VOGONS

First post, by Pentium3retro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can anyone help me rid my life of these annoying errors? I'ts happened ever since i installed my PCI ethernet card.

IMG-20220122-012034-704.jpg

IMG-20220122-012041-062.jpg

IMG-20220122-012132-770.jpg

Last time i had to do a reinstall but I can't keep doing that. How do you fix it?

Thank you

Rig: Pentium III 866Mhz / 512MB RAM / 16GB CF Card / Geforce MX 2 64MB / ISA Sound Blaster 16
Toshiba M2: Pentium M 1.8 Ghz / 512MB RAM / 8GB CF Card / Geforce FX Go 5200 64MB
Compaq M700: 750Mhz Pentium III M / 128MB RAM / 4GB CF Card / ATI Rage Mobility

Reply 1 of 5, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What type of NIC is this?

First, uninstall all networking, NIC installed software, and device drivers (verify removal from device manager). Shutdown and remove the PCI ethernet card from your machine. Power on.

All of those errors should then disappear. Remove MSN (Microsoft Network) from your PC, also. Unless you're trying to preserve some kind of nostalgia, it's not doing anything productive for your machine. Let us know when you can boot normally without errors and without networking installed.

Reply 2 of 5, by Pentium3retro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your reply

Might seem a stupid question but how do it remove Microsoft Network? I don't see it in the list of windows components?

Also, If i can I would like to keep the LAN card as we some times have little (non internet facing) LAN gaming sessions.

The card is a Realtek RTL8139/810X series

Rig: Pentium III 866Mhz / 512MB RAM / 16GB CF Card / Geforce MX 2 64MB / ISA Sound Blaster 16
Toshiba M2: Pentium M 1.8 Ghz / 512MB RAM / 8GB CF Card / Geforce FX Go 5200 64MB

Reply 3 of 5, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can keep the card, but first we want to make sure your system will be OK before continuing to the next step. So, make sure you can power on the system and it starts normally with all networking and related software/hardware uninstalled.

Delete the MSN/Microsoft Network icon off of your desktop. You'll be prompted some blather about it can't go to the recycle bin. Click OK. If you don't have any add/remove optional components related to MSN/Microsoft Network/Networking, then great --> Continue.

If any software related to the NIC was installed from Add/Remove Control Panel or from your start menu with an uninstall process, use this to remove the drivers/software for the Realtek card. Don't reboot. Shutdown instead and remove the Realtek card.

Before continuing, make sure you don't have any other networking component installed which you are using for some other function (like a VPN adapter, NetBEUI, etc.) <-- MSN/Microsoft network MIGHT have components listed here if it was ever installed.

If you still have Network Neighborhood on your desktop, networking hasn't been completely removed. Rick click it, click properties, and remove any component you see remaining. Reboot.

Reply 4 of 5, by Pentium3retro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the advice. I can confirm that now after removing everything i could including the card, rebooting, then starting up again with the card in it and reinstalling the driver it is now working perfectly with no errors.

Thanks again! 😀