VOGONS

First post, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an MSI HD 7970 card and the part at location 0211 is missing (next to the 4 pin fan header on the back of the card).

Anybody have that card that could tell me the markings on the 3 legged part? Without that part the fan won't work.

Thanks

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 1 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The lower res can't read anything pics I'm finding make it seem it's the reference design, or if not, that corner of the circuit is very damn close. However, still can't find a ref design pic that's quite clear enough.

edit: some R9 290s look like they have the same boards... if you read I had one on another thread, I was brainfarting I've got 390s which is unfortunate for this purpose.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 5, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The printing would be pretty tiny on the part so you would need a magnifying glass to read it (or a super high resolution scan).

I think that part is the only thing keeping me for running the card (works ok but with no fan it gets warm until video cuts out).

I have fixed issues with other cards replacing small parts like this. Funny how easy it is to knock something so tiny off a card making it useless.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 4 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By the way, the part location should be Q211 with Q meaning semiconductor/transistor. If you hold the board with the backside to you and the PCIe connector down, it's the part above the 4 pin fan connector back side, in the bottom left corner.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.