was put on clearance in physical retail stores some time ago, before being marked as "no longer available" through website purchases and when I checked with Logitech after finding it to be unavailable for purchase on their website, they said it was being discontinued in favor of the F710. Some retailers have large amounts of them in their warehouses, which is why the price is now so low and other retailers have removed it entirely from their listings.

Reply 27 of 31, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting. I wonder what possible reason could be for making this move now, considering the fact that it's been running in parallel with F710 for over a decade, while the F510 had been discontinued rather quickly.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 28 of 31, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The DAGP, F310, F510, and F710 all use the same parts (same design platform). If I had to say why the F510 went away, it's because Rumble wasn't a feature that people necessarily wanted and the demand for the parts required to implement it is driven by the console control manufacturing, as it is a standard feature in console controllers and games. So, dumping the F510 was good business, as it was more expensive to make than the F310 and likely the F710 as well, if not equivalent in manufacturing cost. Replacing the DAGP with the F310 was just a slightly updated design and coloring switch. Moving from the F310/F510 to the F710 makes some sense because more and more gamers are using laptops, with a dwindling number of USB ports and the keyboard/mouse side of the industry has also moved (almost entirely) to wireless, particularly in Logitech's portfolio, so the discontinuation of the wired products certainly makes sense when you account for that, as the Logitech products share the same wireless hardware in their construction, which means cheaper manufacturing cost from buying in large quantities.

Reply 29 of 31, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting take. I guess it is a plausible theory.

I'm aware that the Logitech F-series are slightly updated versions of the classic Dual Action (F310) / Rumblepad 2 (F510) / Cordless Rumblepad (F710). The new pads even identify as the old ones when in DirectInput mode. In addition to adding XInput support and colored buttons to match the Xbox 360 scheme, Logitech also changed the analog stick sockets from squarish to round, and increased the dead zones. Boy, did the last part get many players upset.

There is actually an older version of the Logitech Dual Action - with a different style d-pad, and no d-pad / left analog switch button (along with a couple of cosmetic differences). You can see both side-by-side here. I wonder if any other Logitech pads had used that d-pad design.

Reply 30 of 31, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have the older Dual action and an F310, and I am really glad I do. They work absolutely great on Windows 9x.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 31 of 31, by Universal_G

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
murrayman wrote on 2022-02-20, 15:52:

Just wanted to post this for verification. Found that I had to hold the button upon each fresh boot to get the driver to load up right as well, but it works fine otherwise!

Also, if just using the USB HID drivers, rumble won’t work. If you use the Logitech software mentioned earlier in the thread, it’ll work just fine. I’ve tested it with 4.60 and it sees the game pad correctly in DirectInput mode.

https://youtu.be/YJb2uWokFBI

I found your video through youtube and came here to check out the thread. Thanks so much for this. No driver needed. You rock!