VOGONS

First post, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, something weird. I don't know if this causes any problems, I haven't encountered any so far, but it confuses me and bothers me a little. I'm pretty sure in previous older PCs I've worked on, the CD-rom drive has always been the secondary master. I don't understand why my custom built Windows 98 PC sees it as secondary slave.

The way it's set up: I have a IDE to SD card adapter set up in IDE-1 as a hard disk replacement, with an 80 pin IDE cable with two connectors, one on each end. No extra ones in the middle. This one is recognized as the primary master as it should. Then I have my CD-rom drive connected to IDE-2 with a 40 pin IDE ribbon cable with three connectors, one on each end and one in the middle. But, I'm not using the middle connector, and the CD-rom drive is connected to the connector at the very end.

So I believe this is set up right, it's how I've always done it. So why is it that my BIOS detects it as the secondary slave instead of master?

Reply 5 of 8, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is important is that it's working now.
But that does not explain why the PC see it as the device 1 of the port when CS is selected as it is at the end of the cable. It should be auto-configured as device 0. Maybe there is a bug in the BIOS or the CD-ROM drive firmware... Or maybe it is the cable...

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 8 of 8, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JustRob wrote on 2022-01-23, 01:35:

It wasn't on CS at all, the jumper was set on Slave. I just put it into master, so I haven't tried if CS actually works.

That explains it 😁

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.