VOGONS

First post, by groquik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.
Today, I'm checking my old stuffs and found an isa audio card that seems to be a vibra16 with a true opl3.
But there is not mention of Sound Blaster ou Creative on the pcb. There is no CTxxxx reference but AI-200 Rev 1.0
The main chip is a Vibra16 CT2501.
Is it a clone or a "parallel" serie from creative?

1642892641726426054227982940258.jpg
Filename
1642892641726426054227982940258.jpg
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File comment
Vibra16 AI-200
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could be a SB 16 CT2810 or CT2260, both use this Vibra DSP and have OPL3 with a Wavetable header .. what is the YFM number on the OPL IC ? I cant tell from this picture.

Is there anything on the back of the PCB ?

Reply 3 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Plasma wrote on 2022-01-23, 01:17:

I'm not an expert on Sound Blasters but I've never seen one with a sideways wavetable header. Or without a CT model number. So I'm thinking clone.

Never seen a clone with Sony, Mitsumi and Panasonic IDE Headers, its a weird little card, perhaps OP will give us a photo of the back and a hi res version of the front, it looks like it has a YFM 262 on it.

Could it be a value part from creative ?

Reply 4 of 13, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like an OEM card using a Vibra chipset. I have an ASUS A16C that uses a Vibra chipset. Seems that Creative allowed other manufacturers to licence their chipsets, which makes sense.

If there is an FFC ID on the card you can try to look up the manufacture otherwise, I'm sure the card is PNP, maybe UNISOUND will give you more info when you initialise the card.

s-l400.jpg

Edit: Here is another card from ASUS that uses the Vibra chipset: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Media_Bus

Reply 5 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pan069 wrote on 2022-01-23, 01:25:
Looks like an OEM card using a Vibra chipset. I have an ASUS A16C that uses an Vibra chipset. Seems that Creative allowed other […]
Show full quote

Looks like an OEM card using a Vibra chipset. I have an ASUS A16C that uses an Vibra chipset. Seems that Creative allowed other manufacturers to licence their chipsets, which makes sense.

If there is an FFC ID on the card you can try to look up the manufacture otherwise, I'm sure the card is PNP, maybe UNISOUND will give you more info when you initialise the card.

s-l400.jpg

It has physical jumpers for Base Address, MPU, Game Port and CD IO, cant find one for IRQ, usually PnP cards dont have jumpers.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-01-23, 01:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 13, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-23, 01:38:
Looks like an OEM card using a Vibra chipset. I have an ASUS A16C that uses an Vibra chipset. Seems that Creative allowed other […]
Show full quote

Looks like an OEM card using a Vibra chipset. I have an ASUS A16C that uses an Vibra chipset. Seems that Creative allowed other manufacturers to licence their chipsets, which makes sense.

s-l400.jpg

It has physical jumpers for Base Address and MPU so its not PnP, Game Port and CD IO, cant find one for IRQ, usually PnP cards dont have jumpers.

True. Didn't look at the card to closely... 😀

Reply 7 of 13, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Apparently, there were OEM versions of Vibra cards at some point. Here's a SoundForte branded one that I have: Help me identify this Vibra 16 card

In terms of DOS drivers, it works fine with Creative's SBBASIC.EXE.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 8 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pan069 wrote on 2022-01-23, 01:39:
Show full quote

s-l400.jpg

It has physical jumpers for Base Address and MPU so its not PnP, Game Port and CD IO, cant find one for IRQ, usually PnP cards dont have jumpers.

There was a bit of a crossover era for some cards in the 95-96 timeframe where one jumper could enable PnP on or off, with it on it ignored jumpers, with it off it went by the jumper settings.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-01-23, 04:55:

There was a bit of a crossover era for some cards in the 95-96 timeframe where one jumper could enable PnP on or off, with it on it ignored jumpers, with it off it went by the jumper settings.

Ive had a close look at the pic and I cant find any jumper for that setting but I also cant find a IRQ jumper either so perhaps its one of them weird hybrid PnP cards where a few setting can be set by the PC and the rest are jumper based, I know Creative had a few partial SB16 PnP models.

lack of IRQ jumper is very odd when you have the rest.

Perhaps this is Dell/HP/IBM model based off a Creative reference design, might explain the lack of CT model number or any other Creative branding.

Reply 10 of 13, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-23, 05:54:
Ive had a close look at the pic and I cant find any jumper for that setting but I also cant find a IRQ jumper either so perhaps […]
Show full quote

Ive had a close look at the pic and I cant find any jumper for that setting but I also cant find a IRQ jumper either so perhaps its one of them weird hybrid PnP cards where a few setting can be set by the PC and the rest are jumper based, I know Creative had a few partial SB16 PnP models.

Perhaps this is Dell/HP/IBM model based off a Creative reference design, might explain the lack of CT model number or any other Creative branding.

The photo is very blurry and it's difficult to make out but it looks like the jumpers are for the IDE, MPU and Joystick config. So, from a sound point of view, this is probably just a PnP card. 😀

Reply 11 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pan069 wrote on 2022-01-23, 06:40:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-23, 05:54:
Ive had a close look at the pic and I cant find any jumper for that setting but I also cant find a IRQ jumper either so perhaps […]
Show full quote

The photo is very blurry and it's difficult to make out but it looks like the jumpers are for the IDE, MPU and Joystick config. So, from a sound point of view, this is probably just a PnP card. 😀

Base address is JP2 and Jp4, table for it is next to the Panasonic connector. Having this jumper is why I think its not a full PnP card, its certainly an odd card, would love some sharper pics of front and back and like you suggested Unisound might tell us more.

Reply 12 of 13, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got my hands on one of those cards few days ago.
Googling around I believe it to be an Elitegroup AI-200, which I guess is a Creative clone?
https://fccid.io/H9NAI-200
I found that there is also an Elitegroup AI-101 which uses an Analog Devices AD1846JP chip.

This site have some closeup pictures of the AI-200:
http://www.pcang.com/creative_o_vibra16.htm

The use of all the jumpers on the board is silk-screened, except J12. I wonder is it has anything to do with IRQ or PNP.

Reply 13 of 13, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This thread reminds me of a SB Vibra 16 sound card that has an ICS Wavetable synth from Mediaforte.

That Vibra 16 chip isn't PnP (has jumpers for setting all the resources) and all of the variants using it contains a real YMF-262 OPL3 chip.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS