5. on-board
6. xp media center
7. discworld 2 (original 2 cd version)
8. Unable to locate vesa compatible video card
9. Always
10. Adlib
11. Video Mode?
12. DosBOX 0.65 and 0.70, VDM Sound + Launcher Update
13. Have tried many other steps listed here and other forums.

including:
using disc.bat to install files from cd's
applying discworld 2 version3 patch
adding vbeplus and univbe files to directory and startup.bat

Originally when I ran the HOTU version I could get to the game after the intro screen skipped multiple times, but then it would die after hitting "new game".

I then tried installing the windows version then but that one can never detect the cd. This includes mounting a cd image or having the cd in the actual drive.

I then tried installing the dos version using two methods:
A: the method described above using the disc.bat

B: Actually creating a full dosbox environment and running the install program from the disc. The install program crashes with a general protection fault.

I have tried running the installed dos version (using the disc.bat) method via dosbox and vdmsound. My dosbox batch file goes to the game directory, mounts a cd image, calls univbe, then calls vbeplus, then calls dwb.exe, then unmounts the cd image.

I get the invalid vesa error message.

If I run univbe or vbeplus by themselves from a dosbox prompt they are both unable to find a valid vesa mode. This may be due to my ATI X800XL card - not sure?

If I remember correctly, when I FIRST tried to run discworld 2 it would start - so the VESA issue was not a problem. I don't understand why it is impossible to get past now.

I have yet to see an answer to the responses posted by people whom are having VESA problems with discworld 2. Any help would be much appreciated.

Reply 1 of 15, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seems my problem is that no TSR VESA program recognizes any vesa modes on my card except for vesatest.exe which lists many modes - yet the program packed with it vvesa.com - does not seem to do anything.

I have the latest drivers for my card released February of this year, and have specifically searched ati vesa programs on the web... no luck so far 😒

Reply 2 of 15, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have fixed my problem, and I'm posting this in case anyone comes across my post in the future with the same problem.

While the game repeatedly claimed there was no compatible vesa mode, that was a red herring - it was not the issue at all.

Ultimately I made a iso image of my 2 cd's, and placed them in the directory i installed to using the disc.bat file provided on these forums.

I then copied my daemon.exe file to the directory and wrote a batch file mounting the 1st discworld 2 disc to device 0. (daemon.exe -mount 0,"discworld21.iso")

I then call dosbox using the following line in my batch file:
"C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.70\dosbox.exe" -conf "C:\pcgames\Games\disc2\dosbox.conf" -noconsole -exit -fullscreen

My dosbox.conf file in my game directory has the following lines added to it under autoexec:
--------------------------
mount c c:\
mount L L:\ -t cdrom -ioctl
c:
cd C:\pcgames\Games\disc2
dwb.exe
exit
---------------------------

L: happens to be my device 0 for daemon.

This effectively mounts my cd into dos box, and plays the game perfectly.

Now I just need to figure out how to easily switch to disc 2 when the time comes, and it will be all set, hehe.

Reply 3 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Ehh... You know that DOSBox can mount ISO-images all by itself?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 15, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, i did not know dosbox had a virtual drive built into it.

Or does it require daemon as well?

I'll check into the options.

regarding the idea for getting the second disc mounted - I am trying to get the batch and conf file to do everything for the user - so they don't have to have knowledge of dosbox. I can't mount the second disc to daemon until it actually calls for the disc - which the batch file will have no idea when that time comes.

If I mount it to a second virtual drive then he game won't find it, as it seems to be very specific about only checking one drive for the game.

Am i completely missing something?

Reply 6 of 15, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want it all done by a batch file, read up on IMGMOUNT, it's a dosbox command to mount CD images (and you can mount several in one go and easily switch between them (also with CTRL-F4 if my memory serves me right))

Info should be in the readme

LoneLines list of workarounds for various games in DOSBox:
http://ADogsBox.jellofishi.com

Reply 7 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

And best of all: The ReadMe file comes free with every purchase of DOSBox!

Reply 10 of 15, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The stuff about switching images (ctrl-f4) was not in the readme. I only found it by searching google and an example appeared on some wing commander forums.

Reply 11 of 15, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
imagefile Location of the image files to mount in DOSBox. The location can be on a mounted drive inside DOSBox, or o […]
Show full quote

imagefile
Location of the image files to mount in DOSBox. The location can
be on a mounted drive inside DOSBox, or on your real disk. It is
possible to mount CD-ROM images (ISOs or CUE/BIN) as well, if you
need CD swapping capabilities specify all images in succession.
The CDs can be swapped with CTRL-F4 at any time.

diskimgN.img This can be any number of floppy disk images one wants mounted after DOSBox boots the specified drive l […]
Show full quote

diskimgN.img
This can be any number of floppy disk images one wants mounted after
DOSBox boots the specified drive letter.
To swap between images, hit CTRL-F4 to change from the current disk
to the next disk in the list. The list will loop back from the last
disk image to the beginning.

CTRL-F4 Change between mounted disk-images. Update directory cache for all drives!

So we have at least 3 hints.....

Reply 12 of 15, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The middle quote is very indirect and confusing. There are no examples of a proper line in the readme which shows two iso images being mounted into memory.

Reply 13 of 15, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The first one is (um yes some large example is missing).
But there's everything you need in the two sentences,
how you're supposed to specify the images, how to swap,
and everything at the entry for IMGMOUNT:

if you need CD swapping capabilities specify all images in succession.
The CDs can be swapped with CTRL-F4 at any time.

😀

Reply 14 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I agree, it could be clearer. Just tried it with 4 BIN-images and ran into a nasty surprise. DOSBox could not handle my extremely long paths:

Z:\>imgmount D "C:\Spool\CD images\Wing Commander III\WC3_CD1.bin" "C:\Spool\CD images\Wing Commander III\WC3_CD2.bin" "C:\Spool\CD images\Wing Commander III\WC3_CD3.bin" "C:\Spool\CD images\Wing Commander III\WC3_CD4.bin" -t iso

After re-arranging the path, I succeeded with

Z:\>imgmount D "WC3_CD1.bin" "WC3_CD2.bin" "WC3_CD3.bin" "WC3_CD4.bin" -t iso

Pressing CTRL-F4 now walks me through each of the images, while the DOSBox status window reports

Drive D: diisk 2 of 4 now active
Drive D: diisk 3 of 4 now active
Drive D: diisk 4 of 4 now active
Drive D: diisk 1 of 4 now active

P.S. I also managed to crash DBGL with the long paths 😉